Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 12, 2011
111 posts
36 upvotes
The thing is, why wouldn't it slide through? We're already assigned completely unreasonable walks and told it can be done in 8hrs (with your allotted lunch and rest break). In the winter we're constantly at risk of serious injury delivering in the dark with our trusty headlamps. Parcel delivery volume increases each week, flyer volume madness, etc., etc.

Point being, I have zero confidence that this one will not slide through easily.
Mar 11, 2016
62 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Bring back LCUC...Letter Carriers Union of Canada. LCs already getting screwed, but that new system would be the straw that broke the camels back! Smiling Face With HornsSmiling Face With Horns
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15801 posts
560 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Wow this thread moved fast in such few days! Any update on that open CMB thing?

I also got the CP envelope thing in the mail regarding the crappy tire thing.

Just saw this news thing:

http://www.cp24.com/news/street-closed- ... -1.3323500

I think I know the guy too =/
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Apr 30, 2015
591 posts
375 upvotes
York, ON
The stepvans have almost no traction on ice and snow. Really unsafe, makes for some fun driving though..
Mar 11, 2016
62 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
33966 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:46 pm
Wow this thread moved fast in such few days! Any update on that open CMB thing?

I also got the CP envelope thing in the mail regarding the crappy tire thing.

Just saw this news thing:

http://www.cp24.com/news/street-closed- ... -1.3323500

I think I know the guy too =/
Medical emergency perhaps? Hope the guy is doing ok.
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
today i started at 9h45 and had no help to sort my case, literally left at 12h45. i managed to barely scan the BPcomms and my red box in time to bring back tot he dépôt by 18h15, then headed back to finish them. it was so dark and i kept the door of my ford transit open to illuminate me but i brought back maybe half a pan of sequenced mail once i finished the rest because i'm not about to take even LONGER than my dumbass does already to deliver xyz avenue door to door, plus i'm in this route all week, so it'll only affect me tmrw. i did all my scannables of course, but i was wondering how much we can push this ? my supervisor called a few times and was like 'well you can deliver until 21h' BYE girl what the hell, surely there is some leeway.. i also thought it was 20h for mail and 21h for packages. it already feels awkward to ring a doorbell at 20h30 for packages, i can't imagine doing it up to 21h. it worries me they will judge me on these performances and i won't get called (AO).
Feb 17, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
oakville
been reading the posts...and i really do feel with all changes...canada post if possible wants the letter carriers with top wage to quit so they can have the lower wage employee take there spot....geeze there are other ways to cut, instead of letter carriers,,why dont they start with management....also whats with all the supervisors in these small depots...example milton 3 supervisors for 9 routes..come on yes they have 2 waves...have one supervisor from 6am to 2pm and have one part time supervisor from 2 pm to 7 pm....or if they want to even save more money ..have all 9 routes on wave one and one supervisor...
im sure they can save money starting with supervisors and managers
May 28, 2016
216 posts
79 upvotes
Montreal, Que
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:08 pm
This one is not going to slide through easily.....

From cupw.ca:

Monday March 13 2017
2015-2019/232

On Friday, March 10th, we received notification from the corporation that they intend to implement a major restructure of delivery operations in the urban unit. The change would utilize night-routers to separate sortation from delivery. This could have many negative effects on our members and we are still analyzing the plan and its possible impacts.

Canada Post tried something similar in the 90’s. The plan was quickly scrapped after direct-actions on work floors across the country put pressure on management and implementation in the first few locations became unworkable.

The corporation has already failed in its duty to consult us about this change. We were informed of their decision without consultation and they began announcing this on the work floor shortly after sending us notification. This blatant disrespect for our members has become all too common from the current management at Canada Post.

What is perhaps even more disturbing is that Canada Post management would unilaterally announce a major change in delivery operations before the government has even made their decision about the future of Canada Post. Do they have advance knowledge of the government’s intentions? If not, how can they possibly be planning major changes to delivery operations? For now, we are left with more questions than answers.

