• May 24th, 2018 12:58 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28325 posts
2000 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chance7652 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 1:49 pm
Well its a 3.5% better price than last week. Very hard to say where its going to go from here.
thought someone here might know technical analysis and chart reading who can comment. what i gathered from the comments here is that now is a good time to buy.
Apr 27, 2015
727 posts
123 upvotes
Another day ... SPY is +1.5%, TSX is -0.3% :( ...Looks like SPY should be 2%+ up, so TSX can crawl to positive territory :(.
I was for long time bearish on Canada, esp after Liberals took the office, but didn't expect such terrible performance...
Is Canada economic so extremely bad?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21371 posts
3626 upvotes
Waterloo
gibor365365 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 6:02 pm
Another day ... SPY is +1.5%, TSX is -0.3% :( ...Looks like SPY should be 2%+ up, so TSX can crawl to positive territory :(.
I was for long time bearish on Canada, esp after Liberals took the office, but didn't expect such terrible performance...
Is Canada economic so extremely bad?
It's not, but who says Strong economy = strong stock market?

but nothing matters for TSX at this point - too many bearish views on oil, pipeline constraints, liberal gov't, and why invest here when you have USA/Europe/E.M. performing better (in good and bad days) than us?
Even us local Canadians don't want to
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10575 posts
1172 upvotes
Markham
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 6:53 pm
It's not, but who says Strong economy = strong stock market?

but nothing matters for TSX at this point - too many bearish views on oil, pipeline constraints, liberal gov't, and why invest here when you have USA/Europe/E.M. performing better (in good and bad days) than us?
Even us local Canadians don't want to
Bingo. Blame our governments for making Canada bad for business.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8121 posts
2604 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
divx wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 5:41 pm
thought someone here might know technical analysis and chart reading who can comment. what i gathered from the comments here is that now is a good time to buy.
Unless you think there will be an attack from zombies soon, yes, this is a good opportunity to buy. :)
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21371 posts
3626 upvotes
Waterloo
After Globe, now it's CBC's turn

Why the Canadian stock market is performing so poorly compared to the U.S. market - Business - CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada- ... -1.4526473
The week's gut wrenching volatility on stock markets tell us two important things. First, that over a year or more, most stocks are still performing incredibly well. Second, that Canada's stock market looks awful when compared to U.S. benchmarks like the Dow Jones or the S&P 500.
and BNN

https://www.bnn.ca/john-hood-s-top-pick ... D=18841778
In Canada however, I’m not enthusiastic other than for the banks; in fact, I sold about 15 per cent of my Canadian ETFs last week and I’m positioned to sell more. I simply see better growth opportunities in global developed markets and, to a degree, in emerging markets.

Unlike the U.S., which slashed corporate taxes and is accelerating deregulation, Canada’s regulatory system is out of control and business is under constant threat of tax increases. Hopefully the measures announced today to expedite the pipeline approvals will have teeth, but despite Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr’s strong assertions about the prominence of federal over provincial regulatory regimes, I remain skeptical of the government’s commitment to developing Canadian energy resources.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Sep 29, 2007
471 posts
77 upvotes
TSX 10 year chart is just awful. Investors are taking their money elsewhere including myself. Only keeping banks, utilities, pipes and telcos. Will keep some index as tax consequences would be too high to fully dump this garbage
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1476 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 7:27 pm
Blame the constituents who elected our gvmnts that make Canada bad for business.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10575 posts
1172 upvotes
Markham
max88 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:18 pm
Blame the constituents who elected our gvmnts that make Canada bad for business.
Sure...and those who don't vote at all. But it's a huge problem when you have someone campaign on "x" defecits and triple or more their projections as soon as elected...and most ppl don't bat an eye
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1286 posts
284 upvotes
Hope you guys are faring fine. I've been sitting in cash for the last month or so because something about the market movement seemed off. This week was crazy. I want to think that I could have made some money on some trades but given the wild swings, it's all a coin-toss. Still waiting on the sidelines for now.
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage United Realty
Apr 27, 2015
727 posts
123 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 7:27 pm
and whom we should blame?! Again Putin?!
Apr 27, 2015
727 posts
123 upvotes
retireat50 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:16 pm
TSX 10 year chart is just awful. Investors are taking their money elsewhere including myself. Only keeping banks, utilities, pipes and telcos. Will keep some index as tax consequences would be too high to fully dump this garbage
I have 7 investment accounts and the worst ones both TFSAs as I don't have US stocks there because of dividend withholding tax.
Several years ago my portfolio was 70% TSX, 30% US and other markets. Now I have already 50/50 organically as TSX stocks underperfom greatly.

P.S. My biggest investment mistake was not exchanging all available CAD$ to US$ when they were in par
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8121 posts
2604 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gibor365365 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 11:59 pm
P.S. My biggest investment mistake was not exchanging all available CAD$ to US$ when they were in par
Actually, your biggest mistake wasn't exchanging CAD$ to US$ regardless of the exchange rate. Because if you did that, you would be able to better participate in the increasing US market without having to think about exchange.

But on a related note, we are coming into the later half of an economic cycle where inflation starts to move along with interest rates and as those two move, so do commodities which is generally very good for the Canadian market...