• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2016 9:18 pm
Tags:
Aug 30, 2016
47 posts
28 upvotes

Men of RFD, how do you tie your ties?

No really, how do you prefer?

I've always been pretty horrid with it back when I worked in accounting, but it's grown to be mandatory in the office so I use a double Windsor knot. It seems to stray a lot to the side though or the back part pops out and moves to the front.

Any tips or advice for this newbie? :(
Grinding away at Honda. Have a question or concern? Feel free to ask and I will help you out! :)
38 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Double windsor for events, single for normal workday.

Or, another way to put it, is if you are to wear your suit jacket most of the day, do double knot. If you are going to take off your jacket most of the time, single knot.
Without a jacket, a double knot looks too fat. With a jacket, a single knot looks too small.
kdoozy wrote: It seems to stray a lot to the side though or the back part pops out and moves to the front.
I don't really understand what you mean, are you talking about the tail of the tie not staying hidden behind the front of the tie? Get yourself some tie clips. I never wear a tie without one. Heck, I keep two in my car in case I lose one. I can't handle a flapping tie.
Aug 30, 2016
47 posts
28 upvotes
Sorry, that's what I meant! Oooh, that's pretty good. Did you get those clips as well?

I tried going to H&M and such, asking for tie clips but they didn't seem to carry them.

Kind of an aside alkizmo, but do you ever wear bow ties? What's your opinion on those?
alkizmo wrote: Double windsor for events, single for normal workday.
kdoozy wrote: It seems to stray a lot to the side though or the back part pops out and moves to the front.
I don't really understand what you mean, are you talking about the tail of the tie not staying hidden behind the front of the tie? Get yourself some tie clips. I never wear a tie without one. Heck, I keep two in my car in case I lose one. I can't handle a flapping tie.
Grinding away at Honda. Have a question or concern? Feel free to ask and I will help you out! :)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
With a pin or a clip.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
kdoozy wrote: Sorry, that's what I meant! Oooh, that's pretty good. Did you get those clips as well?
The first one I bought was at Sears, but their prices are stupid ($15-$50 per clip). Amazon.ca has good choices.

These look decent for the price and you would get them fast.

You absolutely need a brushed silver one, after that, you can add shiny silver for white shirt with black tie and a gold one for when you wear brown shoes and a brown belt.

You'll also want to have one short brushed silver clip for the narrow ties.

kdoozy wrote: Kind of an aside alkizmo, but do you ever wear bow ties? What's your opinion on those?
For accounting? Stay away, especially since I take it that you're young.

If you're young, you'll look like you're trying to be hip, which is stupid.

If you're old, you'll get away with it, but frankly I don't see the point. A tie hides the buttons of your shirt and a clipped tie looks amazing.

If you want to be fancy, go with French cuffs white collar.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
google "zip neck ties". I bought a bunch in Korea.

Very convenient and i never figured out how to really tie one.
Aug 30, 2016
47 posts
28 upvotes
Thank you so much for the help! Hope your thanksgiving weekend is going well so far.

And yeah I understand haha. Might look kind of stupid wearing the bow tie.

That looks amazing!!! I actually ran the mistake of going to Harry Rosen to look at bow ties. I got swept up into actually buying a few and found out they cost $100 each there. I returned them pretty quickly lol.

Do you wear any pocket squares?
alkizmo wrote:
kdoozy wrote: Sorry, that's what I meant! Oooh, that's pretty good. Did you get those clips as well?
The first one I bought was at Sears, but their prices are stupid ($15-$50 per clip). Amazon.ca has good choices.

These look decent for the price and you would get them fast.

You absolutely need a brushed silver one, after that, you can add shiny silver for white shirt with black tie and a gold one for when you wear brown shoes and a brown belt.

You'll also want to have one short brushed silver clip for the narrow ties.

kdoozy wrote: Kind of an aside alkizmo, but do you ever wear bow ties? What's your opinion on those?
For accounting? Stay away, especially since I take it that you're young.

If you're young, you'll look like you're trying to be hip, which is stupid.

