None
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1228 posts
210 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Media on Samsung smart TV

Hey guys,

Just bought a UA55D6600 and was wondering if there's anything out there that takes ethernet/wifi to update the media content and then USB to connect to my smart TV while being upgradable in terms of the HDD? I've thought of NAS, but not sure if the USB port works on Samsung Smart TV?

Thanks guys!
My Heatware

[external advertising link removed]
8 replies
Apr 19, 2010
390 posts
127 upvotes
Boucherville
All you need is a DLNA certified device and I think you're set.
That could be another PC in the house with Windows media sharing, or a streamer app (like Servio). I think some NAS also are DLNA certified. (see here for more info)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1228 posts
210 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DaMooli wrote: All you need is a DLNA certified device and I think you're set.
That could be another PC in the house with Windows media sharing, or a streamer app (like Servio). I think some NAS also are DLNA certified. (see here for more info)

Thanks for the reply... hummm ok i went there and do a product search... i guess Dlink 323 is dlna certified as well... so i basically connect this NAS into my router (network) then TV to the router/network, then my TV would be able to see this as a USB HDD? or dlna works entirely different?
My Heatware

Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3401 posts
426 upvotes
Mississauga
i tried 3 things with my samsung tv:

1. wifi adapter (official samsung one) - wifi signal wasn't strong enough, and interface i was dealing with was horrible. you need samsung software on your pc.
2. ethernet connection from router to tv - connection was strong, but again the interface is horrible. you need samsung software on your pc.
3. the best and current solution i use now: ps3, but thats not in everyones budget. good solid HDMI signal, can put on bluray rips on usb, upscales regular dvdrips (i think). no complaints.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1228 posts
210 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mbk.2k3 wrote: i tried 3 things with my samsung tv:

1. wifi adapter (official samsung one) - wifi signal wasn't strong enough, and interface i was dealing with was horrible. you need samsung software on your pc.
2. ethernet connection from router to tv - connection was strong, but again the interface is horrible. you need samsung software on your pc.
3. the best and current solution i use now: ps3, but thats not in everyones budget. good solid HDMI signal, can put on bluray rips on usb, upscales regular dvdrips (i think). no complaints.

Yah, but that's what i would like to avoid.... another remote control.... thought of just connecting it thru hdmi.... but the extra remote control spells disasters for me :(
My Heatware

Nov 18, 2008
120 posts
5 upvotes
agree that the samsung software is terrible. I was using my XBOX but i got a WDTV Live a while ago and it plays everything I throw at it.
Apr 19, 2010
390 posts
127 upvotes
Boucherville
t_mo_t wrote: Thanks for the reply... hummm ok i went there and do a product search... i guess Dlink 323 is dlna certified as well... so i basically connect this NAS into my router (network) then TV to the router/network, then my TV would be able to see this as a USB HDD? or dlna works
entirely different?

You would see the DLNA device share as a media source (kinda like the USB but not exactly) on the TV. If you can access internet on the TV, and your local LAN is setup in a normal manner, yes, it'll be visible. As others have suggested, the interface to browse/play the media might not be the best, but it works.

A DLNA source could be you PC, or the NAS device. Then you have the media players, like WDTV, AppleTV, that can also pull data over the network shares on the PC and play the media without using DLNA.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1228 posts
210 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Hmmm so if i m using the wd live, it would not use the tv's decoder right? that means one extra remote control?

And, if i use NAS, the tv would be able to see each other (both under the same network) and play the media from there? aka using tv's decoder?
My Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)