[OP]
May 11, 2015
152 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Memory Card and Lens

Hello,

I have a couple of things I'd like to ask for an opinion of:

1) I am looking to get to a take more videos than solely pictures on my DSLR and was looking to invest in getting more memory card(s). What are your favorite brands and how much would you recommend? I was thinking of getting one or two 128GB memory cards, as I will be away for nearly a month for vacation soon - I will bring my laptop and / or external hard drive in case I need to transfer to free up space.

On another note, where would you recommend purchasing it for the best bang for the buck?

2) I currently own the following set up and wanted to ask for an advice on which camera body to get rid of, and whether I should rid of a lens (55-250mm is what I'm thinking):

Bodies:
Canon T5i body
Canon T6i body

Lenses:
Canon 10-22mm USM with Hoya filter and lens hood
Canon 18-135mm STM with Hoya filter and lens hood
Canon 50mm STM with Hoya filter and lens hood
Canon 55-250mm STM with Hoya filter and lens hood
* don't use the 55-250mm much but was looking to see if anyone would recommend keeping it for any reason
4 replies
[OP]
May 11, 2015
152 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've thought about that and wish Costco sells the larger SD / SDHC cards, but I've also heard that using a microUSB adapter on a DSLR may in brief cause some lag in the transferring of data and may consequently lead to a lack of ability to have continuous burst shots at moments, and may also lead to a loss of fragment of data leading to an incomplete photo shot at time.

What are your thoughts on what I have heard?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
This gets brought up everytime MicroSD is mentioned and I think concern started at the early days when they just came out and their speed was slightly less than the equivalent SD then you add an adapter which may slow it down even more plus the MicroSD were more expensive for the same size and speed back then.

However, things have gone the other way around for speed and price. Plus now, MicroSD has been around for a few years and there should be very concrete proof to show with an adapter they may or may not cause these issues but (someone may prove me wrong) can you find it ?

Seem at most, some test that some a slight speed different for the microSD with or without an adapter but nothing of real concern. The funny thing too is some SD cards are just a MicroSD with a permanent adapter so the line between full size SD / MicroSD is not as defined. However, the sure thing is MicroSD is more future proof for down grading to other devices than an SD will be.
FoodieEd wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:00 pm
I've thought about that and wish Costco sells the larger SD / SDHC cards, but I've also heard that using a microUSB adapter on a DSLR may in brief cause some lag in the transferring of data and may consequently lead to a lack of ability to have continuous burst shots at moments, and may also lead to a loss of fragment of data leading to an incomplete photo shot at time.

What are your thoughts on what I have heard?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1470 posts
42 upvotes
I bought 3 Sandisk extreme pro microsd 64 gb at amazon. I would suggest getting u3 v30.

Definitely go with the T6i. Dont bother with the 50-250 unless you are doing wildlife and even then that still kinda short.

I decided to get an 18-135 so i dont have to bring my 75-300 and 18-55. So my upcoming trip I will be bringing a 10-18, 18-135 and 50. STM lenses are very quiet when doing videos.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery