Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Aug 22, 2010
241 posts
113 upvotes
PeculiarChap wrote: Hello Again

Still working here, Anyway, Starting next week I will be assigned to a relay walk route. I am thinking of buying new shoes this weekend, any recommendations?

Get some insoles. Your feet will thank you at the end of the day.
Jul 21, 2014
10 posts
Is there any way to check when my vacation time starts online? I picked so long ago I don't recall what I chose.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
tedfromaccounting wrote: Is there any way to check when my vacation time starts online? I picked so long ago I don't recall what I chose.
not online.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes
What are the chances of moving to other Canada Post positions internally? Can somebody let me know please? I completed University and don't want to stick with Delivery jobs.
Dec 8, 2017
164 posts
73 upvotes
mathewjones wrote: What are the chances of moving to other Canada Post positions internally? Can somebody let me know please? I completed University and don't want to stick with Delivery jobs.
Look around the ESS site. There are internal career opportunities posted.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
mathewjones wrote: What are the chances of moving to other Canada Post positions internally? Can somebody let me know please? I completed University and don't want to stick with Delivery jobs.
I have been told that when you apply for these types of positions from CUPW, you have no advantage over Joe Public, apart from your CP experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
usually some things like trainer jobs and such..if looking at management be careful as a lot of current offering are for PEAK Supervisors...if it last over 3 months you would lose all senority and then go back to delivery
Dec 8, 2017
164 posts
73 upvotes
CanadaProud wrote: usually some things like trainer jobs and such..if looking at management be careful as a lot of current offering are for PEAK Supervisors...if it last over 3 months you would lose all senority and then go back to delivery
That’s right BUT if you work in a Post Office with more than 150 employees that are in cupw in group one and two, you lose seniority on day ONE of acting in a position that is not In the CUPW bargaining. So be very wary if you are offered something that is not permanent.
Last edited by Postie2 on Aug 12th, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 23, 2011
367 posts
256 upvotes
toronto
Are we allowed to opt out of ei insurance, disability insurance, dental, life insurance etc? With all these things in it feels like a minimum wage labor job.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
Does everyone wear the work issued shorts? I’ll be honest. I hate them. They are too long and the pocket is too short for DNC cards which is the one thing they had to do. Anyone know of a cheap brand that I can mix in? Or something I can look out for on sale?

I wear them March to October at least,. Probably more.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1176 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
jmomccxx wrote: Does everyone wear the work issued shorts? I’ll be honest. I hate them. They are too long and the pocket is too short for DNC cards which is the one thing they had to do. Anyone know of a cheap brand that I can mix in? Or something I can look out for on sale?

I have never worn cp issued shorts. i used my points for either another jacket or shirt. I have been purchasing Dickie cargo shorts. They are very good quality. Buy them on sale only. they usually have 40 per cent off sale. They have navy blue and black and no one has said i anything.

For winter I purchase Dickies cargo long pants.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
jmomccxx wrote: Does everyone wear the work issued shorts? I’ll be honest. I hate them. They are too long and the pocket is too short for DNC cards which is the one thing they had to do. Anyone know of a cheap brand that I can mix in? Or something I can look out for on sale?

I wear them. I don’t find them too long (just above the knee) and dnc cards stick out just far enough that you can grab them. I may have the older models because I haven’t bought any in a couple years.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Ymmv they are doing a uniform blitz. I got "talked to" for not wearing the correct shorts (I had the correct top on).

Also ymmv, I should have mentioned this earlier IKEA thick booklets 9 day starting today. I forgot to book off 2 weeks of work in advance so now stuck with them lol
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
33966 wrote: Ymmv they are doing a uniform blitz. I got "talked to" for not wearing the correct shorts (I had the correct top on).

Also ymmv, I should have mentioned this earlier IKEA thick booklets 9 day starting today. I forgot to book off 2 weeks of work in advance so now stuck with them lol
And the union signed off on those, ikea used to be more than 9 days..and after September long only 2 days for cdn tire catalogues....and the union signed off on that too
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes

I like them....well, I like the pockets. :)

Initially, mine were too long as well. I'm tall (for a woman) so I guess they figure I should be modest as well? LOL

I just called Logistiks and asked them to send my waist size with the shortest length available. They did, and now the shorts are perfect. About mid-thigh.

I wear them most of the time...whenever it is above 5 degrees. Yes, I'm one of those. ;)

Never occurred to me to carry DNC's in my pockets though...I have enough things in there already!
Dec 23, 2011
367 posts
256 upvotes
toronto
Remember to vote yes for the strike, unless you prefer to work at a minimum wage labor job, in which case vote against the strike.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
fishhunting wrote: Remember to vote yes for the strike, unless you prefer to work at a minimum wage labor job, in which case vote against the strike.
Lol. With reduced flyer money and electric vehicle dreams CUPW is leading us towards extinction. I’m sure they fix the vote anyway.
May 21, 2013
833 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
fishhunting wrote: Remember to vote yes for the strike, unless you prefer to work at a minimum wage labor job, in which case vote against the strike.
vote no, I have confidence Canada Post will offer us a reasonable contract unlike these silly Union demands.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

tarjet