Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Memory Express

Edgerouter-X - $60 - $9 shipping or free instore pickup - best budget enterprise router.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2018 10:19 am
Sep 19, 2007
409 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
derrickrose wrote: Yeah I wanted to know if it would be compatible with the new ax access points.
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends if you plan on trying to max the throughput of an 802.11ax access point since I don't think the ER-X performs well at gigabit+ speeds
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1161 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
oAndrew8 wrote: Is it better to connect an ethernet from my modem -> edgerouter -> computer vs just modem -> router?
What you have described is the exact same thing. The Edgerouter is still just a router. It's just a better router because the manufacturer actually cares about their product quality and security.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2012
1200 posts
221 upvotes
BlueFyre wrote: Maybe. Maybe not. Depends if you plan on trying to max the throughput of an 802.11ax access point since I don't think the ER-X performs well at gigabit+ speeds
can you recommend something that could handle gigabit+ speeds? also an AP that can as well
Sep 19, 2007
409 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
derrickrose wrote: can you recommend something that could handle gigabit+ speeds? also an AP that can as well
I don't think there are any 802.11ax APs from Ubiquiti yet. So the best you can do with them at the moment would be the UAP‑HD or UAP-nanoHD
They're not that cheap in terms of an access point. Maybe using a consumer router would be better (in AP only mode) if you don't have many wireless clients

For a router capable of gigabit internet, you'll want at minimum EdgeRouter Lite if not beyond. The EdgeRouter 4 would probably be the better option for as fast as possible speeds

Likely all of this is overkill. FWIW I use an ERL + AP-AC-Pro at home at that is sufficient for my needs. Gigabit wired, and ~450Mbit wireless within line of sight of the AP
If you need more info maybe ask over on /r/Ubiquiti
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2286 posts
1043 upvotes
BC
syuzh wrote: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66102

If you're still using consumer routers, it's time to upgrade.

Pair this with a Unifi AC lite and you've got yourself a reliable budget enterprise setup. UAP-AC-LITE: you can price beat with Amazon, Newegg, etc. $115-$120. Total around $180.
With the latest updates on the Edgerouter, there's built-in wizards to quickly configure everything with a few clicks. Also, security updates are released frequently.

The Unifi can be configured with a smartphone app or with a computer.

Fetchcart is better if you need it shipped: https://www.fetchcart.ca/products/ubiqu ... -port.html (Thank Gonad)
UAP-AC-Lite: https://www.fetchcart.ca/products/ubiqu ... pping.html

FAQ
Why would I want this?
Reliability; routers aren't supposed to require a reboot every week, start slowing down for no reason, or have random hiccups.
Security updates; timely patches for new vulnerabilities.
Highly configurable; can do things like load-balancing / failover with 2 internet connections, convert to a switch with PoE input and output, remote VPN gateway, much more. Great for learning networking too.
Cheap; You will not find anything else with as many features and updates all packaged together in a nice small device for $60.

Gigabit? It's 2018. Yes.

Average consumer - easy to set up? No, but the manual and guides are very informative with visual examples.

How do I do (insert question)? Ubiquiti has guides for just about everything. You can start at the beginner guide here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... EdgeRouter

What's QOS / Packet Sniffing / VLAN / etc.? For your average home user, you'll never touch these. If you have a need for them, you'll learn the limitations and what they do. You can find everything in the guides: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... Offloading

Recommended steps for initial set up:
1. Download latest firmware (1.10.8 as of now) https://www.ubnt.com/download/edgemax/edgerouter-x
2. Follow included instructions on how to connect to router (need to manually set your computer IP)
3. Login (ignore pop-up to setup wizard for now) -> System (bottom left) -> Update firmware (scroll down)
4. Update firmware. (optional: do factory reset after if you messed with any settings)
5. Go to the Wizards tab (if the pop-up doesn't show up).
6. Most common setup is Basic Setup (WAN+1LAN). Refer to the beginner's guide for what each option does.
You should mention that you still need to update the bootloader. AFAIK, they still don't update that at factory for new ER-X's.

Also, have they gotten load balancing fixed yet? Lost so much time troubleshooting dual wan setup only to discover it was poorly implemented, didn't work, and they have no QA besides the public.

