Computers & Electronics

Memory Stick Pro Duo (BEWARE OF FAKES - READ if u plan to buy a mspd)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2008 12:46 pm
Tags:
Jan 1, 2004
142 posts
Toronto
Another way to differentiate them is to check the seal of the package, the real one has full seal, but the fake one only seals six points.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3160 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
andyyuen wrote:i don't know.... i can't say 100% ...

but the ones @ sony store all have it
soooo....

u decide
you scaring me lol just bought 2 off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]

but check it out here

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en ... en%26lr%3D

It says adapter not included so it still might be real

EDIT: Translation didn't work just put the link in google I guess
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3160 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
yes but that's in Canada, meaning canadian packaging

we're buying Japanese packaging at least from the picture and it doesn't include an adapter as shown in my link if you translate it of course
Jan 1, 2004
142 posts
Toronto
Here is a link from one of the forum in China, this article tell you how to differentiate real and fake MSPD. Any one who can read Chinese please check this article, My English is not good enough to translate it, if you are good in English please translate it.

http://www.cngba.com/read.php?tid=31080 ... 7%E9%B0%F4
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1499 posts
260 upvotes
Markham
i look at the article, here is what it saids

example of real package (NO PSP + jap word logo on top right)

this is an example of a fake package ( psp+ jap word logo on top right)

can u tell a difference??

example of the PSP ready jap logo

the article also mentions that the ppl making these fakes are starting to develop new packages, so the fake ones in the future will be IDENTICAL to the real ones

i guess u can only tell by looking at the card

(comparison of height)

(comparison of contact point)

real and fake, side by side, which one is real? which one is fake??

turns out

- fake is on the left side, real on the right
- fake is slightly higher than the real(not that u can compare, since u only got 1 card)
- fake's contact points are lighter in colour, real is darker
- fake's imprint is lighter, and not carved in, real is carved in and darker

these 2 are both fake

the writer of that article also mentioned that the shape is not exact, therefore he had problems pulling one of them out from the PSP
as you can see here he has to use tools to get it out

i hope this translation helps..

i didn't translated it word for word, because it would take a long time
Sep 12, 2005
28 posts
Downtown Toronto
Really Jap version 2G
Fake ones' packaging is actually base on the jap version, but still can tell there are differnces in backboard color and package seal.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1499 posts
260 upvotes
Markham
i don't know jointo.. u have a good picture there

as i said before, i don't know if the real package has the PSP ready logo on it
and plus the picture you have only has 6 binding spot on the plastic..(which these chinese article claim was fake

so.. it is really hard to determine from the package now

but i am sure u can still tell from the card... don't know how you are gonna do that on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] tho... as you notice.. all the seller only post a picture of the card now.. not the package..LOL i wonder why (to get rid of old stock?)

so.. it is left for RFDers to decide, if it is too good to be true.. then be ready for what you are in for when you bid on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]
Sep 12, 2005
28 posts
Downtown Toronto
well..... they don't make packings came out of nowhere, appearently it's the jap version packing they r copying. If u get a MSPD in Japan, there will be a "PSP Compatible" in Japanese on the top right. It's not 100% correct to tell if it's fake just by that logo. From the look of the package, seal is a better way to tell since real ones have rectangular seals while fake ones have dots, and real ones have 2 more seals on the top. Also the backboard color is realtively different. It's probably more accurate to tell if a MSPD is fake using both characteristics on the package and those on the MSPD like u mentioned in previous post.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1499 posts
260 upvotes
Markham
no .. that wasn't my post.. i was just translating for another person when he posted that chinese site
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1499 posts
260 upvotes
Markham
yup.. i already noticed many at local game stores..
pacific game store
ehe
Jan 1, 2004
142 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the translation, maybe the fake MSPD has red mark like Japanese version, but if the price you see is far lower than the one you saw it on the Sonystyle, I believe it should be fake MSPD.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
24751 posts
1213 upvotes
Richmond Hill
so what's the usage difference between real and fake? besides some fake get stuck in psp
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST
× < >