Personal Finance

Medical expenses tax deduction - eyeglasses?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2008 12:10 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
45 upvotes

Medical expenses tax deduction - eyeglasses?

So the income tax guide says that you can claim eyeglasses as a medical expense but does not specify if this is the prescription lenses only or if this also includes the frames. Taxtips.ca (LINK) says that this indeed includes the frames.

Last year I bought 2 pairs of frames and lenses. Can any tax experts confirm that I can indeed claim both pairs on my income tax? This kind of seems too good to be true.

BTW, I'm filing late but I am getting a refund so it's all good :)
4 replies
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
Yes, you can claim them as long as they were prescribed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
45 upvotes
I'm a little surprised that is the case since medical expenses are not only a deduction, they are partially refunded by the government (line 452).

This means one can purchase designer eyewear and have it partially refunded (25%?) by the government if you have a low income like me (student). Doesn't seem right to me!
Dec 23, 2006
192 posts
jackboot wrote:
May 8th, 2008 3:43 am
I'm a little surprised that is the case since medical expenses are not only a deduction, they are partially refunded by the government (line 452).

This means one can purchase designer eyewear and have it partially refunded (25%?) by the government if you have a low income like me (student). Doesn't seem right to me!
Well a student probably wouldn't have much taxes to get a refund from, since they would be using tuition credits.

If you think that's a big refund... you don't want to see how the government subsidizes political parties with up to 75% refunds on political donations!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2374 posts
53 upvotes
Saskatoon
jackboot wrote:
May 8th, 2008 3:43 am

Medical expenses are not a deduction, they are a non-refundable tax credit.

The refundable medical expense supplement is quite limted. (Line 452)

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individual ... 452-e.html

You may be able to claim a credit of up to $1,022 if all of the following apply:

You have an amount on line 215 on your return or on line 332 of Schedule 1.
You were resident in Canada throughout 2007.
You were 18 or older at the end of 2007.
In addition, the total of the following two amounts has to be $2,984 or more:

your employment income on lines 101 and line 104 (other than amounts received from a wage-loss replacement plan) minus the amounts on lines 207, 212, 229, and 231 (but if the result is negative, use
× < >