• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 4:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 2, 2005
81 posts

Mega smart TV box

Seen it at the CNE today. Says you can get pretty much anything. Showed me the live Jay game, movies, TV shows and its episode listings, international channels....pretty much everything. $300. One time fee. Just olugbit in and watch TV.
Now I'm totally new to this stuff, so pardon me as I don't understand these things too much. Not a techie. What's the difference between this and the mega26# TV boxes, which are under $150. And subscriptions to an iptv provider?
Is this box a scam?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1216 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Last year I saw a vendor showing off Kodi, didn't get a chance to get a closer look though, I am assuming this might be the same vendor?

Don't know about these Mega brands, but looking at their site, it is basically a box that runs Kodi. $300 one time fee, but no mention of any kind of specs for the box which is generally the first thing you want to look for when deciding on which box. Fee includes a IPTV Sub, for life? Interesting, never heard of this Mega IPTV. They also suggest the best addon is Genesis, which seems to have issues these days. I am sure they are somewhat legit, especially if they have a booth at CNE, but definitely some questions. You can certainly get Kodi/IPTV, for well under $300.
Feb 21, 2012
239 posts
167 upvotes
Gananoque, ON
It's a software called Kodi with third party addons installed to get all this free content. It's not hard to set up and just about any Android TV Box or computer can run it. $300 is extremely over priced when you can get decent android boxes nowadays for under $100.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4079 posts
454 upvotes
Scarborough
For those that don't know Kodi is just XBMC (Xbox Media Center) renamed to use on Android. The app itself is free on the play store, you just have to add 3rd party plugs-in which is not hard to do. I lot of these plugins get shut down after a while, so even if there's no subscription fee, I'm not sure if it will last forever.
[OP]
May 2, 2005
81 posts
I have his email. I'm gonna email them about the subscription. He told me it auto updates. I'm not sure what updates but something updates which makes it work forever...or so he says.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6060 posts
1696 upvotes
Whitby
n00b711 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 9:00 pm
I have his email. I'm gonna email them about the subscription. He told me it auto updates. I'm not sure what updates but something updates which makes it work forever...or so he says.
There are numerous kijiji sellers offering similar services, or you can purchase a box directly and load these add-ons yourself. Research on the official and unofficial Kodi forums before paying for any subbed service, most are illegal and come and go. Some of the subbed service packages you can by are actually renamed free services.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1042 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Saw this on the 1st saturday and had a little discussion. I asked about subscription in the price - the lady answered there is no subscription because that would be illegal. You are paying for a box with loaded software. My original question was if i had an android box could i use their service.

TBH OP - if you are not a techie or know someone who is - this could be for you except when sites go down then you might have a problem. There are others out there that do sell a service for cheaper and 300 for a box is over priced. What i am looking for is a convenience service that will keep channels going for me - i already set up both my media players with xbmc - just not the same as channel surfing.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1216 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto, ON
n00b711 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 9:00 pm
There's 2 things with this box. The add-ons and the IPTV. Add-ons are just like apps for your phone, every so often you get an update. As I mentioned in previous post, they mention the add-on Genesis as their recommendations. But unless they are the one that made Genesis or any other app, it is not up to them. And recently Genesis has not been working 100% I think the issue here is with, what looks like to me, their own IPTV service. You pay 1 time fee and you can get IPTV forever is what sounds like to me. That part is interesting.

And again, no mentions of any specs for this box, why? Seems like this might be a good deal for someone who does not know Kodi and walking around the CNE and see these guys, hey $300 1 time and I get everything, that sounds like a good deal. I can use my Pi or MX3 that costs under $60-70, get an IPTV sub for $80-100 and be under $200 total.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16213 posts
4342 upvotes
Sounds like the IPTV Stalker paid repo. It was free for several months, but now it's pay. Don't need to pay crazy money for a box and a sub if you want to go down that road...
Sep 4, 2012
93 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
I sawcthecsame mega boxcin home show today. It can play cp24, Fairchild , and pay TV channel. Can I put the IPTV app to any Android box or tvpad?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
1234 posts
283 upvotes
superextoex wrote:
Mar 14th, 2016 7:30 pm
I sawcthecsame mega boxcin home show today. It can play cp24, Fairchild , and pay TV channel. Can I put the IPTV app to any Android box or tvpad?
What box is it? Anymore info?
Jan 13, 2009
100 posts
3 upvotes
http://megasmartbox.com/

The MegaSmart TV Box
Using a Linux operating system with Android applications, the Mega Smart TV Box is one of the fastest, most modern and best devices on the market today.
The MegaSmart TV Box is built on a Linux operating system with Android applications installed on top of it. There is no version of android which needs to be updated, as is the case with other streaming devices. With the MegaSmart TV Box, you are getting a stable, well built and well thought out product.

That is exactly what you do in Mega TV! Watching live streaming TV from the internet has never been better. Mega TV is far superior to the add-ons native to Kodi and other streaming devices on the market. Mega TV is simple, easy-to-use and offers an abundance of channel selection. Unlike live TV in Kodi, buffering and image quality are of no concern within Mega TV. Enjoy!

Anyone have an opinion about this box?
Feb 23, 2008
781 posts
55 upvotes
Back at CNE. Like the channel idea but wonder about subscription
Feb 26, 2007
45 posts
12 upvotes
I've had this box now for 11 months. Horrible. Looked so promising at the mall (Gerrard Square in Toronto). But I've had nothing but problems with it.

Constant stuttering and buffering. Success rate is about 50% as most of the streams goes down. You are better off getting a paid subscription. Waste of $350 :(

If anyone wants to buy my box and try it. Holler.