MEng worth it if I can't find a job?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 9:02 am
May 12, 2011
162 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary

MEng worth it if I can't find a job?

I was wondering if taking an MEng (course based + project/mini-thesis related to original engineering analysis and/or design must be presented) is worth it if I can't find a job? Surely that would be better than having a large gap on a resume right?

I actually do have an interest in graduate studies to learn more and attain design jobs in industry but I can't find a supervisor in my fields of interest (controls, robotics, mechatronics) with a GPA of 3.1 since they want a student who has free funding from external sources which would require a 3.4+

I would obviously have to pay for my MEng. I need to take 8-10 courses and do what was described as essentially a one man capstone project and document it.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
exp>creditial
Jul 15, 2009
161 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
exp>credential>sitting@home, therefore, when exp=n/a, then credential>sitting@home. :)

Seriously now. People do M.Eng for various reasons, and by all means, it's your choice and it can be a good gap-filler. But more important than finding a filler is to really ask yourself why are you not getting any offers. Are the potential jobs most require a higher level of education? are you trying to switch discipline that has a better prospect than your bachelor's? Are there specific subject area that you wanted to study and compliment your qualifications? These are some of the reason people do M.Eng that'll be useful to them.

There also are people who just couldn't find anything because of no idea of anything, and just wanted to use it as a filler and then hoping to up their credential expecting that will land them a career. Unfortunately, this usually doesn't work as well as one expected.

So to answer your question, yes it's worth it if you know what you're doing and you know what you're getting out of the program. And no, it's probably not worth it if you haven't thoroughly analysed your own situation to summarise the reasons that you're not yet getting offers.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
^more education is just more debt, then he will be over qualified for the entry level jobs
Dec 16, 2014
932 posts
519 upvotes
Easter Island
how long have you been unemployed?
Dec 5, 2008
107 posts
11 upvotes
When I was in M.Sc. program; a few of my colleagues were Govt. employee (M.O.D) They just wanted certificate to go up in the career. I believe M.O.D gives you credit for higher education.
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
117 upvotes
Alberta
I would seriously suggest against wasting two year of your life and money on these useless degrees. If you can not find a job with your bachelor degree then there is no guarantee that you will find one with your masters. Rather than taking easy route out by delaying your job hunting in getting useless degree, you should spend your time and energy to get your foot in a door even if it means getting paid pittance in the beginning. This is my personal experience doing masters in science.
Jan 23, 2017
4 posts
Hyperfluxe wrote: I was wondering if taking an MEng (course based + project/mini-thesis related to original engineering analysis and/or design must be presented) is worth it if I can't find a job? Surely that would be better than having a large gap on a resume right?

I actually do have an interest in graduate studies to learn more and attain design jobs in industry but I can't find a supervisor in my fields of interest (controls, robotics, mechatronics) with a GPA of 3.1 since they want a student who has free funding from external sources which would require a 3.4+

I would obviously have to pay for my MEng. I need to take 8-10 courses and do what was described as essentially a one man capstone project and document it.
Take the M.Eng if you cannot find work but look for jobs aggressively while you are attending school. Apply to co-op positions, take AS MANY courses in project management since it is one area where there seems to be some demand for engineers. Take any course which you think increases your chances of getting a job and which you can put on your resume. Take courses in Six Sigma as well if you can.

You must also increase your GPA while in school, in the case of not securing work after graduation, and assuming you do well, you may be able to pursue a Ph.D. So take your courses strategically.

You should also openly ask potential employers for any unpaid engineering internship. This is simply a ploy as most employers would not hire unpaid interns but they might take you in and pay you some money. If you can somehow find work in the US or even in the Middle East, go for it, as there are much more opportunities there.

Engineering as a career is bust in Canada as there are an over-abundance of new-graduate EITs with very few entry level or even engineering positions.

On a side note, if you are an immigrant, you are much less likely to be hired so you should reassess and strategize yourself. Good luck and I hope you will find work pertaining to your field.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Engineering is a practitioner's field. Don't get M.Eng unless you want to work in academia or you are already very experienced in industry and you want an extremely top flight technical position.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
qwerty662 wrote: Take the M.Eng if you cannot find work but look for jobs aggressively while you are attending school. Apply to co-op positions, take AS MANY courses in project management since it is one area where there seems to be some demand for engineers. Take any course which you think increases your chances of getting a job and which you can put on your resume. Take courses in Six Sigma as well if you can.

You must also increase your GPA while in school, in the case of not securing work after graduation, and assuming you do well, you may be able to pursue a Ph.D. So take your courses strategically.

