Nov 25, 2009
204 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh you guys are right, what the hell happened this morning
Feb 5, 2017
414 posts
230 upvotes
why are you still holding the TSX index if you do not believe in it ?
I have ditched the TSX (and kept only bank shares). I don't see it outperforming the S&P500 in the near future.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1120 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
alexcalvado wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 4:27 pm
why are you still holding the TSX index if you do not believe in it ?
I have ditched the TSX (and kept only bank shares). I don't see it outperforming the S&P500 in the near future.
Few reasons could be,
1. Home bias.
2. Better tax rate for non-registered account.

Are those good enough reason? Depends on the person you ask.
Jul 8, 2018
8 posts
7 upvotes
last_sd wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 5:00 pm
Few reasons could be,
1. Home bias.
2. Better tax rate for non-registered account.

Are those good enough reason? Depends on the person you ask.
horizon kind of negated point 2 if you're okay with swaps
Oct 14, 2015
463 posts
141 upvotes
Millennials Are Sitting Out the Bull Stock Market
The financial crisis left scars that have yet to heal.
Bloomberg, September 5, 2018

What has happened to the generation of investors that came of age in the middle of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression? The evidence suggests their experiences scarred them deeply, though we don’t yet know if this psychological damage is permanent.
http://ritholtz.com/2018/09/the-kids-arent-alright/
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3554 posts
1371 upvotes
I've seen investors who never wanted to enter the stock market again after the 1987 crash and also the tech meltdown of the early 2000's. Although I wasn't invested at the time, probably the same thing happened after the go go stock collapse of the late 60's and after the nifty fifty fall in the mid-70's.

I still remember during the 1987 crash when John Templeton was the guest on Wall Street Week and how he kept my own mind calm with what was said. I just knew that as long as I had investable cash I kept buying until it ran out and to continue to plow through that down market and all the other one's following. Besides it's the only way I can learn any faults in my own investing strategy. I always find some. I learn virtually nothing from a bull market.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1398 posts
215 upvotes
IrwinW wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 11:19 am

The financial crisis left scars that have yet to heal.
Bloomberg, September 5, 2018

What has happened to the generation of investors that came of age in the middle of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression? The evidence suggests their experiences scarred them deeply, though we don’t yet know if this psychological damage is permanent.
http://ritholtz.com/2018/09/the-kids-arent-alright/
I am not a millennial but I am in this situation that you described... Sitting liquid out of Market... Wont hesitate to share that I did get burnt a bit in 2008...
Dont know what to do .. Seems like the scars are deep...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2495 posts
1144 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
CocoJambo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 12:29 pm
I am not a millennial but I am in this situation that you described... Sitting liquid out of Market... Wont hesitate to share that I did get burnt a bit in 2008...
Dont know what to do .. Seems like the scars are deep...
For better or for worse we are all slaves to our psychology. We can't necessarily change that but it's easier to manage once you understand the issue. What you are describing is called loss aversion and basically impacts every human being.

Learning more about behavioural economics has helped me immensely with managing my own psychological short comings and tolerating the pain that comes with equity investing.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
1130 posts
162 upvotes
Canadian market is retardeed in line with our mentally challenged liberal government :)
NDP for Unions, PC for people. Only PC can save Ontario.
Sep 29, 2007
499 posts
84 upvotes
Disagree completely....the millennial are all frothing at the mouth at the Weed stocks and this has severely dampened interest in other TSX names. TSX names will be dead $ for at least several decades once millenials get burned. Sell anything to do with Canada ASAP. WEED, ACB and APH combined market cap exceeds DOL, Cdn Tire combined lol
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3554 posts
1371 upvotes
I've no idea where the TSX is headed nor any other market for that matter. I just continue to do what's served me well over the long term and buy the unloved. Lately the laggards I've added to are Canadian bonds, the TSX and EAFE indexes in the RRSP's and TFSA's. Canadian pipeline and electrical utilities equities in the non-registered.
'