• Oct 19th, 2017 8:59 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2017
33 posts
32 upvotes
GTA East - Durham

Men's Pocket Winter Hat?

Any suggestions for a beanie type hat?
Something to wear while waiting for the train and then stuff in a pocket?

Wool, fleece, acrylic?
Must be roomy enough for a melon-sized head..... ha ha.

I don't mind buying online if I am confident that it won't be sized for smaller to normal heads and end up like pulling a sock over my generously proportioned noggin.
9 replies
Nov 7, 2013
367 posts
82 upvotes
the 604
Dollar Store or Dollarama. or one of those $ places.

found a thick and a thin one a few years ago. needed out of quick desperation. figured they'd be junky, but i LOVED them. fit great, comfortable and CHEAP and WARM. 98% acrylic, 2% nylon. lasted two winters, until i lost them, when i started whining about the expensive crap sold at The Bay (come on $40 for touque/beanie?). i looked in stores everywhere for the dollarstore ones, but they were gone. didn't see them next season.

last year, my gf asked me what i wanted for xmas. said what i REALLY WANT is a set of those dollar store touques.

SHE FOUND THE EXACT ONES I HAD.

best gf, best toques.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10912 posts
1485 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Don't buy a beanie. Get a slouchy hat.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2017
33 posts
32 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
I bought the Costco ones a couple of years back. Exactly what I want but sadly just a tad too small. "One size fits most" - I am not in the most camp.

The electronic ones look too bulky and I am trying to stay away from pom-poms.

I am a love-handled geezer with a big round head. I know sloucheys are in but they would just look ridiculous on me and more material is more to stuff into a pocket.

The dollar store idea is to be checked out.
Might just offered some cheap alternatives that may fit the bill.

If my head didn't have it's own postal code those real wool, fleece lined Costco jobbies were perfect.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3595 posts
799 upvotes
Debtario
Those costco beanies are compact and reasonably warm, they should be able to fit your head. Try them out, I thought I have a large head but they fit fine.

Otherwise my go-to hats are the made in Canada FRR fur hats, look like something out of the soviet union but wow are they comfy and super warm. Priced ~$100 for the shearling and up to $250 for beaver fur, official winter hat of the OPP and RCMP! Not very pocketable, but if you keep it on you'll look like a boss while also giving PETAphiles heart attacks.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1178 posts
508 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
dookiemoore wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 2:30 pm
Any suggestions for a beanie type hat?
Something to wear while waiting for the train and then stuff in a pocket?

Wool, fleece, acrylic?
Must be roomy enough for a melon-sized head..... ha ha.

I don't mind buying online if I am confident that it won't be sized for smaller to normal heads and end up like pulling a sock over my generously proportioned noggin.
You can also look towards BUFF products. They do have winter stuff that is very versatile. It can be used as a neck warmer or with a twist turn into a hat. http://www.buffwear.com/new-ss17-adult-headwear

:D :D :D because everyones going to love today :D
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2017
33 posts
32 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:18 pm
Those costco beanies are compact and reasonably warm, they should be able to fit your head. Try them out, I thought I have a large head but they fit fine.

Otherwise my go-to hats are the made in Canada FRR fur hats, look like something out of the soviet union but wow are they comfy and super warm. Priced ~$100 for the shearling and up to $250 for beaver fur, official winter hat of the OPP and RCMP! Not very pocketable, but if you keep it on you'll look like a boss while also giving PETAphiles heart attacks.
As mentioned I did buy a couple of the Costco ones last year but they are just a touch too tight. If they were a little larger they would be perfect.

Interesting you mention FRR - I also bought one of their trapper hats. Didn't go all in for the RCMP model but a nice shearling one, warm as toast when going out on a "wild adventure" like snow-blowing my driveway but as you said a little bulky.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2017
33 posts
32 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:49 am
You can also look towards BUFF products. They do have winter stuff that is very versatile. It can be used as a neck warmer or with a twist turn into a hat. http://www.buffwear.com/new-ss17-adult-headwear

:D :D :D because everyones going to love today :D
Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Ordered a Polartec and Merino wool one. Both are compact for the pocket but are large enough to not feel so tight and uncomfortable for Mr. Melonhead.

Not cheap, however reasonable though since it comes with free shipping and got here in about a week and fortunately no taxes.

Thanks again tdh2k!!