Men's Running Shoes for Cardio

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2017 2:02 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3326 posts
1251 upvotes
Edmonton
By "cardio", to you mean running on a treadmill? If so, any road running shoe should work. As others have said, go into the Running Room or someplace similar (I'm not a fan of them, but whatever). Some better places will even have a treadmill set up for you to run on, so someone can watch you run and see how your foot placement is. In the Running Rooms I've seen, they only watch you walk, which isn't the same (IMHO).

What kind of ankle support do you need for cardio? It's not like you should be turning an ankle on the treadmill. Get fitted for an ankle brace if that's a concern, because no running shoe is going to protect your ankle like that. You need a boot or brace. If it doesn't wrap around your ankle, how is it going to "support" it? Your best protection is work on the problem, which is strengthening your ankle.

If you're not talking about treadmill running...
I wouldn't use running shoes for workout shoes, given a choice. Most running shoes are designed specifically for running on flat roads. Their purpose is cushioning and protecting your foot from approximately a thousand body weight impacts per km.

Training shoes should be designed for side-to-side movement (something that rarely happens on a road run, unless something goes horribly wrong), aggressive stops and starts (again, something that is a sign of something gone wrong).

C
Feb 25, 2015
160 posts
40 upvotes
dainfamous41 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 10:50 pm
Any recommendations for flat feet between the following?

1. Saucony Guide 9
2. Brooks Ravenna 7 or 8
3. Asics GT 2000-4
4. Saucony Redeemer
5. Brooks Beast 2014
I have flat feet and my podiatrist recommended Nike Free Run's. I have custom orthotics that I use with my Free Run's and the combination is amazing.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul" ;) :cool:
Jan 5, 2007
50 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
Hello,
I'm on a treadmill daily. I also have flat feet .
My trainer reccomended the Asics Gel brand.
I wear the Cumulus 17. The gel support is way more comfortable than my old Nike.
The Nimbus and the Cumulus have the gel built into the whole sole of he shoe.
Asics now have newer models out called the Gel 180 and Gel 360.
Best thing to do is to try them on and walk around the store.
I don't buy anything else but Asics now.

Jay
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16732 posts
1725 upvotes
GTA West
jaym wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:14 am
I'm on a treadmill daily. I also have flat feet .
My trainer reccomended the Asics Gel brand.
I wear the Cumulus 17. The gel support is way more comfortable than my old Nike.
The Nimbus and the Cumulus have the gel built into the whole sole of he shoe.
Asics now have newer models out called the Gel 180 and Gel 360.
Best thing to do is to try them on and walk around the store.
I don't buy anything else but Asics now.

Jay
ASICS are very nice but I find their toe box is too small.
Every ASICS I have tried, the end of my big toe is rubbing against the top of the shoe. It's really annoying.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -