Feb 1, 2004
1483 posts
277 upvotes
Bought a bunch of stuff, thanks OP.
Mar 17, 2015
184 posts
60 upvotes
Winnipeg
Didn't get in the know on this to score any B&M, but walked out with some decent buys.

Almost 1/2 price on some Micky Lee Soapworks and a Rockwell 2c.
Sep 14, 2007
739 posts
186 upvotes
I guess I'm the only guy that doesn't know about these fancy soaps and shave creams. I just buy cheap drug store Gilette razors and shaving cream. But I guess 40% off is a good deal for those that like this stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
9523 posts
3789 upvotes
Oil Country
stryder1587 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:25 pm
I guess I'm the only guy that doesn't know about these fancy soaps and shave creams. I just buy cheap drug store Gilette razors and shaving cream. But I guess 40% off is a good deal for those that like this stuff.
The shaving soaps are expensive, but give you a better lather IMO.
Jul 28, 2009
61 posts
11 upvotes
Thank you, bought a Boker Silver Steel Straight Razor-White, 6/8" straight razor for $204 taxes in, instead of $300 before tax.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
1509 posts
105 upvotes
North York
looking for jack black shower gel, but sold out...
Jan 27, 2007
432 posts
109 upvotes
Richmond Hill
stryder1587 wrote:
The shaving soaps last a LOOOONG time. Razors are cheaper on the long run by a huge margin. Evern if you buy the cheap stuff from the drug store, brush/soap/safety razor combo will easily be cheaper, with the added benefit of a much better shave.
Sep 14, 2007
739 posts
186 upvotes
Do you need to constantly sharpen this razor? What's the brush for? Is the razor hard to use?
Jul 27, 2009
126 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
I've used a bunch of the fancy shaving creams, but the proraso ones (around 10 bucks) are my personal favourite. That's the one good one Shoppers also carries.
Jul 27, 2009
126 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
stryder1587 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:48 am
Do you need to constantly sharpen this razor? What's the brush for? Is the razor hard to use?
Depends on which razor you are refering to. Double edge blades are cheap so you'd never sharpen them.....around 20 bucks for 100 Astra blades on Amazon for example. Brush is for lathering shaving cream, and double edge razors take little time to learn....important is not applying any pressure to skin (let the weight of the razor do this), and the angle (around 30 degrees).....for me its been life changing, used to get ingrown hairs and break out all the time with the stupid gilette gimmick quadruple blades (which serve no purpose other than to wreck the top layer of your skin)
Aug 29, 2017
32 posts
15 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote:
I've been using a safety razor for a few years now, it's not hard to use but highly recommend learning how to use it. Straight edge razor I've never tried as I've heard a few stories of people ending up in the ER.
Jun 12, 2017
261 posts
217 upvotes
Montreal (QC)
stryder1587 wrote:
I buy the generic brand (usually with two blades...24 razors for about $3 they last me about two weeks each) and I use soap when it's handy. God my skin must hate me.
Jan 27, 2007
432 posts
109 upvotes
Richmond Hill
stryder1587 wrote:
Safety Razors are 100 for $16 on amazon. Each will easily last you more than a week, depending on how often you shave and how tolerant you are to pain. lol. No need to sharpen, just throw out the old one and pop in a new one.
A cheap double edge safety razor will run you <$20. I'd recommend Merkur, there are some cheap chinese options but tbh a good razor will result in less nicks and its a one time purchase.
A good badger hair brush and shaving soap will be <20 each. The brush + soap creates an amazing foam that you'll never get from shaving gel. You'll need the brush to work up the soap. The soap is almost like hard soap, will last you more than a year.

The razor is easy to use. It looks intimidating but I learned from youtube videos, you get the hang of it after a day or two. After a week or so you wont even have to think about it, and itll be one of decisions you make for a small daily routine.