• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2023 1:48 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote: Yes I'm away so doing nothing

stocks (I own) still fall anyway :P and wow at CJR.B hitting $7, ATL/19-year low, geez. and HMNY/OSTK, WOW at the fall
stocks I sold - NTNX, TWLO, MU, TWTR - kept going up despite markets fall anyway

LOL
Only buy stocks that go up. Why are you buying these losers?
-
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
jerryhung wrote: Yes I'm away so doing nothing

stocks (I own) still fall anyway :P and wow at CJR.B hitting $7, ATL/19-year low, geez. and HMNY/OSTK, WOW at the fall
stocks I sold - NTNX, TWLO, MU, TWTR - kept going up despite markets fall anyway

LOL
You son of a... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I knew there was a reason for the recent explosion of shorting! That's OK, that is actually bullish in the medium-term on the short-squeeze anyways.
-
Nice little surprise today for us Jerry -

Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. Announces Plans to Spin-Off Zone Technologies Inc. to Become a Separate Public Company (Photo: Business Wire)

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... chnologies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9331 upvotes
where I belong
ksgill wrote: Only buy stocks that go up. Why are you buying these losers?
LOL. They all went up first, and then down.
but I get your point
Jeenyus1 wrote: You son of a... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I knew there was a reason for the recent explosion of shorting! That's OK, that is actually bullish in the medium-term on the short-squeeze anyways.
-
Nice little surprise today for us Jerry -

Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. Announces Plans to Spin-Off Zone Technologies Inc. to Become a Separate Public Company (Photo: Business Wire)

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... chnologies
I didn't think OSTK would drop -30% in a week, wow. not even a pre-ER run. Bitcoin dropping didn't help but SQ didn't fall at all

anyway, I own ENB (so does everyone?) so it drops -5% today of course, stupid US FERC
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
jerryhung wrote: LOL. They all went up first, and then down.
but I get your point

I didn't think OSTK would drop -30% in a week, wow. not even a pre-ER run. Bitcoin dropping didn't help but SQ didn't fall at all

anyway, I own ENB (so does everyone?) so it drops -5% today of course, stupid US FERC
I think you sold IIRC but goodluck to me and others who are holding in t-minus 1 hour.. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Oct 15, 2016
66 posts
8 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: I had 150 shares, sold 50 at $67, remaining 100 (~$70 ACB, sigh), do or die today I guess, LOL
Jeenyus1 wrote: Image

What the heck did I just read? http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2 ... sults.html

Will tune into the CC.

OSTK dropped almost 14% after hours. Is it still worth holding and wait for the sale of the e-commerce business or is it basically just sell and get the hell out at this point?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
Dmunkeh wrote: OSTK dropped almost 14% after hours. Is it still worth holding and wait for the sale of the e-commerce business or is it basically just sell and get the hell out at this point?
The conference call was the most 'interesting' one I've ever heard in my life. It was like something out of Monty Python sketch or something. I was seriously laughing at some points and watching the stock slide from -8% further down as AH traders were bailing out. Aside from all the unconventionality of Patrick Byrne which is nothing new, there was something that sparked my interest on the Slides of the webcall- it showed that January and February's #'s were picking up. This was in the transcript of CC:

Patrick Byrne
"And on the lower right-hand corner, you’ll see another rare thing. Well now everybody use hockey stick projections all the time. This is not a projection. This is actual as we’re doing something unusual, and that we’re showing you January and February customer growth. So this isn’t just a projection. Saum?

Saum Noursalehi
"Yes. I would just add, up until now, we’ve really tuned our models for short-term profitability, as you can see from the historicals. The last two months or so, we’re really now starting to optimize for future profitability and lifetime value of the customer."

So I did some SKU comparisons between Amazon/Wayfair and Overstock (all Canadian sites) and Overstock's prices are actually cheaper than all 3 for the exact same SKU's. They've actually rolled out this pricing competition strategy which seems to be converting into increased sales (of course, there will be no profit anymore, if there ever was one in the quarter because they're going the way of Wayfair/Amazon). They were also pretty coy on the process of the sale and kept it as 'ongoing' and no other mentions which is typical. I have no idea if this is actually ongoing with Guggenheim or MGMT is stringing along investors.

As they're rolling out their new 'race to the bottom' strategy against Wayfair and adopt Amazon growth strategy - it will manifest into their Q1/Q2 2018 results and essentially change their entire eCommerce strategy and #'s. The CEO is suggesting that anyone can acquire customers to support revenue growth but that their OSTK platform and efficiency is so much better than the competition (Ie: Wayfair) that they'll play the same game but better... I'm going to hold my shares until Q2 2018 to see how this strategy plays out. Pull up Wayfair's #'s and compare to Overstock's there is a massive difference in mkt cap and though both businesses are overvalued, analysts will have to decide what Overstock's future entails based on their new competitive strategical change,
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
Thought I'd take the opportunity for some positivity while I can.
30-day returns are all positive on this short list - soon to be deleted.
YTD% don't look too shabby either.

795 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone getting wrecked today? What's something good to buy today?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
jerryhung wrote: I knew it, back from vacation and TSX drops -1.5%, just like US markets
Rising WTI price good news only lasted 1 day
Be the hero the market needs Jerry and sell everything you've got. Surely, it will reverse course if you do. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Jeenyus1 wrote: Be the hero the market needs Jerry and sell everything you've got. Surely, it will reverse course if you do. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Excellent idea. Or at least post a list of your holdings, what you are about to buy, and what you just sold!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: Excellent idea. Or at least post a list of your holdings, what you are about to buy, and what you just sold!
I'm sure an inverse JH ETF fund will come about and will make us rich!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
lawonga wrote: Anyone getting wrecked today? What's something good to buy today?
Looks like a good buying day. I'm about a month away from having funds. When I look at my watch list all of the following are down at least 1.25%.

ENB, T, BNS, RY, BAM
GOOGL, FB, BABA, UPS, FDX, DIS
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1880 posts
2185 upvotes
Trumps say something dumb again and the bank stocks are falling like dominoes, again.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9331 upvotes
where I belong
Jeenyus1 wrote: Be the hero the market needs Jerry and sell everything you've got. Surely, it will reverse course if you do. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
alanbrenton wrote: I'm sure an inverse JH ETF fund will come about and will make us rich!
LOL, even I can't beat the idiot Trump who tanks/surprises markets DAILY
Tax cut - good
People leaving - bad
Tariff - bad
NAFTA talk - bad
China tariff - bad
etc...
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9331 upvotes
where I belong
1st day back , what a bad welcome :(

TSX -275 pts/-1.76%

Dow -2.98% to 23,945.03. S&P -2.18% to 2,652.38. Nasdaq -2.46% to 7,164.75.
Treasurys: 30-year +0.83%. 10-yr +0.37%. 5-yr +0.22%.
Commodities: Crude -1.44% to $64.23. Gold +0.52% to $1,328.40.
Currencies: Euro -0.17% vs. dollar. Yen -0.64%. Pound +0.2%.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
jerryhung wrote: 1st day back , what a bad welcome :(

TSX -275 pts/-1.76%

Dow -2.98% to 23,945.03. S&P -2.18% to 2,652.38. Nasdaq -2.46% to 7,164.75.
Treasurys: 30-year +0.83%. 10-yr +0.37%. 5-yr +0.22%.
Commodities: Crude -1.44% to $64.23. Gold +0.52% to $1,328.40.
Currencies: Euro -0.17% vs. dollar. Yen -0.64%. Pound +0.2%.