• Jun 17th, 2018 10:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 18, 2014
31 posts
14 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Melamine Panels

I am planing to build custom closet cabinet shelving/drawers and was wondering if anyone knows if there are other suppliers of white melamine boards/panels besides hardware stores such as HD, Lowes, Rona etc.? I did some research online but it seems there are no options other than the aforementioned hardware stores.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7165 posts
4112 upvotes
Edmonton
weltmeister wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:30 pm
I am planing to build custom closet cabinet shelving/drawers and was wondering if anyone knows if there are other suppliers of white melamine boards/panels besides hardware stores such as HD, Lowes, Rona etc.? I did some research online but it seems there are no options other than the aforementioned hardware stores.
My first question would be "Why not those stores?" Maybe someone can help you with the root issue.

Around here, you can find it at any building supply store. Totem, Windsor Plywood, etc.

C
Aug 18, 2014
479 posts
265 upvotes
Markham, ON
Actually I want to know where you can buy those melamine panel as well. But I am not looking for plain white.
(I agree if you are just looking for white, why not get them from homedepot or most big hardware stores?)

I wanted different colors. (e.g. modern grey, or white washed wood colors etc)
Like when contractors renovate commercial space/offices, where do they get all those different color melamine samples? (I remember seeing some booklet samples of melamine from contractor doing renovation for office)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7165 posts
4112 upvotes
Edmonton
pinkdonut wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:10 pm
Actually I want to know where you can buy those melamine panel as well. But I am not looking for plain white.
(I agree if you are just looking for white, why not get them from homedepot or most big hardware stores?)

I wanted different colors. (e.g. modern grey, or white washed wood colors etc)
Like when contractors renovate commercial space/offices, where do they get all those different color melamine samples? (I remember seeing some booklet samples of melamine from contractor doing renovation for office)
Did you try typing "grey melamine sheets Toronto" into Google, which turns up links like:
https://mcfaddens.com/c-778-melamine.aspx#[PageNumber(0)|PageSize(20)|PageSort(CreatedOn)|DisplayType(Grid)]
http://www.peacocklumber.ca/pricing-plywood
http://robertbury.com/products/

C
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4870 posts
1621 upvotes
Paris
Brant custom wood sells white 5/8” melamine for 28 bucks a sheet and 3/4 for 33 bucks. Way cheaper than box stores.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2014
31 posts
14 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The big box stores have limited selection and the quality of the material is so-so. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3190 posts
718 upvotes
Ottawa
weltmeister wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 7:56 am
The big box stores have limited selection and the quality of the material is so-so. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated!
Agreed, the quality of the big box stuff can be variable and often quite sketchy. Try Commonwealth Plywood.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4870 posts
1621 upvotes
Paris
weltmeister wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 7:56 am
The laminates are thicker on the small place stuff in my experience.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Aug 18, 2014
479 posts
265 upvotes
Markham, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:17 pm
Did you try typing "grey melamine sheets Toronto" into Google, which turns up links like:
https://mcfaddens.com/c-778-melamine.aspx#[PageNumber(0)|PageSize(20)|PageSort(CreatedOn)|DisplayType(Grid)]
http://www.peacocklumber.ca/pricing-plywood
http://robertbury.com/products/

C
Didn't know peacock lumber carry melamine panel

But I was more looking for shops that specialize in melamine panels. (i.e. carry more than a dozen different colors instead of 2-3, also carry matching edge banding for every colors)
I also notice some melamine panel have nicer texture than others. For example the white melamine panel from homedepot have this cheap looking texture to it. But I have seen some white melamine furniture with a smoother, silk like texture to it.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9745 posts
4056 upvotes
Ottawa
pinkdonut wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:15 pm
Didn't know peacock lumber carry melamine panel

But I was more looking for shops that specialize in melamine panels. (i.e. carry more than a dozen different colors instead of 2-3, also carry matching edge banding for every colors)
I also notice some melamine panel have nicer texture than others. For example the white melamine panel from homedepot have this cheap looking texture to it. But I have seen some white melamine furniture with a smoother, silk like texture to it.
The only shop that would have that is Richelieu (closest to you is in Mississauga). They supply most big box stores with the plain white ones but they probably stock over 450 different colours, veneers, grains and finishes of melamine for professional carpenters. They have every colour imaginable and some odd ones like a slate look, concrete, jeans/denim, wool knit and I've even seen a skating rink print. It's not open to the public, you'll need to know a contractor who has an account with them.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
May 18, 2008
724 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
weltmeister wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:30 pm
If you provide me a cutlist I can give you a quote. I also provide installation
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3599 posts
2749 upvotes
Toronto
An alternative if you can't get access the companies suggested above are tabletops and other flat items (closet/cabinet doors, etc.) from IKEA:

LINK

Comes in more colours than the big box stores (you have to choose one, then see what colours it comes in), and usually there are tons of them in the "as is" section for a fraction of the normal price. Some of them are for commercial/office use and much better quality than the normal panels you get. I'm currently typing on an IKEA office-grade table top I got from the as is section for $10. No edgebanding, but you can put the cut ends on the sides of the shelves that you don't see.

EDIT: typos
Last edited by jm1 on Jun 18th, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5304 posts
5195 upvotes
Toronto
My local ReStore at Bermondsey frequently seems to have melamine panel boards for sale (leftovers from bulk kitchen work or something.) Various finishes/colors.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)