Entertainment

[Merged] AMC Series: The Walking Dead

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 9:56 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1472 posts
446 upvotes
I was staring at them like... 1 guy with a spiked baseball bat vs a dozen men with machine guns pointed at him, and mr coolie wins. Ya........ ok. Maybe they all heard that Rick has to be the one to kill Negan, but still...
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6127 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 3:40 pm
I discussed this with my wife and we came to the agreement that they shot out all the windows to keep everyone inside. It was more of a tactic by showering glass onto everyone inside and keeping them away from the windows and doorway so they didn't really know Rick's numbers. Also firing loads of ammo into the building (glass) makes it appear there's larger numbers on Rick's side. They would be cowering inside unknown to them that a hoard was on the way. Rick's group was leaving the walkers to do the killing without risking any of their lives. With Negan's people inside they would have nowhere to escape when the hoard arrived. If Rick's people tried to storm the doorway they be picked off one by one as they entered through the doorway or killed in unfamiliar corridors. And if they didn't shoot a lot of ammo, Negan's people may have stormed out the door. Noticed how easily and quickly Rick's people took off when the shooting stopped and none of Negan's people came out the door?
yes, this was my tactical analysis as well.

however, it still begs the quesiton:

They offer peace.
No one accepts.
(but obviously no one would for risk of being shot in the back of the head)
No one comes out killing Negan... cause they think Negan is superior.

Ok.....

So RICK, goes gun blazing.

That's what I still don't get.... you have at least TWO competent snipers - u took out 2 guards at the same time. yet no one attempts to snipe off Negan?

I dont get that.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3617 posts
1402 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, here's my analysis: the 5 lieutenants were standing on the platform, but I'm assuming that a large number of Saviors were waiting just inside the door ready to come out guns blazing.

If Rick or anyone else had shot Negan, the rest of the Saviors would have engaged in a big firefight and Rick's group would have been pinned down with a huge horde of Walkers bearing down on them.

Instead, Rick's tactic was to distract the Saviors which chatter while the horde approached, then shoot out the windows to pin all the Saviors inside and give his group a chance to flee at the last second before the horde arrived. But then Rick's heart got the better of him, and he tried to kill Negan on his own, but was stopped by Gabriel because the horde was already there.

So Negan lives and so do some of his lieutenants, but a large number of his fighters are killed by the horde. Now the numbers are balanced out and more equal, and we can see an actually believable battle between the remaining Saviors and the Hilltop, Kingdom and Alexandria people.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1271 posts
191 upvotes
I really disliked the time jump back and forth. I know they're trying to go for style, but it ended up looking so choppy and anoying to watch.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17680 posts
1307 upvotes
If I was Gabriel and I heard Negan's voice in the dark trailer, I would have at least pointed that assault rifle in the general direction and be prepared to pop him.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5044 posts
941 upvotes
Whitby
Haz wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 1:54 am
If I was Gabriel and I heard Negan's voice in the dark trailer, I would have at least pointed that assault rifle in the general direction and be prepared to pop him.
Second that, its like the writers put no effort into the episode. Its true having a sniper take out Negan wouldn't be a good episode either but having him out in the open was crap. Gabriel not being terrified so blasting away was bs also, I expected him to shoot someone in his own group when he was going in.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1326 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 1:54 am
First of all why would you risk your life for that coward? Now dude is stuck inside a trailer with Negan out of all people. So if Negan decides to beat his head in, no sympathy from me. Gabriel has been useless since the day they met him many seasons ago. How is that guy still alive anyway
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3617 posts
1402 upvotes
Toronto
I see Gabriel's character very differently. Sure, he was easy to hate in the beginning, but in the last half of last season the writers showed him making a change. He has almost become the voice of reason. He tried to talk Rosita out of the suicide mission that her and Sacha took, and in the premiere, he was a sounding board for Rick before they attacked the Saviors, and then he saved him when he lost his head and went rogue trying to kill Negan on his own while the horde approached. Then he voluntarily put his life at risk to save a coward who has just sold out his entire community to the Saviors a few minutes earlier.

I think the story line is showing that Gabriel has changed. He's no longer the coward that locked his parishioners out of the church and let them get killed by Walkers. Now he's become a part of the group, is demonstrating great courage, and has turned into someone that people go to for advice and guidance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8723 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:52 am
He has almost become the voice of reason.
I believe the "moral compass" characters die shortly thereafter
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2029 posts
255 upvotes
Fabfive wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 8:32 am
First of all why would you risk your life for that coward? Now dude is stuck inside a trailer with Negan out of all people. So if Negan decides to beat his head in, no sympathy from me. Gabriel has been useless since the day they met him many seasons ago. How is that guy still alive anyway
Gabriel should've ran at the same time Gregory ran too.. or jumped on the hood!
Dec 22, 2014
495 posts
108 upvotes
Regina, SK
Reading over the post regarding shooting the windows. I believe this was being depicted as a blind firefight. Rick's group was firing to the window at people they couldn't see. Visually it looked like there were gunfire flashes coming from inside the building and Rick's group looked like they were being conscious of gunfire. I don't think it was depicted well, but I believe that was the intent.

I guess Negan on a loudspeaker doesn't provide the whole Negan charm and swagger experience, but they needed a little better scenario to rationalize not going for the kill immediately. Some people might suggest that killing Negan might martyr him and a new leader will step up. However, we have been given glimpses of Sanctuary life - lots of people don't like Negan and lots of people don't completely like the situation they are in. Some of Negan's wives wanted to poison him. Negan's death wouldn't be a rallying cry and new leader probably wouldn't step in without a little bloodshed, especially if they managed to take out the lieutenants too.

I imagine some of this is derived from wanting to achieve certain plot points. They wanted Negan to randomly get trapped with Gabriel. If Negan had any amount of safety during his talk with Rick it would probably be even harder to make that final scenario happen.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19270 posts
1431 upvotes
Finally watched season 8 ep.01 season premiere...

Definitely some lazy writing on the writers' part.....the inability to snipe Negan while he was out in the open was terribad...esp. when the previous sniper(s) was killing those guards with such accuracy! Lol

I get Rick's group shooting the windows and creating all that noise to attract the horde. Though I have to say, that's a lot of wasted bullets!! Who knew that the group had unlimited supply of ammo!

One of the weaker season premieres for sure, there was a lot of potential for this one...whelp, hopefully the season gets better! Only way to go is up from here!

I'll still watch for sure.....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5292 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Morales? What the heck?

For a country this big, I mean, what are the chances of 1) You're still alive 2) Anyone you knew is still alive 3) That you'd run into them again
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8723 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 7:08 am
Morales? What the heck?
I guessed he was part of family that parted ways with the main group back in season 1 but I still googled to be sure

My eyes aren't always on the screen so if the show reminded viewers via flashback I missed it but google did reveal that actor has been campaigning to be back on the show

The Fear crossover probably will be a similarly obscure or forgotten character

With regards to the bulk of the episode I don't find different groups exchanging gunfire all that compelling

Guy named Jesus is TOO forgiving
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5292 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
jenviea wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 7:19 am
I guessed he was part of family that parted ways with the main group back in season 1 but I still googled to be sure
He was the father of the family of four in S1 that left the camp before the rest of the group headed towards the CDC in Atlanta. Rick also saved him from the department store in Atlanta when Rick first met the entire group.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!