Fashion & Beauty

Men - how many dress shirts/pants do you have?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2013 7:29 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2627 posts
947 upvotes

Men - how many dress shirts/pants do you have?

My closet is quite cluttered and I've come to the conclusion that I have too many clothes. I'm a bit of a pack rat. I've decided to start cleaning house and getting rid of some stuff.

I'm wondering how many dress shirts and pairs of pants I should have in my wardrobe. What do you have, or what do you think is ideal?

For background: I wear dress shirts and pants to work at least 4 days a week. Fridays I will sometimes wear jeans, a polo, or a sweater. I'm just focusing on my workwear for now - i have jeans and Tshirts to deal with later. I do own a couple suits for special occasions (and too many ties), but I'm focusing on the shirts and pants for now.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
I think you should have enough to not make others notice that you are wearing the same clothes every other day lol.

Here's my closet summary for work clothes:
2-3 suits (all different color/style)
8-9 different dress shirts
6-7 different dress pants
2 pairs of work shoes

I think that would be a good number. :-0
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
I work in an office too so here are what I have:

Suit (jackets and pants): 10
Dress pants: 8-10
Shirts: 40-50 (at peak I had around 60)
Dress shoes: 4-5
Coats (fall and winter): 6-7

I probably have too much as well.
Jul 31, 2008
778 posts
2 upvotes
I work in a business casual office with casual fridays. I have 10 dress shirts, 4 pairs of dress pants, 2 suits (+1 that doesn't fit anymore :( ), 2 pairs of dress shoes, and 1 pair of dress boots.

I'm addicted to shoes, so I'm looking for another pair of dress shoes and another pair of dress boots. I wouldn't mind having another 5 or so dress shirts made either. :o
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
let's see

4 suits (2 navy)
6-7 pants
too many dress shirts to count
about 5 pair of shoes
about 4 coats for fall/winter

all i know is i need more :lol:
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
I have quite a few dress shirts, probably 11-13. However, I only have 2 pairs of dress pants. One of them doesn't even fit me...so technically only 1 pair.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1418 posts
1797 upvotes
My hubby works in an office, but has an option to dress cas-bus if he wants to. Anywho, the last time I de-cluttered my hubby's walk in, secondary closet and jacket/coat & shoe closet that's work related, it consisted of ( this was done 3 weeks ago):

Walk in closet (business/work):

- Golf/ Casual Polos (LS & SS): 62
- Golf sweaters/vests: 7
- Sweaters (crew, V-necks, 1/4 zip, full zips: 23
- Khakis: 9
- Casual pants/Dress pants: 30 ish?
- Casual buttoned shirts: 7

Secondary closet (business/work):

- Suits (2pc): 9
- Suits ( 3 pc: vest): 2
- Sports Jackets/Blazers: 5
- Dress Shirts: 21
- Cufflinks: 6 pairs.
- Socks: He can go for the next 45-50 days without repeating... lol ( yes it's ridunkulous)
- Ties: 34
- Bow: 1
- Ascots & handkerchiefs: 6
- Belts: 7
- Messenger bags/briefcases: 10

Coats/Jackets & Footwear closet:

- Typical Business single breasted wool Coats: 3 (black, navy, grey)
- Trench Coat: 1
- Toggle/Duffle/Pea-coat: 2
- Casual Spring/Fall jacket: too many.
- Casual winter jackets: 5?
- Dress shoes: 5
- Casual/business shoes (loafers/slip ons): 9, casual boots: 3

.. and I think that's it.. ( The non-fitted shirts/pants aren't included ofcrouse, so they were boxed away. This is not including his at home/gym-ish/ weekend wear lol)
"Women are like teabags; you don't know how strong they are until you put them in hot water." :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2627 posts
947 upvotes
Thanks folks, glad to see I'm not the only one with a few too many ;)
Nov 10, 2008
20 posts
Toronto
If you wear dress shirts and dress pants 4 times a week, you should have:

Minimum: about 8-10 dress shirts and about 4 dress pants

This is just the minimum amount of shirts to avoid lack of variety. You can go more wears without drycleaning pants, but never wear a dress shirt twice before laundering.

