Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1711 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Talk to your shop steward Thrasher, as I recall it is 3 or 4+ flyers, you have to inform your supervisor before you start collating. You inform them if you are already on over time or the collating will take you into over time.

I have the notice in my case and not with me atm.
Oct 16, 2014
964 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
Thrasher wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:31 pm
Can someone verify if we can currently claim OT for collating flyers for the next day after our shift? All the supervisors in our depot are denying this and either are saying that this will come next year or that you have to meet these conditions:
-tell your supervisor beforehand
-have to have at least 8 flyers
-be already in OT once you start collating
Is there any truth to this and can anyone point me to the appropriate article in the collective agreement? Today I was collating 14 sets of flyers for tomorrow and spent 1.5hrs OT doing so without getting paid. And that was just my apartments. I still need to collate for houses tomorrow.
The O/T for after shift collating started a long time ago !!! I would call the union office right away. I believe that the union actually asked us to report if the denying of O/T was happening....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 30, 2015
603 posts
380 upvotes
York, ON
Thrasher wrote:
Can someone verify if we can currently claim OT for collating flyers for the next day after our shift? All the supervisors in our depot are denying this and either are saying that this will come next year or that you have to meet these conditions:
Is there any truth to this and can anyone point me to the appropriate article in the collective agreement? Today I was collating 14 sets of flyers for tomorrow and spent 1.5hrs OT doing so without getting paid. And that was just my apartments. I still need to collate for houses tomorrow.
http://extranet.canadapost.ca/html/sbn/ ... mail-e.pdf
http://www.cupw.ca/en/prepartion-unaddressed-admail

Contact your local cause thats all bs

Telling your supervisor in the morning that you're going to be into overtime that day is should be enough. At that point it's in their hands they can either get you help (lol) or they'll say ok and that's all that's needed for a grievance if it's denied later.
May 21, 2013
686 posts
245 upvotes
Montreal
today on the island of Montreal obviously you guys have seen that we were hit pretty hard with snow. Now typically in the past, when we don't go out, you're paid for the entire day and you prep your things for tomorrow.
o
Management up top decided, they wanted us to prep our things, but make us stay the entire day at the office to be paid. Otherwise we could leave and it would be taken out of our personal days... Good showing of solidarity, we stood together and said if that's the case, everyone is not here tomorrow and Friday good luck with that. Management changed their mind and we were paid for the entire day.
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
ksimms3, i'm also in montréal. they made us wait sround forever until we got our séquencé, then we had to wait until the case was free to sort and tie out. if we had red boxes to do, we had to go do them, and shit out of luck if your box was one to do after 17h because they wouldn't allow you to go back home. if we felt 'unsafe' leaving yeah, personal day. what a **** joke. luckily mine was fine, but i'm pretty sure i pissed them off by claiming my overtime the last two days so they harpooned me into doing the commis (clerk ?) job at the little packages. luckily my delegate was there and let them know i couldn't look up at the board and only sorted the scannables, not the little chinese.

apparently it's all of québec : 'In light of the severe weather conditions across the entire province of Quebec, it is not safe to send our delivery agents to deliver mail today. Delivery will resume once conditions improve and it is safe to do so.'
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10362 posts
2064 upvotes
GTA
Thrasher wrote:
I have been paid for collating ( just once). Stupidvisors have a chart that tells them how much time to give you, broken down by POCs and number of sets. IIRC I was given 7.5 mins ( wtf?) for collating 4 sets for 200 units of a walkthrough. Definitely not enough time but whatever.

Collate your flyers in the morning, then complete your 8hrs and come back with mail. If they want to make these walks so bloody long and overload us with flyers, then they can pay for it.

First thing tomorrow get a grievance form from your shop steward. We have to stand up to these $#@!^.

We don't work for free !!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 6:38 pm
I have been paid for collating ( just once). Stupidvisors have a chart that tells them how much time to give you, broken down by POCs and number of sets. IIRC I was given 7.5 mins ( wtf?) for collating 4 sets for 200 units of a walkthrough. Definitely not enough time but whatever.

Collate your flyers in the morning, then complete your 8hrs and come back with mail. If they want to make these walks so bloody long and overload us with flyers, then they can pay for it.

First thing tomorrow get a grievance form from your shop steward. We have to stand up to these $#@!^.

7.5 minutes ? where do these numbers come from ? the route i do is over evaluated by a few minutes but doesn't keep me from consistently being over for HOURS. i know they're pissed about their bonus and now i have to reel it in because i snapped back a little today, but this just keeps devolving into the biggest shitty management. i believe i can change dépôts after the month is up and then am locked into one for a year. i rather change than stay in this abrasive place.
Apr 30, 2015
603 posts
380 upvotes
York, ON
Hugh Jass wrote:

I'm gonna be honest, I've never came back and been like "hey sup, gonna collate for an hour on ot!!"

