[Merged] Another bloody red day on the TSX

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 11:51 am
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3795 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
This will be the one time in recent months that I'm glad to be holding the US stocks ETF in unhedged CAD. Should cushion some of that market crush tomorrow...
Aug 14, 2010
367 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
The tin foil hat brigade are going to be coming out of the woodwork again, they've been in hiding since mid February.
Oct 21, 2014
650 posts
438 upvotes
Burlington, ON
emanon86 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 6:51 am
The tin foil hat brigade are going to be coming out of the woodwork again, they've been in hiding since mid February.
Let them enjoy their day in the sun, today they can rant and rave about the end of the world and tell us all how they knew it would happen.

On the other hand, I'll be on my brokerage account at 9:30 in case of flash crash at open, ready to scoop up bargains.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29070 posts
994 upvotes
Fernando Po
Gungnir wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 7:50 am
Let them enjoy their day in the sun, today they can rant and rave about the end of the world and tell us all how they knew it would happen.

On the other hand, I'll be on my brokerage account at 9:30 in case of flash crash at open, ready to scoop up bargains.
^^this. I look at it this way, if the economy is about to tank, its going to take everything with it (including bank accounts, cash, housing, etc) so might as well gamble on the market.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
161 upvotes
It really isn't that bloody considering how the markets were pumped up over the last 5 trading sessions prior to Brexit. For instance, the DOW last Friday closed at 17666 and yesterday closed at 18011. Taking into account the 500 point drop in premarket this morning the DOW is only down 155 points since last Friday. Of course this is all a charade IMO. With 3 months left until the US presidential election the corrupt Fed along with her crony buddies on Wall Street will do what it takes to keep the market strong to avoid ruining Obama's and Hillary's reputation.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4175 posts
1172 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Si98 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 8:31 am
It really isn't that bloody considering how the markets were pumped up over the last 5 trading sessions prior to Brexit. For instance, the DOW last Friday closed at 17666 and yesterday closed at 18011. Taking into account the 500 point drop in premarket this morning the DOW is only down 155 points since last Friday.
Fallout to the DJI is tangential anyway, based on aggregate impact to global economy. Hardest hit are companies with strong ties to UK market specifically, London-listed banks, insurers, etc.

Buying op on Aviva? LON:AV
https://www.google.com/finance?q=LON%3A ... Ma72AbH1gY
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1201 posts
113 upvotes
XEG and Suncor surprisingly holding up well...
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
161 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 9:32 am
Fallout to the DJI is tangential anyway, based on aggregate impact to global economy. Hardest hit are companies with strong ties to UK market specifically, London-listed banks, insurers, etc.

Buying op on Aviva? LON:AV
https://www.google.com/finance?q=LON%3A ... Ma72AbH1gY
Tangential or not the central banks are pumping steroids into the markets (like they have been over the past 8 years) to keep the Brexit bloodshed to a minimal. This is why its so tough to short the markets.

Central banks move to calm jittery markets after Brexit shock
Oct 21, 2014
650 posts
438 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Si98 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 10:10 am
Tangential or not the central banks are pumping steroids into the markets (like they have been over the past 8 years) to keep the Brexit bloodshed to a minimal. This is why its so tough to short the markets.

Central banks move to calm jittery markets after Brexit shock
I was hoping hoping for a metaphorical panic sale but instead it looks like we got one of those crappy "store closure" sales where they mark the electronics down by 5% and call it a sale, in stock market form.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3795 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
Gungnir wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 10:15 am
I was hoping hoping for a metaphorical panic sale but instead it looks like we got one of those crappy "store closure" sales where they mark the electronics down by 5% and call it a sale, in stock market form.
yeah such a cold deal today.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1376 posts
516 upvotes
Houston, TX
looks like it's more scary for US and EU, then for CAN and UK after all...(and more fear mongering was overnight)
FTSE100 -2% while DAC -6%

TSX down about 1% while S&P -2%

Meanwhile no sale on my div stocks :( or :) (BCE, CJR.B, ENF) and CCP portfolio 40/60 is down about 1% (or even close to par as surge in bonds compensate slide in stocks, luckily my intl exposure only 10% of portfolio)
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23391 posts
1101 upvotes
Markham, ON
asa1973 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 11:25 am
looks like it's more scary for US and EU, then for CAN and UK after all...(and more fear mongering was overnight)
FTSE100 -2% while DAC -6%

TSX down about 1% while S&P -2%

Meanwhile no sale on my div stocks :( or :) (BCE, CJR.B, ENF) and CCP portfolio 40/60 is down about 1% (or even close to par as surge in bonds compensate slide in stocks, luckily my intl exposure only 10% of portfolio)
cause of gold...