Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 16, 2017
143 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:54 pm
Girl came to our station yesterday, her second week at CP. She was put on a tricky walk ( 7am start) with lots of businesses. Came back very late with lots of mail.

Called in this morning to say she's quitting.

Such a terrible way to treat people.
Yeah, I mean I do understand her.
Especially with this weather, too...

Seriously, CP should really extend the training period for the new terms much longer.
Shadowing the LCs for some days then do half the work with them for maybe a week or so?
Then start working by yourself with just 2/3 or half of a walk?

I remember when I started, I thought 'I'm going to quit!' pretty much everyday!
Apr 30, 2015
577 posts
364 upvotes
York, ON
Staffing shouldn't be allowed to force people out on full walks in the first 2 weeks. I don't know how or why that is acceptable but it's completely stupid.
Jun 25, 2013
53 posts
10 upvotes
got a plaque today for my five years of service.........*slow clap*
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10287 posts
2027 upvotes
GTA
ahnaatjai wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:48 pm
got a plaque today for my five years of service.........*slow clap*
When I got mine, I was expecting some garish thing, but it's pretty decent.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 12, 2011
443 posts
201 upvotes
downtown TO
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 5:14 pm
Pretty decent? It's a picture frame with a big '5'. You'll receive the same thing at 10, 15, 20, 25, and then they'll be glad to see you go..
Oct 16, 2014
934 posts
575 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 5:14 pm
Lol. I would have been happier with an actual stamp. At least that could be used for something, instead of a cheap framed picture of a stamp that will leave the bottom of a drawer....
Oct 16, 2014
934 posts
575 upvotes
PtsuckS wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:19 pm
Just checked my mailbox at home and I find a big CP envelope. Inside, an info sheet on those Spring Canadian Tire catalogue/booklets (starting April 10th), along with CUPW memorandum and information on relay box requests due to overburdening, etc. CP really cares that much for our health and safety eh? :rolleyes: Whatever happened to the CTI...anybody remember that one?
Hah! Page one of the request for relay boxes states that the need will be determined by weight of a loop "not including the weight of neighbourhood mail". So essentially, here is 500 pounds of flyers to deliver. Here is a booklet explaining how we don't recognize that it is 500 pounds because, simply, we don't weigh flyers since it is to our benefit to pretend that they don't exist.... It is mind boggling how this company hates its own employees so much.

When I opened that package, all I really got out of it was......take the week of April 10th off, to take care of your health, since the union or the company won't. Thanks for heads up on the timing management!!!!
Jul 7, 2014
179 posts
94 upvotes
Burlington, ON
There should me monthly service awards for Terms.
The "Thank you for not quitting award"
In three years I've been thanked once by a supervisor
The service awards are not the best however a little support and a thank you good job can go a long way to boost any employees morale especially a new hire.

With contract negotiations getting underway all new hires and terms should be speaking up about the two-tier wage structure. RSMCs are not the only employees who are not being paid fairly.

For those who are not aware terms and new hires get paid a substantially lower wage than most other letter carriers hired a few years before them.
Even when you get hired on permanent you start at the minimum rate under appendix A. Your previous years do not count and you stay at the bottom until your anniversary date.
Terms never get a raise.
So if you were hired as a temp Feb 1 2013 and got permanent status Feb 1 2017 that gives you an 11 year climb to reach the top wage for LC according to appendix A.
Terms, recently hired employees and all employees should take the time to contact National and Local offices and demand a "contract amendment".
Appendix A should be amended to reflect your years of experience.
There is no reason your years of experience should not be reflected in your rate of pay.
fishscale4sale wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 5:25 pm
Pretty decent? It's a picture frame with a big '5'. You'll receive the same thing at 10, 15, 20, 25, and then they'll be glad to see you go..
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1703 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
When I talked to my union local rep who are in our depots a lot lately because of the upcoming elections they seem to say the same thing. Yea we gave up this and that but we saved the pension. I truly I'm amazed at people who work 35 years but what they gave up it is harder and harder for anyone to make it to 10, 20, 30 years. What did CP "give up" during the last CA. Sure our health spending is higher but we pay more. We got a 1.5% pay increase? Thanks union.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1328 posts
74 upvotes
richmondhill
wow 7 years or more to get to top rate..just crazy...I wonder if that is the same with supervisors or upper management to have to wait 7 years...wondering why Canada post is not letting go of supervisors or upper management when there at top rate..they can save some money there, there doing everywhere else, why not there as well
Pjtipps wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 7:08 pm
There should me monthly service awards for Terms.
The "Thank you for not quitting award"
In three years I've been thanked once by a supervisor
The service awards are not the best however a little support and a thank you good job can go a long way to boost any employees morale especially a new hire.

With contract negotiations getting underway all new hires and terms should be speaking up about the two-tier wage structure. RSMCs are not the only employees who are not being paid fairly.

