Entertainment

[Merged] AMC Series: The Walking Dead

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 6:17 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19326 posts
1455 upvotes
People people people....enough with the nitpicking!!

Everyone knows Ezkiel and the kingdom folks were circlejerking to celebrate their circle ambush without anyone dying (and yet I smile!)...

The mowing down by heavy machinegun was funny tho...you gotta admit....
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2659 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
VicRav wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 4:28 pm
I am pretty sure the TWD writer's room starts with some ideas that might look cool and than ignores making it all fit together logically.

I also wasn't too keen on Shiva being taken out by 10 or less walkers. Decaying walkers fall apart pretty easy, so a few powerful tiger paw swipes should have made short work of them. 30-40 would have been more believable at mobbing and wearing the tiger down, but the tiger should have still been fighting and doing some damage. I will admit that this was probably less a writing issue and more of a budget issue.
CGI budget restrictions.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5383 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
ji2o0k wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:10 pm
People people people....enough with the nitpicking!!

Everyone knows Ezkiel and the kingdom folks were circlejerking to celebrate their circle ambush without anyone dying (and yet I smile!)...

The mowing down by heavy machinegun was funny tho...you gotta admit....
Man... it would have been so much better if they didn't do that entire, "My King, everyone is accounted for", scene. They should have surrounded the Saviours forcing them to surrender, and at this point they should have been mowed down. Why? Because it would have shown the lengths the Saviours would go to in order to win, even if it includes killing their own people. That would have been a sick way to take out the Kingdom, much better than killing them like they way they did. Too bad I'm not a writer.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1674 posts
495 upvotes
The kingdom is done, in terms of fighting. They have nobody left. This pretty much ends the rebellion unless Rick can pull out a rabbit, maybe if he had some crazy plan with the .50s he just captured.
Dec 22, 2014
509 posts
112 upvotes
Regina, SK
chimaican wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:32 pm
Man... it would have been so much better if they didn't do that entire, "My King, everyone is accounted for", scene. They should have surrounded the Saviours forcing them to surrender, and at this point they should have been mowed down. Why? Because it would have shown the lengths the Saviours would go to in order to win, even if it includes killing their own people. That would have been a sick way to take out the Kingdom, much better than killing them like they way they did. Too bad I'm not a writer.
It would be more dramatic that way. The way things played out if you think about it still suggests the Saviours still go to pretty extreme lengths. They basically sent troops out as fodder and waited until they were slaughtered and the Kingdom celebrated prematurely and than the Saviours opened fire. That is just bonkers in so many ways. Proper strategy and common sense would have been keeping all those troops in the fenced compound.

Any critiques regarding this show needs to be followed with "and yet I smile."
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4222 posts
714 upvotes
I read the wiki episode summaries and that further convinces me the directing is terrible.
-Nowhere in the actual episodes did they explain explicitly that it was Dwight who slipped information about the heavy weapons. Some scenes hinted it but is it really skilled storytelling if you don't make it obvious to the viewers? I had no clue that it was Dwight who initially told Rick where the heavy weapons are. I had no idea it was Rick's primary plan to secure the heavy weapons so sanctuary can't fend off the walkers

-It's not explained why they decided to hit 4 compounds except in wiki summaries. Apparently they didn't want other groups to reinforce sanctuary. Your guess was as good as mine. I originally thought they didn't know where Negan was hiding and wanted to hit 4 bases.

-I had no idea why they wasted so much ammo to shoot empty windows at Sanctuary. Only after reading the wiki did I understand it was to draw walkers inside. They bothered to explain that Aaron's group was stalling time so the first victims reanimate. So why can't you explain why you must blow your supposedly limited ammo to shoot windows.

Seriously...everything would have been better if instead of wasting time jumping back and forth in time in episode 1 with "old rick", if Rick got together with each group's leader and discussed who is doing what. It's just lazy story telling when you want the audience to figure it out themselves. Explaining a basic plan doesn't spoil any suspense. It makes the story coherent and we can still have surprises as things don't go according to plan.

I think the fundamental issue behind the scenes is having far too many directors. Reading wiki made me see how each episode is directed by a different person. Seriously wtf?!? More heads is not better. There must be too many voices to appease and the end result is a piece of crap with no focus or consistency.

Still better than season 7 though...end of rant
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
badOne wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 5:18 am
The kingdom is done, in terms of fighting. They have nobody left. This pretty much ends the rebellion unless Rick can pull out a rabbit, maybe if he had some crazy plan with the .50s he just captured.
People dont kill people. Guns kill people. Rick has a truck load of big guns right now ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3636 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:02 pm
Nowhere in the actual episodes did they explain explicitly that it was Dwight who slipped information about the heavy weapons.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe they did address this. In the first episode they showed Darryl ride up to the Sanctuary and shoot out the tire on Dwight's bike with an arrow that had a paper with a list of questions wrapped around the shaft. Then Dwight shoots that arrow and the paper back towards Darryl, presumably with all the info about the heavy guns and their location included.

In a later scene when they're sniping the lookouts, they showed Rick holding the same piece of paper and then later still they showed that kind of paper again with a map drawn on it and the words "BROWNING GUNS" (or something like that) written across the top (while Rick and Darryl were in the building where Rick found the baby and Morales).

