Shopping Discussion

memory express.com charged my credit and now refusing to ship the product without government ID scans?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2020 12:12 pm
Apr 5, 2016
3 posts
5 upvotes

memory express.com charged my credit and now refusing to ship the product without government ID scans?

Hi, I ordered a full cart of pc parts from memory express on wednesday. They charged my card but all they keep saying is they can't ship anything without additional verification.

They said the shipping address did not match the billing so I told them they can send the parts to the billing address and now they are asking for copies of bank statements, and government ID scans?
This seems like such a nightmare.

The total they charged was over $2000 dollars. How can a company like this be allowed to charge you when the seemingly have no intention of shipping?
Does anyone know what I should do?
17 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Vetquestion wrote: Hi, I ordered a full cart of pc parts from memory express on wednesday. They charged my card but all they keep saying is they can't ship anything without additional verification.

They said the shipping address did not match the billing so I told them they can send the parts to the billing address and now they are asking for copies of bank statements, and government ID scans?

The total they charged was over $2000 dollars. How can a company like this be allowed to charge you when the seemingly have no intention of shipping?
Because it's 2 different addresses they're protecting themselves.

Just give them the scans and be done with it.

By the way whenever you order with 2 different addresses something always comes up stating their may be issues or delays.
Feb 15, 2006
125 posts
26 upvotes
WallyWorld
ME didn't actually charge your cc. There would be a "pending" entry on your CC. The $2k amount is reserved and unavailable from your limit. If you don't go through with your purchase, the pending charge will be removed in a few days, depending on the CC institution and the reserved amount will be released/available.

From ME FAQ:
When does my credit card get charged?

When you place an order on our website we immediately place a hold on your credit card reserving the funds needed to complete the transaction. However, your credit card is not actually charged until the day your item(s) ship.
Along with the address issue, the other reason they are asking for info is they are just trying to protect themselves from fraud/chargeback issues on larger orders.

Either contact them as @XtremeModder suggested and provide the info requested, or cancel your order.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
This is no different than most online merchants.. you make any purchase and it holds a pending entry on your CC until it ships.

Just cancel the order if you don't want to go through all that hassle and just re-order when the pending transaction falls off your account.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
If you lost your credit card and someone fraudulently used it to order stuff online, to be shipped to a different address, wouldn’t you be glad if the retailer red flagged the order?

Cancel and reorder at the billing address and there shouldn’t be any issues.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Are you serious? You are complaining that a company is verifying a first time 2000$ order to an address that does not match the billing?
Uh...do what they ask?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Vetquestion wrote:
It's a large purchase shipped to a different location, and their request for validation is quite reasonable. Either update your address to reflect the billing information or provide the validation they are requesting.

You're welcome.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Apr 5, 2016
3 posts
5 upvotes
LazyDog wrote: ME didn't actually charge your cc. There would be a "pending" entry on your CC. The $2k amount is reserved and unavailable from your limit. If you don't go through with your purchase, the pending charge will be removed in a few days, depending on the CC institution and the reserved amount will be released/available.

From ME FAQ:

Along with the address issue, the other reason they are asking for info is they are just trying to protect themselves from fraud/chargeback issues on larger orders.

Either contact them as @XtremeModder suggested and provide the info requested, or cancel your order.
ok im seriously sketched out now because I called them to ask if this is for real they asked me to forward the e-mail of the guy that mailed me and said "he doesn't work here" when I told them they have 71 negative reviews online of people complaining of the same thing he said he didn't know that and told me my order was being processed and would be shipped soon
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Well, I wouldn't have sent my Government ID and bank statements either.

And now this turns out to be yet another phishing scam.

BTW - I made a $2000.- + purchase just yesterday using MasterCard.
MasterCard just sent a six-digit validation number to my email address to validate the purchase and then it went through without a hitch.
Seems a good way to help prevent fraud with large CC purchases.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I wouldn't send personal info either.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Vetquestion wrote: ok im seriously sketched out now because I called them to ask if this is for real they asked me to forward the e-mail of the guy that mailed me and said "he doesn't work here" when I told them they have 71 negative reviews online of people complaining of the same thing he said he didn't know that and told me my order was being processed and would be shipped soon
Yay. You called them. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'he doesn't work here' thing. I recall once I was doing contract work with a company, photo ID and all, but someone wanted to confirm my credentials. Fine. They phoned the company's general switch and asked if I worked there, and were told that I didn't Why? The employee at the other end of the phone didn't look on the correct database since I was on contract.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Vetquestion wrote: Hi, I ordered a full cart of pc parts from memory express on wednesday. They charged my card but all they keep saying is they can't ship anything without additional verification.

You answered your own question. You ordered over $2000.00 dollars worth of product and with all the fraud in this world they want the address to match the card. Nothing wrong with that. If you want the product give them what they want.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
What if you purchased something using credit card for someone else as a gift, and you put their name/address.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
test9251 wrote: What if you purchased something using credit card for someone else as a gift, and you put their name/address.
I do that quite often, but then again, those gifts are not $2000.- items.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
test9251 wrote: What if you purchased something using credit card for someone else as a gift, and you put their name/address.
All merchants ask for a billing address that must match your credit card address and most offer a shipping address.
Feb 11, 2018
52 posts
16 upvotes
Qc
LazyDog wrote: ME didn't actually charge your cc. There would be a "pending" entry on your CC. The $2k amount is reserved and unavailable from your limit. If you don't go through with your purchase, the pending charge will be removed in a few days, depending on the CC institution and the reserved amount will be released/available.

From ME FAQ:

I know this is a bit of a necro however I was looking on information on Memex and cancelling orders with them and this thread came up.

Memex does indeed charge your CC BEFORE they ship sometimes. I have a 5800x back-ordered, online order with shipping to my house option, with them and they charged my CC and it went from pending to charged and I even paid it off so as not to have to pay interest and I am still at the "waitingforparts" stage even though now over 1 week later they have 40+ of the cpu for sale for in store picks.

They are not respecting their back order queues at all plus are charging your CC.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)