Computers & Electronics

Memory Stick Pro Duo (BEWARE OF FAKES - READ if u plan to buy a mspd)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2008 12:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2141 posts
55 upvotes
not even willing to buy nike shox from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] having heard rumours that all those shoes coming from china r also counterfeit - anyone hear news on these?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1102 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
blues45 wrote:most sellers still have tons of positive feedback, but theres still undisputable evidence that there r fakes out there, and even if their sticks work fine, how would the warranty work if something goes wrong?

im not wiling to take a chance, was close to going to [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] for a stick before this
Good point. I am only looking at how people's experience with fake memory sticks are.
Jun 25, 2003
989 posts
7 upvotes
if the mem stick is fake and it works than it is great dat is what I think. And seriously if your's broke then it was your fault to take the risk anyways. If u want a real 2 gig memstick and don't want to take the risk then pay the 600 at sony.

Hey just gotta accept that we are living in an imperfect world.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
bmw_xperience wrote:if the mem stick is fake and it works than it is great dat is what I think. And seriously if your's broke then it was your fault to take the risk anyways. If u want a real 2 gig memstick and don't want to take the risk then pay the 600 at sony.

Hey just gotta accept that we are living in an imperfect world.
Selling someone something that you tell them is fake is fine.

Selling something that you say is real but is a fake is a scam.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1102 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
Narci wrote:Selling someone something that you tell them is fake is fine.

Selling something that you say is real but is a fake is a scam.
I completely agree. Honestly I didn't think this was an incrediable deal, just a fairly good deal. I was told that the 2GB cards were 220$ CDN. I didn't check out the sony store online.

So, I thought this was a real product, but from an Asian market.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1102 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
Here are some pics of my card from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. The product seems very good build quality. Text is etched in the back, and nothing rubs off. Also, it appears to be a sticker kind of label (like the images on sonystyle.com show).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

The build quality seems a little better then my lexar, and on par with the 32MB card that came with my PSP.

Oh, and even though the auction said it would come with a sandisk adapter, it came with a sony one. However, the adapter was only in the box, not in the packaging.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1102 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
peoples_Flip wrote:Here are some images that I recently got a hold of....

Hopefully these images will help out: (this was purchased from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink])
Have you had any issues with yours yet?

I have been filling up mine, and trying to use it a lot to see if it stumbles. Nothing yet.

Not 100% sure if these are fakes, or just and older production line. From this blog post, it appears sony decided to stop production of this line, and added in the U model (extra U on end).

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... :o fficial
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... l%26sa%3DG

Perhaps that explains the price difference. I believe the going price of a new sony 2GB should be around 250$ CDN.

Here is a direct sony link:
http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en ... l%26sa%3DG
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1439 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
juched wrote:Have you had any issues with yours yet?

I have been filling up mine, and trying to use it a lot to see if it stumbles. Nothing yet.

Not 100% sure if these are fakes, or just and older production line. From this blog post, it appears sony decided to stop production of this line, and added in the U model (extra U on end).

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... :o fficial
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... l%26sa%3DG

Perhaps that explains the price difference. I believe the going price of a new sony 2GB should be around 250$ CDN.

Here is a direct sony link:
http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en ... l%26sa%3DG
Well I've filled it up to about 80MB Free and still no issues (fingers crossed) and hopefully will not run into any problems.
Proud member of RFD for over 12 YEARS!
Heatware (64-0-0)
Layin' the smackdown on RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1102 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
reply number 9:

"I haven't had any issues as of yet. But I've done some research on these memory sticks prior to buying. The consensus is that they are in fact fake. I would have to say that it isn't authentic, but like I said, I have had no issues so far. I hope this helps. "

I personally do not believe this is neccessarily true. My theory is that sony cancelled the japan model MSX-M2GN and replaced it with the MSX-M2GNU (as I can see from the blog posting and the sony link I posted before). From the FAQ on the japan sony site, there is no difference between these 2 models, but had to do with a change in the manufacturer, probably because of poor quality. (perhaps this explains the new vs. old packaging we are seeing?).

So, that would explain the poor quality control that we are hearing about with these cards. Also, from my understanding, older models, or last years model of any electronic item does not sell well in japan. They discontinued selling the non-U model in late novemeber/early dec (I read nov 25 or dec 1). Soon afterwards the guy I bought from started selling these cards from china (dec 10th I believe). Could that mean they dumped the older cards for cheap trying to clear their inventory?

Just a theory... but my card is now registered with sony.ca for warranty, and they claim it has a 12 month warranty.

Also, it appears that the Japanese version doesn't ship with an adapter, which would explain why mine was just added into the box.

Lets see.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1439 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
juched wrote:"... Just a theory... but my card is now registered with sony.ca for warranty, and they claim it has a 12 month warranty..."
How did you register your memory card with Sony.ca? Don't they need a serial number for that? I don't think yours came with a serial number (I could be wrong).

PM back and let me know how you did this... I would greatly appreciate it.
Heatware (64-0-0)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
You can register a japanese region item on the .ca site?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1102 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
Narci wrote:You can register a japanese region item on the .ca site?
I used the number under the model number as the serial. They seemed to accept it no problem. Worst case, theydon't accept it, but having a registration may only help my case if I have a problem with it later.

I can register I figure since they advertise the MSX 2G model on the sony.ca site.

Here is the email I got from sony ( used x's to remove any personal information, i figure i already showed the serial number in the picture i took!).

Dear xxx,

Thank you for taking the time to register your recent purchase with Sony. We hope you are now enjoying your newest Sony product.

Please take the time to verify that the product registration information you have provided is correct. If any of the information is incorrect, please contact us at 1-888-289-7669 to update your records.
Product: MSXM2GN
Serial #: E418Z1B
Purchase Date: 12/30/2005
Name: xxx xxx
Home Telephone: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Business Telephone:
E-mail Address: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

Thanks again for registering your products with Sony!

Best Regards,
Sony of Canada Ltd.
www.sony.ca
1-888-289-7669
Monday to Friday, 9am - 8pm
Saturday 10am - 4pm
(Eastern Standard Time)
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1439 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Here are some images that I recently got a hold of....

Hopefully these images will help out: (this was purchased from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink])

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Heatware (64-0-0)
Dec 15, 2004
616 posts
10 upvotes
Hi, can someone please tell me if these ones look authentic?

Thanks! :)
× < >