Ideal: about 15 dress shirts and about 6 dress pants

The minimum will give you variety, but you may tend to still get bored and want to mix it up more often. Still, dress pants get greater wear before cleaning. But you may want more variety too since the minimum may only allow for a couple greys, a navy, maybe brown or tan or another colour. But, preferably, you want a more flexible and versatile wardrobe.

Nothing wrong with expanding your wardrobe as much as your budget will allow. However, when you start getting past 3 weeks worth of wear then you should definitely only be buying new shirts because you love them. Not simply to continue to grow and already well stocked wardrobe.

Gotta add shoes... I've become a big fan of high quality leather soled shoes and want to continue to add to the rotation. But for the average guy, I'd say 3 pairs of dress shoes at a minimum for the 4 days (then something casual on the Friday), but don't necessarily think that you need to lean towards black over brown. Brown goes very well with grey and navy pants. Just have a belt to match.
Jul 14, 2010
179 posts
10 upvotes
I have:
2-piece suits: 4
Shirts: 5
Pants: 3
Laundry once a week.
Dec 25, 2009
408 posts
19 upvotes
Interesting topic. I am some times embarassed at how much clothing I have. My wife actually jokes to her friends about all the clothing I have accumulated over the years. I work in a bus-cas environment, so 4 dress days, and 1 casual.

Office attire:

55 dress shirts
26 dress pants
10 suits (stripe, black, dark blue, grey...etc)
14 dress shoes
5 dressy belts
4 blazers
25 ties
5 wool dress coats
2 sheepskin coats
2 rain jackets

Casual:

20 shirts
45 polo shirts
15 sweaters
18 sweatshirts
38 denim jeans
12 khakis
15 casual shoes (loafers...)
7 running shoes
8 parkas (North Face, Canada Goose..etc)

Probably missing a bunch of stuff, but don't want to run and count them.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
hrm,
4 suits
probably 20 (likely more) shirts
6 proper dress pants
7 pairs of dress shoes

When it comes to "too much", I usually rotate out the clothes that are patently too old or worn, or I simply don't like. Pretty easy because if I go a season without wearing an item, I know I won't wear it again.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
2 suits
2 dress pants
10 dress shirts or so...

But then again, I replace all my shirts pretty much on an annual basis...same too for the pants. Suits might go two years at most.
May 25, 2006
301 posts
24 upvotes
I work business casual with a casual friday so I have

4 suits although only 2 are really business suits
20 Dress shirts
4 pairs of real dress pants
about 10 pairs of dockers (although I wear those outside of work)
one pair of office shoes and one pair of nice dress shoes
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
RedFlagRobot wrote: My closet is quite cluttered and I've come to the conclusion that I have too many clothes. I'm a bit of a pack rat. I've decided to start cleaning house and getting rid of some stuff.

I'm wondering how many dress shirts and pairs of pants I should have in my wardrobe. What do you have, or what do you think is ideal?

For background: I wear dress shirts and pants to work at least 4 days a week. Fridays I will sometimes wear jeans, a polo, or a sweater. I'm just focusing on my workwear for now - i have jeans and Tshirts to deal with later. I do own a couple suits for special occasions (and too many ties), but I'm focusing on the shirts and pants for now.

2 full suits (carbon gray and black)
3-4 very very cheap shirts which i dont wear at all but have 3-4 yrs ago
3-5 "party" formal shirts, good for going out, clubbing, nothing snazzy like guess shirts but with stripes and so forth
3-4 formal business type shirts of good quality (plain white, black or indigo blue, a mild green)
3-4 formal pairs of pants of mediocre quality that i rarely wear anymore because im too fat now. god knows i could use 20 pounds less to save money.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
Great thread, didnt want to create a new one on the same thing.

9-10 dress shirts
4 dress pants
2 jeans
1 shorts
2 suits
6 ties
5 t-shirts
5 sweaters
3 hoodies
2 track zip ups
1 track pants
2 runners
1 work boots
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
wow lol I thought my brother was an addict, looks like he is pretty average
Oct 25, 2012
204 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
14 Dress shirts
3-4 dress pants
2 dress shoes (I will be purchasing one more this summer)
I can't remember how many sweaters but a few.
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2012
1037 posts
372 upvotes
VANCOUVER
When I used to have to wear them, 3 week rotation for dress shirts and 2 week rotation for pants.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
I have around 6 dress shirts and 2 dress pants. Will expand wardrobe when I get more money lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)