Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1545 posts
1140 upvotes
at the chiropractors
handsomepolack wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 6:46 pm
So we got a offer of 1% & 1.5%, , let me do the math? mmmm, take into account 2015 @ 0%, 2.5% over 3 yrs? utter rubbish CUPW ! get your @$$ out of your @#%=, you gotta start doing the job. I'm voting NO! I'm p!$$ed off
If you think that you are mad now, just wait until you figure out that you are going to actually take a WAGE CUT when you factor in getting paid less for flyers....lol
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 15, 2016
84 posts
13 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 7:36 pm
albertnash wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 6:58 pm
Did you guys get better at sorting with practice before your sortation test. I'm asking because I'm in my second day of training and my sortation is terrible, literally taking16 minutes to sort 120. I'm pretty worried that ill fail the sortation test but I'm hoping I'll get better in with the next couple of training days.

Are they strict in the 120 in 10 minutes and did you guys get better as the training days went on (better at sorting)?
It's tricky to get the hang of.

But it's dead simple really.

Streets are always in alphabetical order. So when you pick up a letter with e.g. 156 Front St, just find Front St, then the even numbers, then scan forwards/backwards for 156. If you can't place it in a few seconds, drop it and move on. You'll remember you had 156 Front St when you pick up 108 Front St a few minutes later and can then put it (156) up.

It's way easier for the sort test as you've been practising on the same case all week. Get a piece of paper and do a rough drawing of where the streets are located on the case. Memorize/familiarize.

Good luck.
120 in 10 min with the amount of practice time you get is unrealistic and I would doubt they would fail u if you don't hit that despite what is said in training.
I would say they try to scare you to make sure you make sorting a priority. I would suggest taking pictures of the case for the test trying to memorize best you can .
If your not organized and sort accurate your day will take much much longer and you will screw yourself as a temp..focus on accuracy ..speed will follow.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1248 posts
90 upvotes
Nowhere
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 8:19 pm
If you think that you are mad now, just wait until you figure out that you are going to actually take a WAGE CUT when you factor in getting paid less for flyers....lol

My thoughts exactly. We're all going to take a big hit on the wallet at a sacrifice to our bodies with larger half-kilogram flyers for much less pay. The majority now will fall under the 3-day 1.5 cent catagory. There goes our measly wage increase. Pitiful.
Newbie
May 18, 2015
2 posts
Mississauga, ON
albertnash wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 6:58 pm
Did you guys get better at sorting with practice before your sortation test. I'm asking because I'm in my second day of training and my sortation is terrible, literally taking16 minutes to sort 120. I'm pretty worried that ill fail the sortation test but I'm hoping I'll get better in with the next couple of training days.

Are they strict in the 120 in 10 minutes and did you guys get better as the training days went on (better at sorting)?

Relax.

Dunno what training location you're at, or what training case you're using ( I was at Progress in Toronto), but here's what happened with me:

I came in every morning about an hour early and went to my sorting case to do 5-minute sprints. I set my iPhone timer to 5 minutes and then sorted. At the end of 5 minutes, I counted the envelopes, doubled them and then got my score.

I did this over and over, and panicked, seeing how far I was from the 120. I got better, but still not good enough.

On test day, the instructor told us that the 120 was not a deal breaker, and just relax and do the best you can. I ended up at about 105, and I was best in class! And trust me - I was not the only one in class to become an employee. Keep practicing, do your best, and you will make it.
Newbie
May 8, 2015
61 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
krispies wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 10:54 pm
Relax.

Dunno what training location you're at, or what training case you're using ( I was at Progress in Toronto), but here's what happened with me:

I came in every morning about an hour early and went to my sorting case to do 5-minute sprints. I set my iPhone timer to 5 minutes and then sorted. At the end of 5 minutes, I counted the envelopes, doubled them and then got my score.

I did this over and over, and panicked, seeing how far I was from the 120. I got better, but still not good enough.

On test day, the instructor told us that the 120 was not a deal breaker, and just relax and do the best you can. I ended up at about 105, and I was best in class! And trust me - I was not the only one in class to become an employee. Keep practicing, do your best, and you will make it.
I was at Progress too and on the last day, the instructor said the mail was "contaminated" so we skipped the test. Honestly, I think we just ran out of time. Still had to do the written test though but that was a joke.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1248 posts
90 upvotes
Nowhere
moonfirespam wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:58 am
krispies wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 10:54 pm
Relax.

