Off Topic Archive

Locked: [Merged] Anyone live near a hydro field/tower/lines?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2011 11:00 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 17, 2004
18 posts

[Merged] Anyone live near a hydro field/tower/lines?

Any idea if living near a large hydro field is dangerous for your health? do they let off some sort of radiation?
Share:
21 replies
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
There is much debate to this. Just do a google search and you can see arguments to both sides.

Personally, I would not want to live near powerlines. Aside from potential health concerns, the home would also be harder to sell down the road.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
Electric fields and magnetic fields are emmitted from lines.

There are also ozone emmissions from the highest voltage lines. And utilities tend to spray the areas with lines with defoiliating chemicals.

I'd personally shy away.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
6975 posts
648 upvotes
Toronto
orangeapple wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 12:02 am
Any idea if living near a large hydro field is dangerous for your health?
The official word is that it is OK to live nearby (just outside the designated safety zone). On the other hand, who knows; X-rays were considered safe early on.
orangeapple wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 12:02 am
do they let off some sort of radiation?
Yes, electromagnetic radiation. One thing to note is that its power decreases very quickly with increasing distance from the source.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7741 posts
147 upvotes
I have lived next to a hydro field for 25 yrs, there is a hydro pole less then 100 meters from my room. No one in my neighborhood has become sick because of it. But the lightening is CRAZY in the summer... I think the real danger in the coyotes and foxes I see in my backyard daily. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
6917 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
I'm about a 15 minute or so walk from a hydro field, my friend's parents house I wouldn't say BACKS onto the hydro field since the lake is there, but you can clearly see the power plant and wind mill generator, I walk the dog through there all the time in the summer and everything is fine. Don't worry about it.

Did you hear from somewhere that it was bad?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1395 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Why risk potential health to you and of your family to save a few bucks!

Plus like the post above said, harder to sell!

Cheers
RFD priceless!
Dec 10, 2004
731 posts
46 upvotes
YEG
There's been quite a bit of coverage about the Heartland transmission project for the past year or so, you can check out their website www.heartlandtransmission.ca . I'm sure if you google it as well you'll find the activist/protest group''s views as well.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37801 posts
798 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We used to live for a year at Finch/Yonge in the condos along the hydro corridor and my folks complained that they'd get headaches every so often. Now we live in a house that's about 6-700m from a transformer station and they haven't said anything at all. I guess, out of sight, out of mind? :P

I'm sure there's effects, whether biological or mental, which is why those properties have a lower resale value.
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
18 posts
thanks for the replies all..

anyone live near commerce gate? i was referring to property around there - the new developments most south of the community, closest to the 407ETR.

just south of that area is a large hydro connection - also right where the 407 ETR is.

is there a way i can get a measurement of potential harmful output frmo these hydro lines?
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Hydro lines haven't been sprayed for years. Our court has a hydro line at the end of it and in the 8 yrs we've been here it's never been sprayed. They cut it a few times a year and that's it. IIRC, they quit spraying hydro lines quite a while before the provincial herbicide/pesticide ban came into effect...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
4522 posts
771 upvotes
But you brought it due to the lower price so the harder to sell argument is a wash unless the power lines were installed AFTER you brought it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
I know people that live next to a small transformer station..... when we visit we get annoyed at the buzzing sounds outside....they are used to the sound.

No they don't have extra toes, eyes,finns.... or extra powers.

If it wasn't healthy, bylaws would exist about proximity of dwellings. In fact warning signs around and would suggest do not walk by as well.

Yes there are debates on this, both sides have strong points.

Think of it this way, hyrdo workers have to work/maintain there, if unsafe there union wouldn't allow it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6955 posts
60 upvotes
Ottawa
My backyard backs onto hydro lines. Never had an issue.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2423 posts
82 upvotes
Honnestly, it's all about perception. Really, if you looked out towards you back yard and you had some buzzing eiffel tower nonsense blocking your view, you wouldn't really like it right?
× < >