If you're old, you'll get away with it, but frankly I don't see the point. A tie hides the buttons of your shirt and a clipped tie looks amazing.

If you want to be fancy, go with French cuffs white collar.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Millenials or anyone else can wear bow ties and look fabulous. You just have to exude a confident vibe.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: ...The first [tie clip] I bought was at Sears, but their prices are stupid ($15-$50 per clip). Amazon.ca has good choices...
IMO, I think OP should just ask his dad/uncle/brother to use their tie clips/pins until he saves up enough money to buy them in precious metal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5638 upvotes
I'd practice and skip the clip altogether. I find them a bit...old-fashioned.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
I look it up on Google each time and waste 10 minutes of my life trying to replicate it.

I hate wearing ties.
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
kdoozy wrote: Do you wear any pocket squares?
Not for the office, but I do for all after work events that are about networking. You don't want to start wearing a pocket square until you stop looking like a fresh graduate.

Becks wrote: Millenials or anyone else can wear bow ties and look fabulous. You just have to exude a confident vibe.
You can look fabulous with a bow tie, but there is a time and place for bow ties, and being a junior in an accounting department/firm is not that time.

Bow ties are either too classy, or too unconvenional. That is why you see celebrities/movie heros wear bow ties for very formal events, or wear it as a trademark. You'll never see a celebrity casual wear bow ties instead of ties unless it is part of their image.

OP isn't a celebrity. He doesn't have a trademark and image to maintain nor should he want to.

In the business field, you don't want your main defining characteristic to be "You know that kid with the bow tie?". That's why older more senior employees can get away with it, because they are well known for something else than their bow ties.

In other words, you can't casually wear a bow tie at work until everyone knows your name because you have a reputation for what you do and not what you wear. When you reach that point, you might choose to simply be the best dressed guy with the best ties, not the bow tie guy.
Toukolou wrote: I'd practice and skip the clip altogether. I find them a bit...old-fashioned.
Really? Tie clips are accessories to keep your tie in line with the buttons of your shirt. It is to maintain the imagine of a perfect. The clip itself needs to be very discrete while tasteful, like how you would pick a belt buckle.

What's next? Shirt stays (look it up) are old fashion because your grandpa would wear them? Ha! You kids in the back office make me laugh.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5638 upvotes
alkizmo wrote:
Toukolou wrote: I'd practice and skip the clip altogether. I find them a bit...old-fashioned.
Really? Tie clips are accessories to keep your tie in line with the buttons of your shirt. It is to maintain the imagine of a perfect. The clip itself needs to be very discrete while tasteful, like how you would pick a belt buckle.

What's next? Shirt stays (look it up) are old fashion because your grandpa would wear them? Ha! You kids in the back office make me laugh.
À chacun son goût

But I agree with your take on the bow tie.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
Whichever the small knot is called. I don't even think anymore when I tie a tie.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Full wIndsor for spread collar shirts and half windsor for normal collars and oxford button downs.
Justin Trudeau uses the schoolboy's square knot cause that is what he is used to as a kid ...LoL

Your text to link here...
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Toukolou wrote: À chacun son goût
How do you keep your tie always on center with your shirt buttons, and prevent it from flapping in the wind? or dipping into the sink as you wash your hands?

Maybe I simply never gained a habit of minding my tie constantly. I've been wearing tie bars from the get-go.

I'm curious though, is it because you actually hate the look or do you actually believe they are out of style?
They aren't common, I admit, but they are certainly in style. Just like French cuffs aren't common, wearing cuffs or tie bars will always add value to your look.
Unlike cuffs, though, the tie bar is also extremely convenient.
mebiuspower wrote: Whichever the small knot is called.
Half windsor
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Clip-on tie. Easy, fast!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Clip-on tie. Easy, fast!
And it's super quick to put it back on if it ever falls off in front of the whole conference room audience.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Never did brah.....it never did. Everyone wears issued clip-on ties here.
alkizmo wrote:
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Clip-on tie. Easy, fast!
And it's super quick to put it back on if it ever falls off in front of the whole conference room audience.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Everyone wears issued clip-on ties here
That's an entirely different situation than OP's.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)