I just do it and ask for the sheet when I'm done. Write down everything that put me into OT including how many sets of flyers to collate. I've never had a problem with it.

Time work is time paid, period. They can interview you about not following proper procedures but they can't withhold the money. I HAVE been threatened with suspensions and interviews for taking overtime before, but that's all they were, empty threats to try and scare me into not taking the time.

Classic supervisors playbook at the end of the day is make you feel guilty or uncomfortable asking for the overtime sheet. It's a sleaze ball move only used by the greasiest supervisors.
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
are we supposed to collate at the end of our shift !? i've rarely finished within times and only once did they ask me to prepare stuff for the next day but i was 7 walking hours into a tough route (imo) and i was like, i'd really rather not, and left. i suppose it makes sense. i do see some people when i come back doing the ads.

i wish they would tell us this shit. i'm relief at the same depot next week and i'm in the dumps.
Oct 16, 2014
964 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
vegemite wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:18 pm
are we supposed to collate at the end of our shift !? i've rarely finished within times and only once did they ask me to prepare stuff for the next day but i was 7 walking hours into a tough route (imo) and i was like, i'd really rather not, and left. i suppose it makes sense. i do see some people when i come back doing the ads.

i wish they would tell us this shit. i'm relief at the same depot next week and i'm in the dumps.
You are not "supposed to", but it is now an OPTION that you are allowed to do. Many people that are on the same route the next day use this option. Imagine in the winter.... you go into work in the morning and the flyers are ready to go. You can now get out quicker, have more time to deliver in the DAYLIGHT, and you can once again work on the flyers when you are back, when it is now dark out. Kind of makes sense if you have trouble getting your route done.
Oct 16, 2014
964 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
Hugh Jass wrote:
I don't know about this either. I don't believe that there is a formula in place as to how much you can claim for doing flyers. 7.5 minutes doesn't even pay you for the time to collect them, scan them and organize them (cut straps off etc.). I think that the union brass would be very interested in hearing about that as well.... Can you imagine how much this company could save if they actually treated us like human beings, instead of being *%&'s about everything, and then having to fight every stupid thing they do in front of an arbitrator?
Oct 16, 2014
964 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
vegemite wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:18 pm

I believe that when this started, the union in our depot handed out leaflets explaining the change and the right to do it... You may have started after that happened, or maybe they didn't come to your depot to do the same. Management sure as heck isn't going to tell you. Welcome to Canada Post. A top 100 employer....a decade ago.....
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:27 pm
You are not "supposed to", but it is now an OPTION that you are allowed to do. Many people that are on the same route the next day use this option. Imagine in the winter.... you go into work in the morning and the flyers are ready to go. You can now get out quicker, have more time to deliver in the DAYLIGHT, and you can once again work on the flyers when you are back, when it is now dark out. Kind of makes sense if you have trouble getting your route done.
makes a lot of sense. thank you.

i'm going to try and breath for tmrw delivering 2 days of mail and two thirds of flyers plus what i brought back on tuesday. it is what.. it is..
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1711 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Book your overtime. Do a pre departure and request over time before you leave the depot, if you are planning to do over time.

If you are doing 8 hours try to get your admail done and your scannables. Best of luck don't get hurt.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1847 posts
316 upvotes
Thanks guys for all your input on overtime and collating flyers. It seems like the supervisors are all trying to pull a fast one on us and today was the 4th supervisor that told me we are not paid for collating flyers into our OT. I insisted it is in the contract and she told me to give her the OT sheet that she will talk to the "higher" guy, I guess the superintendent. It's a shame because my depot has one of the best supervisors in the city. Someone said that a time worked is a time paid, which I 100% agree. That was one thing I could not fathom once I started, I have never seen or heard of this in any job - you collate flyers often for hours on your OWN time after the shift - makes no sense. Now with the new contract it is how it should be. I mean, I know we are paid to deliver these, but I would rather get paid zero per piece and get properly paid overtime for collating, because I have spent countless hours working for free and now I'm fed up. I am relief and I try to do a good job on my route so I often go over 8 hours, but it doesn't even seem to be appreciated from the supervisors. I mean, I could do a crappy job as other LC's and risk suspension or I could be constantly be bringing mail back, but I hate re-sorting on the next day. Just like someone said, everything would be so much easier if they treated us as human beings.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

airmail, biggerthanfun