Ubiquiti gear should never be considered Enterprise. They don't do their own QA and support.
Lucky Mobile: $20/3GB Unlimited Canada wide calling. DMINR
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
Deal dead? Showing $80 for me.
Great router!
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1781 posts
2401 upvotes
GPS - error
You will get gigabit speeds on the er-x with new firmwares:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... Offloading

Mind you gigabit speeds when the box isn’t doing anything ...

Also er-x is cheap cheap, it’s a mediatek device so that says it right there.

There’s new alpha 2.0 firmware that finally upgrades debian on these er units
from wheezy (2013) to jessie (2015) so they’ll be running cutting edge software :)

I would never expose the management interfaces of these devices to the internet,
Mikrotik and ubiquity are not exactly where one looks for if they want security, lol.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
derrickrose wrote: Yeah I wanted to know if it would be compatible with the new ax access points.
for 60 bucks? the ax clients will cost more. ax ap and routers start at 350 usd don't they?

the soc on this is quite good. dual core 2 threads per core open source with hardware nat capable in open source. I use another router with this soc( with padavan firmware) and it hasn't needed a reboot in years. Plus it runs about half the power consumption of a broadcom equivalent. Maybe 5-6watts
Nov 21, 2010
551 posts
378 upvotes
Surrey
What most consumers tend to not know/understand is that the thing they purchase and put after the modem by ISP is actually three devices in one. The thing that is commercially advertised towards consumers and called a "router" is actually a "router" (L3 network routing), "switch" (L2 routing/VLAN), and "access point" (WiFi). This device (personally I'm on the USG line, but they're similar) is just the router component. And while it is possible to do with just UAP for the access point component, omitting the switch component, it is still not the "complete package" that will get you up and running.

Also, another thing people coming from consumer grade stuff will find different is good setup doesn't "blanket your house with WiFi" with just 1 access point. The coverage of UAP will be much smaller than that of the consumer router. This is because you're going to get better performance when you have lesser noise, and the best way to achieve good WiFi around the site is to have many access points mounted at strategic places to provide good coverage while roaming from one AP to another. If you have an 800 sqft single floor space, 1 AP can probably provide good enough coverage; once you go above 1000 sqft, or multiple floors, you'd probably want more than 1 AP to cover specific area(s).

This setup is very valuable, especially as we move towards more connected devices. One of such example is IOT... Did you know most NetGear consumer grade routers (combo devices) can only handle 32 devices on one frequency? It's true! Meanwhile, DLink AC1750 Router only recommend 10! Meanwhile, the UAP AC line (lite, pro, and hd) typically support 200+. I am very happy with my setup (USG + US-8-60W + 2 UAP NanoHD), but there are learning curves and most people need to read up quite a bit before they'd be comfortable with this kind of setup (as opposed to the typical consumer grade stuff or more modern mesh offerings).
Nov 19, 2009
450 posts
128 upvotes
Windsor
I know people love these things, but after using one for a few months and ended up going back to tomato-based router. I've been using a Ubiquity UAP for the AP already and was looking forward to pairing it with the Edgerouter-X. And it's pretty damn nice indeed, especially for the price - but there was more than a few features I made regular use of on my old tomato router I just couldn't give up (bandwidth charts over time, a nice ui for wake on lan). I had issues with the vpn on this router as well (had to use pptp to bypass work firewalls, and for reasons I never figured out, there was lots of content it didn't work with).

In the end, I picked up one of the t-mobile branded asus rt-ac68u in the US for close to the same price. I really wish I could have used this guy, as it had some features I really liked, but it just didn't suit me.
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
ram77 wrote: I know people love these things, but after using one for a few months and ended up going back to tomato-based router. I've been using a Ubiquity UAP for the AP already and was looking forward to pairing it with the Edgerouter-X. And it's pretty damn nice indeed, especially for the price - but there was more than a few features I made regular use of on my old tomato router I just couldn't give up (bandwidth charts over time, a nice ui for wake on lan). I had issues with the vpn on this router as well (had to use pptp to bypass work firewalls, and for reasons I never figured out, there was lots of content it didn't work with).

In the end, I picked up one of the t-mobile branded asus rt-ac68u in the US for close to the same price. I really wish I could have used this guy, as it had some features I really liked, but it just didn't suit me.
If you have the knowledge and desire to go to the next level you could try and install pfsense on a SBC. I think a lot of people use ubiquiti's wireless products paired with better routing/switching solutions. I love my UAC AP, it covers my whole house pretty decently but I find their system caters for easy deployment and management of many units but ultimately, I'm guessing most real world deployments still go through a proper firewall.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)