Investing

[Merged] Another bloody red day on the TSX

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2023 1:48 am
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1880 posts
2185 upvotes
The day for TSX start off strong, then by the end of the day all gains were gone. Have to be careful monitoring the situation.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
What the Hell going on with AH?! SPY is down more than 1%, NASDAQ is down almost 2.5% :(
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
andrew4321 wrote: Amazon & Google missed earnings big time https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/25/stocks- ... -more.html
Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN): Q3 GAAP EPS of $5.75 beats by $2.66. Revenue of $56.57B (+29.3% Y/Y) misses by $540M.
Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOG): Q3 GAAP EPS of $13.06 beats by $2.65. Revenue of $33.74B (+21.5% Y/Y) misses by $310M.

- what "big time" misses are you talking about?!

Another giant INTC beat everything and increased guidanance
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
gibor365365 wrote:
Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN): Q3 GAAP EPS of $5.75 beats by $2.66. Revenue of $56.57B (+29.3% Y/Y) misses by $540M.
Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOG): Q3 GAAP EPS of $13.06 beats by $2.65. Revenue of $33.74B (+21.5% Y/Y) misses by $310M.

- what "big time" misses are you talking about?!

Another giant INTC beat everything and increased guidanance
notenoughsleep wrote: Actually Amazon beat earnings, but missed on revenue by less than 1%
It is all about market perception. Amazon -9%, Google -5% AH.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
Joined the party bit late.
I am building FIRE portfolio for the last 2 years using 60EQ/40BND (VCN/VUN/XEC/XEF and VAB). Before the begining of the month, i shifted to 70EQ/30BND allocation due to downward market trends (i know not to time the market, but could not help when EQ is available much lesser price).

I am curious to see how other investors thinking or changing their allocations based on the current market trends to buy more EQ funds?

I am blindly following the couch potato portfolio of EQ allocation for 70EQ/30BND which is (VCN-25%, VUN-25%, XEC-4%, XEF-16%). Wondering how the proportions to be changed if i take 80EQ route.. ex: to increase CAN/USA to 30% each by leaving Emerging/European markets as is or Increase the them by leaving the TSX/S&P.

Appreciate some feedback of RFDers who are in the same boat.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
jerryhung wrote: There's TSX new 52w low
I just bought some ETF's and wish i have some more dove to buy more n more :-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: Joined the party bit late.
I am building FIRE portfolio for the last 2 years using 60EQ/40BND (VCN/VUN/XEC/XEF and VAB). Before the begining of the month, i shifted to 70EQ/30BND allocation due to downward market trends (i know not to time the market, but could not help when EQ is available much lesser price).

I am curious to see how other investors thinking or changing their allocations based on the current market trends to buy more EQ funds?

I am blindly following the couch potato portfolio of EQ allocation for 70EQ/30BND which is (VCN-25%, VUN-25%, XEC-4%, XEF-16%). Wondering how the proportions to be changed if i take 80EQ route.. ex: to increase CAN/USA to 30% each by leaving Emerging/European markets as is or Increase the them by leaving the TSX/S&P.

Feedback: market correction = no more FIRE. You're working till you're 70!
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mkannuri wrote: Wondering how the proportions to be changed if i take 80EQ route.. ex: to increase CAN/USA to 30% each by leaving Emerging/European markets as is or Increase the them by leaving the TSX/S&P.

I’ve been decreasing CAN allocation from 15% to 10% (was about half way there before the drop :)) and increasing non-equity (will buy one more GIC to complete 3 year GIC ladder next week) As for the rest, using XAW’s percentages (hold it in my TFSA and might start also buying in the non-reg account next year):

57% US
32% XEF
11% IEMG

So for example if your target is 20% in bonds and 20% in CAN (personally, I wouldn’t go higher than that) the rest would be 60*0.57 = 34.5% US, 60*0.32 = 19% developed and 6.5% emerging. You can round them up or down based on your preferences and risk appetite :)
Last edited by freilona on Oct 27th, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: Joined the party bit late.

I've kept the couch potato allocations in the RRSP's and TFSA's the same for the last few years with no plans to change. A mix of TD e-Series and ETF's.

Aside from adding any distributions and/or savings to the lagging asset class(es) and rebalancing at least once a year, not much more than that.

We're already retired and will be converting the RRSP's to RRIF's in another year or so.

RRSP Allocation: 40% CDN Bonds, 20% CDN Equity, 20% U.S., 20% EAFE.

TFSA Allocation: 10% CDN Bonds, 30% CDN Equity, 30% U.S., 30% EAFE.

I haven't owned emerging markets for the last few years now, and for the 5% allocation I'd assign to the portfolios, don't think it's worth it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you take a look at Justin Bender's website he has a few portfolio examples for TFSA, RRSP and Taxable accounts.

https://www.canadianportfoliomanagerblo ... ortfolios/
Feb 5, 2017
910 posts
913 upvotes
cash is king :

3.5% emerging markets etf
5.5% canadian dividend paying stuff
10% gic ladder
11% bond etf

and 70% cash
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
alexcalvado wrote: cash is king :

3.5% emerging markets etf
5.5% canadian dividend paying stuff
10% gic ladder
11% bond etf

and 70% cash
That's a lot of Bond ETF in raising rate env

And that cash is losing getting -3% annual returns right now
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
Sometime today I'll listen to a podcast titled No Recession or Bear Market Yet but I best not link to it lest the stressed enter the low state of apoplecticity.

Have a wonderful day, all ye doubters.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gboard2 wrote: That's a lot of Bond ETF in raising rate env

And that cash is losing getting -3% annual returns right now
He has ~2M portfolio. And would rather lose 3% than 30%. And doesn’t want to lock more money in GICs in case, you know, the crash is near - should be any year now.. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Looks like TSX is down nearly 10% for the month of October. I'm doing the Owen Wilson "WOW" as I look at things to buy.
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
treva84 wrote: Looks like TSX is down nearly 10% for the month of October. I'm doing the Owen Wilson "WOW" as I look at things to buy.
Looking for advice from people smarter and more experienced than me. Nearing 10% drop should I start averaging in my cash? Maybe add 25% every 10% drop? Long term hold and sitting on a lot of cash. I was waiting for this correction for some time but the more I read the more it seems like it'll just be a small correction and not a huge reason to be a significant one. Can't imagine much more of a drop.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
baz5 wrote: Looking for advice from people smarter and more experienced than me. Nearing 10% drop should I start averaging in my cash? Maybe add 25% every 10% drop? Long term hold and sitting on a lot of cash. I was waiting for this correction for some time but the more I read the more it seems like it'll just be a small correction and not a huge reason to be a significant one. Can't imagine much more of a drop.
I don't think anyone knows what the market will do. I was saying that it couldn't get worse with HCG when it was at $20. Just remember it can always get worse :).

I like the valuations of the companies I own and I've been adding during this dip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)