• Sep 6th, 2017 3:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7721 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto

Medical files from retired Doctor in Ontario

My family doctor retired 10 years ago. I haven't found a family doctor till now, they tried to reach my old family doctor by their phone # / fax # to retrieve my medical files however voice mail says they are closed. Who can I contact to to get my old medical files?

Thanks!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3293 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
If you haven't seen your doctor for more than 10 yrs then your records are usually destroy.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3588 posts
1120 upvotes
My doctor retired and the records were destroyed within a year.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7721 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto
I thought they were obligated to keep your files for 10 years.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publicat ... al-Records
Adult patients: records must be kept for 10 years from the date of the last entry in the record. Patients who are children: records must be kept until 10 years after the day on which the patient reached or would have reached the age of 18 years.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3588 posts
1120 upvotes
What was supposed to happen: doctor's office calls you to tell you that your records are being moved to a storage service and then you call the storage people and they charge you for a copy. It can get expensive.

Maybe CSPO would have a record of what storage service your doctor is using?
Mar 31, 2017
932 posts
257 upvotes
it is kept at least 4 years, perhaps 7. They aren't obligated to keep it for 10. The good doctor actually has to rent a place to keep the records for that length of time and is a real expense.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6190 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 5:33 pm
it is kept at least 4 years, perhaps 7. They aren't obligated to keep it for 10. The good doctor actually has to rent a place to keep the records for that length of time and is a real expense.
Minimum 10, recommended 15. From the link mentioned above:

Retaining Medical Records
The Regulation requires that physicians keep medical records for the following time periods:

Adult patients: records must be kept for 10 years from the date of the last entry in the record.
Patients who are children: records must be kept until 10 years after the day on which the patient reached or would have reached the age of 18 years.
Physician ceases to practise medicine: records must be retained for the periods outlined above unless:
complete custody and control of the records has been transferred to another person who is legally authorized to hold them, or
each patient has been notified that records will be destroyed two years after the notification and that they may obtain the records or have them transferred to another physician within the two years. 25
Notwithstanding the above requirements from the Regulation, the College recommends that records be maintained for a minimum of 15 years.
Jul 11, 2011
752 posts
447 upvotes
Ontario
My physician wanted about $2/page to copy my old records, so the 15-year history would've been up in the $400 range.

I politely declined and moved on to my new doctor without them.