Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6423 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver

Megathreads need to be purged, new ones created

Just my opinion. Sifting though thousands of posts, regardless if you're using the search feature is time consuming, frustrating, and annoying. It's standard practice on Reddit to purge and lock "full" megathreads.
7 replies
Jul 5, 2004
23279 posts
2845 upvotes
I don't disagree. I personally avoid mega threads because I can't find any useful info in them. You either need to follow them from the beginning or you'll be lost. I don't know if I necessarily agree with purging threads after a certain number of replies though
Dec 25, 2017
523 posts
422 upvotes
It's literally impossible to find the information one wants from those megathreads. Any good information is gone within a few newly created pages unless a separate thread is made.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31374 posts
6046 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 11:35 pm
I don't disagree. I personally avoid mega threads because I can't find any useful info in them. You either need to follow them from the beginning or you'll be lost. I don't know if I necessarily agree with purging threads after a certain number of replies though
Here are a few from 2009 in one forum that would fit the "general policy" for locking.
All of these are very old and much of the int=fo is dated and no longer valid.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/when-she ... ar-782140/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-me-a ... ms-817769/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-w ... rs-633922/
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10231 posts
16228 upvotes
Scarborough
I agree that some threads are better off to be ended and started new. Just today I did that for a thread on A&W coupons. In other cases I don't see much benefit in doing that. Would the windows and doors thread be more digestible if it were cut off every 100 replies and there were 72 archived versions of it? Or is the question here that these types of threads should not exist, and that each new discussion on the subject should be a new thread?

It was always my opinion that these threads were created to reduce clutter (rather then having many threads on the same subject) by containing the discussions within a single thread. Yes, this makes them harder to read if multiple discussions are taking place at the same time but having multiple threads on the same subject would cause even more complaints.

That being said, I'm more than happy to explore options into how these threads are handled and making changes that'll benefit everyone.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1507 upvotes
Grimsby
I agree with Tom, it significantly reduces clutter for "Ask and get an Answer" type threads. For example dash cams in the Auto sub. We don't need a new thread for every dash cam installation or recommendation, having a megathread only makes sense and people can look at the last page or two or ask a question. Another member suggested stickies for these things to me in PM but the issue with that is that the stickies will get outdated quickly and you get forum bloat if there are too many.

For the more ongoing discussion type of threads, it would probably be better if they were restarted after awhile. Another forum I'm on does this, after X replies they get locked and its up to a new OP to keep the discussion going. This had some SEO implications for them though IIRC. I feel like this happens organically sometimes, new car models in Auto or new phones in the Cell sub for example. That said there are definitely areas where a subject has become cumbersome to discuss due to page length.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10231 posts
16228 upvotes
Scarborough
Redmask wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 12:03 pm
This had some SEO implications for them though IIRC.
This is my main concern as we receive a lot of traffic from Google. It's also partially related to the "necro bumping" thread because new users are brought to our site from Google and then try to continue a conversation which may have been dead for 1-10 years (but that's another issue entirely). I don't think this would necessarily stop us from trying things out though because most of those threads are not in Hot Deals and Hot Deals threads are the ones we're most concerned with.

I'll try to think up a few solutions we can try. If anyone else has an idea, please feel free to share it here.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2417 posts
600 upvotes
Kingston
Maybe this is worthy of a different thread altogether but perhaps you need a section of the forum devoted to “begging for coupons” since that seems to be happening more and more in hot deals threads now. It’s harder to track what’s actually happening with the product discussion if you’re shifting through hundreds of “please can I have a coupon” requests plus each one bumps the thread to the top so the casual browser thinks some development has occurred.

Edit. I see the experimental coupon thread now. I’m not sure posters are totally aware of it?