You should also openly ask potential employers for any unpaid engineering internship. This is simply a ploy as most employers would not hire unpaid interns but they might take you in and pay you some money. If you can somehow find work in the US or even in the Middle East, go for it, as there are much more opportunities there.

Engineering as a career is bust in Canada as there are an over-abundance of new-graduate EITs with very few entry level or even engineering positions.

On a side note, if you are an immigrant, you are much less likely to be hired so you should reassess and strategize yourself. Good luck and I hope you will find work pertaining to your field.
such thing does not exist, no one will take you seriously
Jan 23, 2017
4 posts
divx wrote: such thing does not exist, no one will take you seriously
From my personal experience, this does happen depending on how you frame your letter of introduction.
May 12, 2011
162 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
Something I forgot to add guys: I have 16 months of internship experience as a mechanical engineering intern with Stantec (HVAC). I'm graduating in a couple months and I have no employment lined up. If there's something that I learned from internship it's that I need a higher level design position to feel fulfilled with my career life. Now, I'm not sure if that would involve getting a master's or simply getting more experience (knowing that interns don't get the most interesting work).
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I think that's just a question of experience. Like all fields, the more junior you are, the more menial tasks you tend to get. Hey, someone's gotta do it right? As you get experience, credibility and knowledge, you'll be able to take on more sizeable projects with more impactful work.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hyperfluxe wrote: Something I forgot to add guys: I have 16 months of internship experience as a mechanical engineering intern with Stantec (HVAC). I'm graduating in a couple months and I have no employment lined up. If there's something that I learned from internship it's that I need a higher level design position to feel fulfilled with my career life. Now, I'm not sure if that would involve getting a master's or simply getting more experience (knowing that interns don't get the most interesting work).
send me your resume, i have contacts at stantec, should've mentioned earlier that you are in the same industry as me
Apr 13, 2010
132 posts
35 upvotes
What do you know about management consulting? If you haven't researched it, I think maybe you take a look at entering in to it through MEng. At the very least, throw it in as an option as a career. And believe it or not, finance jobs has also accepted direct entry applicants with engineering degrees (an acquaintance of mine has a PhD degree at Waterloo for electrical engineering - went to work for an associate for Goldman).

Some perceive it as a traditional business career meant for MBAs but I find that even more engineers have been entering in to and they rival just as much as business degrees for direct entry.
http://www.engineeringbecause.com/news/ ... bs-at-bain
https://managementconsulted.com/summer- ... ackground/

I've lurked on some posts here and there and people seem to give engineering degrees a sense of cynical view, but I really find engineering degrees as extremely valuable in that they're marketed to both STEM fields and have potential to enter in to business fields as well (potential as a direct applicant meaning working in to the field without additional credentials beyond engineering).

You may need to do some supplementary self-study to learn the language and cultural habits of integrating in to a business field. But from a credential point of view, you'd be roughly on par with a business degree to go in to consulting. Especially if you specialize in business process engineering for robotics and A.I, work that's super super hot these days.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
No jobs for local born engs. All eng companies hire a consultant company then they fill it with all foreign grunts engs and they all are tfw. Get out of this field while you still can.
Apr 13, 2005
560 posts
256 upvotes
ATrac wrote: What do you know about management consulting? If you haven't researched it, I think maybe you take a look at entering in to it through MEng. At the very least, throw it in as an option as a career. And believe it or not, finance jobs has also accepted direct entry applicants with engineering degrees (an acquaintance of mine has a PhD degree at Waterloo for electrical engineering - went to work for an associate for Goldman).

Some perceive it as a traditional business career meant for MBAs but I find that even more engineers have been entering in to and they rival just as much as business degrees for direct entry.
http://www.engineeringbecause.com/news/ ... bs-at-bain
https://managementconsulted.com/summer- ... ackground/

I've lurked on some posts here and there and people seem to give engineering degrees a sense of cynical view, but I really find engineering degrees as extremely valuable in that they're marketed to both STEM fields and have potential to enter in to business fields as well (potential as a direct applicant meaning working in to the field without additional credentials beyond engineering).

You may need to do some supplementary self-study to learn the language and cultural habits of integrating in to a business field. But from a credential point of view, you'd be roughly on par with a business degree to go in to consulting. Especially if you specialize in business process engineering for robotics and A.I, work that's super super hot these days.
I think he can pretty much forget consulting with a 3.1 gpa
Apr 13, 2010
132 posts
35 upvotes
aaa111 wrote: I think he can pretty much forget consulting with a 3.1 gpa
Not if he's willing to boost his marks up in his M.Eng.