Personally, I prefer when TV shows and movies make you think and allow you to put the story together in your head. I'm not a fan of shows/movies where they do a recap scene or show someone "explaining" the plan to another character. It's like they need to spoon feed the plot to the viewers. Shows like CSI and Scorpion do this all the time - example: I know your character is a Phd forensic scientist, and mine is too, but the script says that I'm going to "explain" to you that I'm spraying this room with luminol and then turning on this special black light that allows me to see blood spatter everywhere. Then your character will say "wow" as if they've never seen blood spatter before. Lol
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:02 pm
I read the wiki episode summaries and that further convinces me the directing is terrible.
-Nowhere in the actual episodes did they explain explicitly that it was Dwight who slipped information about the heavy weapons. Some scenes hinted it but is it really skilled storytelling if you don't make it obvious to the viewers? I had no clue that it was Dwight who initially told Rick where the heavy weapons are. I had no idea it was Rick's primary plan to secure the heavy weapons so sanctuary can't fend off the walkers

-It's not explained why they decided to hit 4 compounds except in wiki summaries. Apparently they didn't want other groups to reinforce sanctuary. Your guess was as good as mine. I originally thought they didn't know where Negan was hiding and wanted to hit 4 bases.

-I had no idea why they wasted so much ammo to shoot empty windows at Sanctuary. Only after reading the wiki did I understand it was to draw walkers inside. They bothered to explain that Aaron's group was stalling time so the first victims reanimate. So why can't you explain why you must blow your supposedly limited ammo to shoot windows.

Seriously...everything would have been better if instead of wasting time jumping back and forth in time in episode 1 with "old rick", if Rick got together with each group's leader and discussed who is doing what. It's just lazy story telling when you want the audience to figure it out themselves. Explaining a basic plan doesn't spoil any suspense. It makes the story coherent and we can still have surprises as things don't go according to plan.

I think the fundamental issue behind the scenes is having far too many directors. Reading wiki made me see how each episode is directed by a different person. Seriously wtf?!? More heads is not better. There must be too many voices to appease and the end result is a piece of crap with no focus or consistency.

Still better than season 7 though...end of rant
it was a short clip, but key. Dwight and Daryl exchanged love notes via cross bow. The notes that Rick was reading/crossing off were from Dwight. This was a very key seen, and basically is what the entire season is based on.. none of it would have been possible without the note exchange.

Rick and Darryl found out the guns were moved to "Gavin's compound" when Rick and Darryl get shot at by the 18 year old kid... who Darryl shoots even though they offered him peace for information.

At this point Darryl and Rick take off towards Gavin's compound.

Ezekiels crew was stupid. The writing is stupid. These are people fighting a battle, and they are chilling in an open field. It was so obvious they were going to get mowed down that it was stupid. You don't have to serve a tour in the military to know that GUNS + OPEN FIELD = killing fields. anyway, they had to be dramatic about it.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1353 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
You gotta love how Ezekiel kept bragging about not losing 1 person in battle. He really put his foot in his mouth with that one. They kinda gave you a feeling that all those people were going to die the way he kept bragging about it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8816 posts
1538 upvotes
Somewhere
Fabfive wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:33 am
You gotta love how Ezekiel kept bragging about not losing 1 person in battle. He really put his foot in his mouth with that one. They kinda gave you a feeling that all those people were going to die the way he kept bragging about it.
"What are you gonna do? Stab me?"
- man who was stabbed.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5383 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
pintobean wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 10:38 pm

Personally, I prefer when TV shows and movies make you think and allow you to put the story together in your head. I'm not a fan of shows/movies where they do a recap scene or show someone "explaining" the plan to another character. It's like they need to spoon feed the plot to the viewers. Shows like CSI and Scorpion do this all the time - example: I know your character is a Phd forensic scientist, and mine is too, but the script says that I'm going to "explain" to you that I'm spraying this room with luminol and then turning on this special black light that allows me to see blood spatter everywhere. Then your character will say "wow" as if they've never seen blood spatter before. Lol
Evil Genius says to 007:
"James Bond... I have barely tied you up, and I know you are one of the greatest spies MI6 and the Queen has ever had, and that you have escaped certain death from all the super evil geniuses before me, and likely you have or will sleep with my female accompliss who will betray me, however.... I'm confident enough to tell you my evil plan before it comes to fruition and even how it can be spoiled because, sure, there is absolutely no way you can stop me."
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
561 upvotes
Aurora
Writing aside which, yes, can be improved, out of all the leaders in The Walking Dead I would most like to follow Ezekiel. He seems to be a genuinely decent guy with a conscience. Least "morally fluid", with followers that more or less share his values (eg, Jerry is a good guy). I like how this episode shows Ezekiel as just a guy, really not wanting to lead but taking on that obviously very heavy burden anyway. He knows that people look up and depend on him and that he has the ability to inspire them. He knows he sounds ridiculous and yet he plays the role of leader that others expect and demand of him. Others who had otherwise given up hope.

Good character driven episode. Though not a good or logical plot advancement episode (Darryl must be superman to be able to recover from his motorcycle crash so fast) - I don't know, if I crashed like that (assuming no broken bones or internal injuries) I'd still probably be shaken up for at least a couple of hours.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3636 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto
Not a fan of this latest episode. It looks like Gabriel got bitten or scratched during the escape from the trailer, and is infected now, so his dying acts, and his "purpose", will be to save Gregory and Negan. WTF?? That means his death will basically be meaningless. Exactly the opposite of what he was praying for.

And that fight sequence between Daryl and Rick was so contrived and unbelievable that it was stupid.

So now they don't have any heavy guns or explosives, but Rick is going to go and try to convince the Garbage People to join him and turn back on Negan, even though they already double-crossed him once?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1353 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Ya I dont get it...they betrayed him already so I don't get why he's going there...

A he saw a helicopter fly by...who has a FRIGGIN HELICOPTER????

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)