This is a government that has told us that good labour relations is one of their top priorities. If this is the case, it would seem that nobody informed management at Canada Post.

In Solidarity,
Mike Palecek
National President
... Management has seen, in the last negotiations, that CUPW is ready, willing and able to toss us under the bus........so why are people shocked????

I wake up relatively happy every morning.
Then I interact with people and things begin to change very quickly.

:twisted:
Apr 30, 2015
591 posts
375 upvotes
York, ON
vegemite wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:21 pm
today i started at 9h45 and had no help to sort my case, literally left at 12h45. i managed to barely scan the BPcomms and my red box in time to bring back tot he dépôt by 18h15, then headed back to finish them. it was so dark and i kept the door of my ford transit open to illuminate me but i brought back maybe half a pan of sequenced mail once i finished the rest because i'm not about to take even LONGER than my dumbass does already to deliver xyz avenue door to door, plus i'm in this route all week, so it'll only affect me tmrw. i did all my scannables of course, but i was wondering how much we can push this ? my supervisor called a few times and was like 'well you can deliver until 21h' BYE girl what the hell, surely there is some leeway.. i also thought it was 20h for mail and 21h for packages. it already feels awkward to ring a doorbell at 20h30 for packages, i can't imagine doing it up to 21h. it worries me they will judge me on these performances and i won't get called (AO).
You can come back anytime you want after 8 hrs. Your supervisor might be a prick about it but **** em. Article 33, you were exhausted and felt unsafe to continue. Your decision, not theirs.
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
tarjet, thank you ! ! !

i'm on the verge of completing my 480h, so i guess i should suck it up until then ?although i did read in our convention that a grief COULD be done if they fire me even before, which is rare, but surely they won't fire me for excercing basic rights we have if i show i've honestly gave it my all ? i mean, they want their little AOs to come back the next day, right ? so they can fill their terrible routes.
Jan 5, 2014
147 posts
149 upvotes
Edmonton
Do not work longer than 8 hours. Period. Tell managenent you have put in your 8 hours and be done with it. Get your priorities, 1s done and your flyer section on days like that. Do not work in the dark it is unsafe. Tell them you feel unsafe...
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10314 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
vegemite wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 9:09 am
tarjet, thank you ! ! !

i'm on the verge of completing my 480h, so i guess i should suck it up until then ?although i did read in our convention that a grief COULD be done if they fire me even before, which is rare, but surely they won't fire me for excercing basic rights we have if i show i've honestly gave it my all ? i mean, they want their little AOs to come back the next day, right ? so they can fill their terrible routes.
What does AO stand for? I'm used to it meaning oversize mail.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 12, 2011
448 posts
203 upvotes
downtown TO
vegemite wrote:
tarjet, thank you ! ! !

I remember being 'paranoid' about doing anything wrong during my 480hr probation period. Rarely booked overtime, didn't make a fuss about anything, etc. I basically busted my ass and went above and beyond because I was fearful of getting canned.

Looking back, I should never have been worried. I see employees doing all sorts of things that could result in 'disciplinary actions', and none of them are even close to being fired. As long as you do your job safely and by the book, management can't (and shouldn't) bother you..
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10314 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
Girl came to our station yesterday, her second week at CP. She was put on a tricky walk ( 7am start) with lots of businesses. Came back very late with lots of mail.

Called in this morning to say she's quitting.

Such a terrible way to treat people.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 16, 2017
147 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:
tarjet, thank you ! ! !

Like tarjet and Slotstuffer said, don't work over 8hrs if you feel unsafe out there.
Even you're still in probationary period (under 480hrs), you have the right, you did your 8 hrs then you can go home.
If your supervisor complains, call shop steward or call your local union.
You pay the due as a union member and they have to help you for your right.

I know where you are and like fishscale4sale said, I was like that, too.
But I realized that it's just not worth it.