For those who are not aware terms and new hires get paid a substantially lower wage than most other letter carriers hired a few years before them.
Even when you get hired on permanent you start at the minimum rate under appendix A. Your previous years do not count and you stay at the bottom until your anniversary date.
Terms never get a raise.
So if you were hired as a temp Feb 1 2013 and got permanent status Feb 1 2017 that gives you an 11 year climb to reach the top wage for LC according to appendix A.
Terms, recently hired employees and all employees should take the time to contact National and Local offices and demand a "contract amendment".
Appendix A should be amended to reflect your years of experience.
There is no reason your years of experience should not be reflected in your rate of pay.
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
thank you guys for all the replies. i fully understand the girl who quit at your dépôt. i'm affected at the shittiest dépôt i've gone to since starting working here. they watch me like a damn hawk and even brought me in for 'questioning' this morning when i had filled out my overtime sheet citing every damn reason why i was bringing mail back, but they couldn't bother reading that. today was the same but PLUS this major snow storm and those winds, goddamn. i couldn't see where the paths to the door were, stairs basically gone under the snow. i called in and said i didn't think i could finish.the same walk as last time. he told me to stay put and came to take pictures. my ford transit got stuck about every street corner too, and the supervisor was barely able to get it out either, then it got stuck in the yard and we 'had' to abandon it there. the ****. i can't imagine the bullshit they're going to give me tomorrow morning.

where can i read that the union can defend me even if i haven't completed my 480 hours ? if they can, what good is the 480 hours even for ? surely not just the chic uniform points. i'm going to call the union tomorrow to get the right time on this but i tried calling them before and never got a return call, so i don't think i'll get one before my 9h45 shift.

i believe AO might me 'aide option' or something like that, basically the new hires that are temps and you get a call from eclipse or the attatch port to send you to XYZ dépôt in the morning for the day or if lucky for a week at the same one. terms ? temps ? the fillers who get the shitty routes, after everyone's picked their OT doubling etc, basically Smiling Face With Sunglasses.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1703 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 9:08 pm
thank you guys for all the replies. i fully understand the girl who quit at your dépôt. i'm affected at the shittiest dépôt i've gone to since starting working here. they watch me like a damn hawk and even brought me in for 'questioning' this morning when i had filled out my overtime sheet citing every damn reason why i was bringing mail back, but they couldn't bother reading that. today was the same but PLUS this major snow storm and those winds, goddamn. i couldn't see where the paths to the door were, stairs basically gone under the snow. i called in and said i didn't think i could finish.the same walk as last time. he told me to stay put and came to take pictures. my ford transit got stuck about every street corner too, and the supervisor was barely able to get it out either, then it got stuck in the yard and we 'had' to abandon it there. the ****. i can't imagine the bullshit they're going to give me tomorrow morning.

where can i read that the union can defend me even if i haven't completed my 480 hours ? if they can, what good is the 480 hours even for ? surely not just the chic uniform points. i'm going to call the union tomorrow to get the right time on this but i tried calling them before and never got a return call, so i don't think i'll get one before my 9h45 shift.

i believe AO might me 'aide option' or something like that, basically the new hires that are temps and you get a call from eclipse or the attatch port to send you to XYZ dépôt in the morning for the day or if lucky for a week at the same one. terms ? temps ? the fillers who get the shitty routes, after everyone's picked their OT doubling etc, basically Smiling Face With Sunglasses.
You are absolutely entitled to union representation during your probation period. You pay union fees. When they interview you ask for union representation, your shop steward should sit with you to back you up and be with you during the interview. If not get your union local involved. If they are giving you that hard a time interviewing you don't sit there alone. Risking an injury for someone's mail isn't worth.

That's ridiculous that your supervisor came out to take pictures. When he looked out the window of your depot was it nice and sunny and he assumed you were lying that there was a snow storm only in your part of town? Would he be equally happy to fill out an injury on duty form.

BTW guys if you ever get injured stop what you are doing and call a supervisor. If you continue working there's no telling what excuse they might make to not give you injury compensation.
Jan 16, 2017
143 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:

vegemite, like it said above, just get a hold of shop steward and talk.
Do not go into an interview without them!
You pay the union fee, so the union has to help you!

We all went through this BS when we started (well I'm sure pretty much everyone, right?) so we know what it's like but you just need to stand up for yourself, basically.

But you sound like you can get through this, so keep up the good work, but don't hurt yourself!
Jul 7, 2014
179 posts
94 upvotes
Burlington, ON
They only pull this BS on new employees. If your personal safety is at risk you are well within your rights to stop delivering.
Always ensure you state your safety was at risk. Don't say I was tired or it was too dark . Must always be a safety issue .
Never ever ever go into an office to have a one on one or an interview or any other crap with a supervisor without a witness. If no union rep is available management can wait until you have proper union representation .
I always use a co-worker as a witness for anything that I think may cause concern when I need to speak with a supervisor
You may notice supervisors always have a witness to their actions especially when concerning disciplinary measures. They need protection and so do you.
vegemite wrote:

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1841 posts
313 upvotes
Can someone verify if we can currently claim OT for collating flyers for the next day after our shift? All the supervisors in our depot are denying this and either are saying that this will come next year or that you have to meet these conditions:
-tell your supervisor beforehand
-have to have at least 8 flyers
-be already in OT once you start collating
Is there any truth to this and can anyone point me to the appropriate article in the collective agreement? Today I was collating 14 sets of flyers for tomorrow and spent 1.5hrs OT doing so without getting paid. And that was just my apartments. I still need to collate for houses tomorrow.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)