Dunno what training location you're at, or what training case you're using ( I was at Progress in Toronto), but here's what happened with me:

I came in every morning about an hour early and went to my sorting case to do 5-minute sprints. I set my iPhone timer to 5 minutes and then sorted. At the end of 5 minutes, I counted the envelopes, doubled them and then got my score.

I did this over and over, and panicked, seeing how far I was from the 120. I got better, but still not good enough.

On test day, the instructor told us that the 120 was not a deal breaker, and just relax and do the best you can. I ended up at about 105, and I was best in class! And trust me - I was not the only one in class to become an employee. Keep practicing, do your best, and you will make it.
I was at Progress too and on the last day, the instructor said the mail was "contaminated" so we skipped the test. Honestly, I think we just ran out of time. Still had to do the written test though but that was a joke.
Sounds like they needed as many bodies as possible.
Obviously training taught you that the corporation invents numbers and lies to employees. Great start. Remember to always follow their rules until they decide that quietly changing them will maximize profits. Unknown suspensions will be looming,
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
130 upvotes
TORONTO
I, you... whoever voted Lib P wanted change at Canada Post , not pocket change. I demand that CUPW union should just start 'leaving the office' and clean out your stinky locker, it
'stinks'

We got a new government ,a rookie PM, and this what you get? 14 months and counting contract , 1%-1.5% ? your a joke , 'just leave'
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 21, 2013
805 posts
364 upvotes
Montreal
How can you have a postal bank with the threat of a strike every 2/4 years?.... Ok Cupw, bunch of morons.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
130 upvotes
TORONTO
ksimms3 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 7:11 am
How can you have a postal bank with the threat of a strike every 2/4 years?.... Ok Cupw, bunch of morons.
Yes, strange happenings at the CUPW offices, anytime you phone the person you ask for is 'gone fishing' members need to get ' a new ' capable leadership ASAP ! '
Sr. Member
Mar 26, 2007
520 posts
174 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes, I am still pro union but lost faith in this leadership. They are unable to get the deal done and have no guts to call a strike. They cracked under the pressure of the ministry of Labour.
Vote no and stand up for yourself , brothers and sisters!
Newbie
Sep 27, 2015
93 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
moonfirespam wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:58 am
krispies wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 10:54 pm
Relax.

Dunno what training location you're at, or what training case you're using ( I was at Progress in Toronto), but here's what happened with me:

I came in every morning about an hour early and went to my sorting case to do 5-minute sprints. I set my iPhone timer to 5 minutes and then sorted. At the end of 5 minutes, I counted the envelopes, doubled them and then got my score.

I did this over and over, and panicked, seeing how far I was from the 120. I got better, but still not good enough.

On test day, the instructor told us that the 120 was not a deal breaker, and just relax and do the best you can. I ended up at about 105, and I was best in class! And trust me - I was not the only one in class to become an employee. Keep practicing, do your best, and you will make it.
I was at Progress too and on the last day, the instructor said the mail was "contaminated" so we skipped the test. Honestly, I think we just ran out of time. Still had to do the written test though but that was a joke.
I also did my training at Progress, when did you do your training and who's your instructor?
Newbie
Sep 27, 2015
93 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
moonfirespam wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:58 am
krispies wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 10:54 pm
Relax.

Dunno what training location you're at, or what training case you're using ( I was at Progress in Toronto), but here's what happened with me:

I came in every morning about an hour early and went to my sorting case to do 5-minute sprints. I set my iPhone timer to 5 minutes and then sorted. At the end of 5 minutes, I counted the envelopes, doubled them and then got my score.

I did this over and over, and panicked, seeing how far I was from the 120. I got better, but still not good enough.

On test day, the instructor told us that the 120 was not a deal breaker, and just relax and do the best you can. I ended up at about 105, and I was best in class! And trust me - I was not the only one in class to become an employee. Keep practicing, do your best, and you will make it.
I was at Progress too and on the last day, the instructor said the mail was "contaminated" so we skipped the test. Honestly, I think we just ran out of time. Still had to do the written test though but that was a joke.
Who's your instructor?

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

ERICVANCOUVER