Hot Deals

[MenEssentials] Merkur 23C 3-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor $21.75

Sep 6, 2012
387 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
What else is worth buying to get free shipping?
:)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3872 posts
284 upvotes
Scarborough
Being a three piece, what other handles are compatible with this?
I already have the 34C and like the shorter length (and the heavier feel) but it's only a two piece, I'd like to see if a shorter three piece would be a bit more compact for my travels
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Feb 2, 2010
181 posts
39 upvotes
Cambridge
Bought two and some blades. Thanks and Thanked!
May 29, 2006
578 posts
112 upvotes
Also got 2 and some blades....One for me one as a gift! Never used one of these before (my dad did when I was a kid) but Im sick of buying expensive razors so here I go

Feb 18, 2016
1265 posts
343 upvotes
jasonb22 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:48 am
I just used regular shaving cream, seemed to work good. I would also like to know if others have had better results with the brush.
I'm not sure if the type of brush makes any difference, but using a brush is a quick way to get lather on your face rather than messing around with the stuff with your hands. This saves time especially if you do a 2nd or 3rd pass.
Feb 26, 2008
163 posts
113 upvotes
Surrey
jasonb22 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:48 am
I just used regular shaving cream, seemed to work good. I would also like to know if others have had better results with the brush.
Better lather. Regular shaving cream dries out your face (the ones that you dispense out of a can). You'll need to try different products to see which one suits your needs best. I generally like The Art of Shaving products. A bit expensive but a little goes along way so to me, the price is justified. Lathering the soaps and creams are a lot easier with a quality brush and I find the application is a lot better.

If you're looking local (BC), check out Soapy Bathman. Lots of good reviews, I've been meaning to try out some of his stuff for awhile now. May pick some up this month to try out.

https://www.soapybathman.com/
Feb 26, 2008
163 posts
113 upvotes
Surrey
For transport of the safety razors, not sure why you would want to pack it on a carry on. If you plan on shaving while on the plane, that would be a very poor choice. You need a stable spot, time to prep, and time to properly shave. It's not like a gillette mach3/fusion where you can pick it up and do a super quick shave with.

There is a bit of a learning curve to using this and for beginners, I'd look at a razor that does not have an aggressive opening to it. Something like a Weishii safety razor will work as an introduction. That way, you won't tear up your face while learning the proper techniques. It allows for some mistakes to happen.
Aug 6, 2012
158 posts
26 upvotes
TORONTO
notfromqc wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:00 am
I'm not sure if the type of brush makes any difference, but using a brush is a quick way to get lather on your face rather than messing around with the stuff with your hands. This saves time especially if you do a 2nd or 3rd pass.
The type of brush mainly changes the frustration around losing the badger hair

When using a brush a puck of shaving cream also lasts a long long time with little to no waste unlike the shaving cream cans and it's possible to get the brush and cream warm with hot water before applying which is kind of nice.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1086 posts
533 upvotes
Beaverton
Took the plunge for 2+blades&fs=$63.xx
Thx OP.
Fwiw.....over $100 gets free Fed-ex shipping rather than standard Canada Post if that matters to anyone.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3746 posts
338 upvotes
And one using this have an actual thick beard and not just a light three day stubble? I find a huge difference having light hair vs course and thick for shaving.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1265 posts
343 upvotes
jeremy4 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:58 pm
The type of brush mainly changes the frustration around losing the badger hair

When using a brush a puck of shaving cream also lasts a long long time with little to no waste unlike the shaving cream cans and it's possible to get the brush and cream warm with hot water before applying which is kind of nice.
Ah ok. I doubt my brush is made from badger hair, but in any case your second point is interesting. I haven't used the puck type in a while (I tried the Williams way back but wasn't keen on it), and I've been using the cream type that squeezes out of a tube. Usually not much more than about a pea size is needed.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1178 posts
474 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RubberCheese wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:08 pm
FYI - Amazon now has save $25 on $50 luxury beauty products, including these razors and blades, so it may still be cheaper on Amazon depending on exactly what you are buying.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=lp_17388317 ... 7590290011
Definately a great deal, but it is not really a save $25 right now... It is a credit for future us on other luxury beauty purchases..
... $25 credit automatically applied towards future Luxury Beauty purchase after qualifying order ships....
I switched to safety razors a few years ago, and there is no way I can go back to cartridge razors.. But always looking to try a new one :)
Jan 14, 2017
3 posts
Thanks OP. Just had my Edwin Jagger DE89 break at threaded post. I already own the 23c and prefer it, much better build quality.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)