Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3404 posts
521 upvotes

[Newegg] Mediasonic Homeworx HW150PVR ATSC Tuner/Converter and PVR - $34.99

For those who dumped Rogers and Bell and relying on OTA channels, this could be for you if you want PVR capabilities.

Features:
Converts Digital Broadcast to your Analog TV
Analog Pass Through
Favorite Channel List
Parental Control Function
Auto Tuning
Auto, 16:9 Pillar Box, 16:9 Pan G Scan, 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan G Scan, 4:3 Full, 16:9 Wide Screen
Closed Caption
Real-Time recording & Programmed Time Recording
Timing Start Up & Shut Down
USB Multimedia Player

It seems to have good support from Mediasonic so far:
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewforum.php?f=44

Thanks epa, Bastich & Haz for the update
178 replies
Oct 18, 2006
136 posts
13 upvotes
Nearly bought a $400 Channel Master OTA PVR a few years ago. Unlike this one, it had a built-in hard drive, but it was still hard to justify the cost. There were not many options for stand alone OTA PVR's back then.

Anyhow, thanks OP - ordered one and looking forward to getting it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15175 posts
816 upvotes
Very cool. Thanks OP!

Anybody know what format it records in? If it's a standard like MP4 to transfer over to a phone for viewing even better.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
May 28, 2012
249 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal
I doubt that is mp4, the stream is broadcast in mpg2, they would have to transcord to save in mp4...
NG wrote:
Aug 4th, 2013 10:19 pm
Very cool. Thanks OP!

Anybody know what format it records in? If it's a standard like MP4 to transfer over to a phone for viewing even better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3404 posts
521 upvotes
marcelomanzo01 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2013 10:30 pm
I doubt that is mp4, the stream is broadcast in mpg2, they would have to transcord to save in mp4...
It records in mts
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10447 posts
1184 upvotes
Markham
I have one and so far is pretty good. Just saw the review someone left in newegg. Take that with a grain of salt
No where in the specs did it say it will support clear QAM.
Also most QAM in Canada is encrypted (like Rogers ) so even if this box supports it. It wouldn't work.
But they do have a firmware to enable QAM
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homew ... discussion
64TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 48TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
32TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2012 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Nov 6, 2009
363 posts
37 upvotes
Keigotw wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 1:00 am
I have one and so far is pretty good. Just saw the review someone left in newegg. Take that with a grain of salt
No where in the specs did it say it will support clear QAM.
Also most QAM in Canada is encrypted (like Rogers ) so even if this box supports it. It wouldn't work.
But they do have a firmware to enable QAM
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homew ... discussion
Any pics of the UI?
Dec 18, 2006
825 posts
94 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Myself and a few others purchased this back in June but I returned mine because of all the glitches/bugs as discussed in this thread:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-h ... 61924/201/

Basically it wasn't recording recurring shows properly and had a problem with setting the proper date/time. It's good to see that there have been firmware updates since then. Will wait till they all get sorted out before trying again since it really is a cheap way to add PVR functionality. Bought mine from Canada Computers.

Also, the remote that comes with it is really crappy and if they ever make future models of this thing they should improve button layout.

Oh, I forgot to add that if you are like me and are looking for a converter box anyways to hook up to an old analog TV then this thing is a no-brainer purchase since it costs about the same as a standard non-PVR converter box
Jul 1, 2009
256 posts
69 upvotes
Victoriaville
Was looking into this yesterday. The only that's missing is multiroom. Would really like to have an ethernet port so I could share the files on my network (using media streamers I have all around the house). But I do know it would cost more this way.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2510 posts
168 upvotes
doduv2 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 9:06 am
Was looking into this yesterday. The only that's missing is multiroom. Would really like to have an ethernet port so I could share the files on my network (using media streamers I have all around the house). But I do know it would cost more this way.
you need Windows Mediacenter or XBMC w/PVR addons +HDHOMERUN hardware for this functionality
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
1960 posts
472 upvotes
Anyone know how much can you record ? And how it accomplishes this for such a low price?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3404 posts
521 upvotes
beachlover wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 5:21 pm
Anyone know how much can you record ? And how it accomplishes this for such a low price?
It depends on your hard drive capacity. I'm guessing a 2Tb drive should give you enough space.
The good thing is that the format is either NTFS or FAT32, so you can read it onto a computer and transfer the files over
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1053 posts
45 upvotes
can you install a HDD internally, or do you have to use an external USB drive?
× < >