Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1847 posts
316 upvotes
vegemite wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:18 pm
are we supposed to collate at the end of our shift !? i've rarely finished within times and only once did they ask me to prepare stuff for the next day but i was 7 walking hours into a tough route (imo) and i was like, i'd really rather not, and left. i suppose it makes sense. i do see some people when i come back doing the ads.

i wish they would tell us this shit. i'm relief at the same depot next week and i'm in the dumps.
I keep hearing different stuff. If you collate in the morning before leaving for your route, how can they deny you OT? When I first started I was like you, came back exhausted after 9-10 hours, last thing I wanted was collating for another hour. Hang in there, it will get better. You just gotta figure it out. The supervisors won't tell you to collate in the evening as they don't care. I wish once in a while some of them would actually help us with collating as they often are just behind their computers pretending to be busy, but I have yet to see this. Once I had a supervisor tell me I should collate after my shift (this was with the old contract) which is also not true, especially if you are over your 8 hours. I mean, you can do it and if it takes you into OT, by all means claim OT quoting Appendix D of the collective agreement. Otherwise, as said before try to do what you can in 8 hours, deliver your admail and PCI's and if you run out of time and do not want to go into OT, just bring the rest of the mail back. Most likely you will have to resort the next day, but at least you finished what is most important.
Oct 16, 2014
964 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
The following was the letter posted by the union on the subject....

Prepartion Of Unaddressed Admail
Share This
Tuesday December 13 2016
2015-2019/214
No 88
As of December 9, 2016 the Urban Operations Collective Agreement will be in full force and effect. One of the key changes that we need to be aware of is the preparation of unaddressed admail at the end of the day and how this impacts a letter carrier’s workday.

New Language
The new language in Appendix “D” of the Collective Agreement that expires on January 31, 2018 is:

*“new 2) d) The preparation of neighbourhood mail by letter carriers will be performed at the end of the day. Consequently, time will be credited at the end of the route under the Letter Carrier Route Measurement System (“LCRMS”) for routes structured to return to the depot at the end of the day.”

Exceptions to the end of the day preparation of neighbourhood mail may occur during the normal course of the work day. However, when the morning procedure aimed at evaluating the need for overtime is followed, the fact that overtime occurs at the end of the day will not be considered an exception.”

What Does This Change Mean?
Letter carriers will now have the ability to prepare their unaddressed admail (neighbourhood mail) at the end of their work day if their route is structured to return to the depot at the end of the day. The majority of letter carrier routes are structured to return to the depot at the end of the day. The preparation of unaddressed admail includes collating the mailings if you have (3) three or more sets to deliver the following day. This includes collating for all point of call (POC) types; door to door or centralized delivery (CMBs, panels and apartments). Letter carriers will have the option as to whether or not they choose to collate their unaddressed admail.

If you choose to prepare your unaddressed admail at the end of your day and you are into overtime, you will be paid overtime for doing this work, if you follow the morning procedure aimed at evaluating the need for overtime. This means notifying your supervisor in the morning that you think that you will be into overtime by the end of your day due to, for example, heavy mail and/or parcel volumes, an over-assessed route, an improperly assessed route or an anticipated heavy volume of unaddressed admail. If something unexpected occurs during your day that may cause you to go into overtime and you did not advise your supervisor in the morning that you may be into overtime, notify your supervisor as soon as possible. Letter carriers working on part-time routes will also be paid for the preparation of unaddressed admail either with extended hours up to 8 hours and overtime if you work beyond 8 hours.

If you follow the processes noted above and you are denied overtime for the preparation of unaddressed admail, please contact your shop steward, local union office or regional office for advice. If this cannot be resolved through discussions at the local level, then it will be necessary to file a grievance to ensure that you are paid the overtime that you are entitled to.

Stand Up For Our Rights!
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10362 posts
2064 upvotes
GTA
Thrasher wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:38 pm
I keep hearing different stuff. If you collate in the morning before leaving for your route, how can they deny you OT? When I first started I was like you, came back exhausted after 9-10 hours, last thing I wanted was collating for another hour. Hang in there, it will get better. You just gotta figure it out. The supervisors won't tell you to collate in the evening as they don't care. I wish once in a while some of them would actually help us with collating as they often are just behind their computers pretending to be busy, but I have yet to see this.
Coz it's not allowed. That would be taking OT from a cupw member, they can't do our work. Period.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:17 am
Coz it's not allowed. That would be taking OT from a cupw member, they can't do our work. Period.
def. yesterday they asked me to do clerk / P04 work after sorting my route (we weren't going out) and the bunk clerk will apparently be able to claim the time they made us do as it took from his job (even if he doesn't sort small packets usually, i think it was his time to extension).
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
da_way wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:03 pm
vegemite are you still alive?
if anything is going to kill me, it won't be canada post !! i finished about the same i had finished on other days, but i started with the POC i had missed monday and tuesday. they cut the route and gave most the CMBs to an even newer guy than me and so when i saw him on the road i decided to pull over and ask how he was doing and he was fully breaking down over not finding them, the tie outs and sequenced mail etc. came back at the dépôt around 20h45. i no longer feel stressed that they'll give me shit. they fully knew how this route was hard, i was told it's over evaluated and the guy constantly does overtime. how did they expect me to magically finish a route i couldn't earlier in the week but now with 2 days worth of mail !! it'S a relief to see that other LCs don't freak out over me bringing back mail like i thought everyone would. i'd said i called the union yesterday and they got back to me within 24h (lol) but i was on the road and missed the call.

i got mail from the STTP (CUPW or something, the union) today asking us to call our deputy RE how much we love our mail. i'll do it but i must say i read things very diagonally when i come back from 11h days.
Jan 16, 2017
154 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:44 pm
if anything is going to kill me, it won't be canada post !! i finished about the same i had finished on other days, but i started with the POC i had missed monday and tuesday. they cut the route and gave most the CMBs to an even newer guy than me and so when i saw him on the road i decided to pull over and ask how he was doing and he was fully breaking down over not finding them, the tie outs and sequenced mail etc. came back at the dépôt around 20h45. i no longer feel stressed that they'll give me shit. they fully knew how this route was hard, i was told it's over evaluated and the guy constantly does overtime. how did they expect me to magically finish a route i couldn't earlier in the week but now with 2 days worth of mail !! it'S a relief to see that other LCs don't freak out over me bringing back mail like i thought everyone would. i'd said i called the union yesterday and they got back to me within 24h (lol) but i was on the road and missed the call.

i got mail from the STTP (CUPW or something, the union) today asking us to call our deputy RE how much we love our mail. i'll do it but i must say i read things very diagonally when i come back from 11h days.
Glad to hear you are no longer stressed out!
Keep up the good work, vegemite!

Don't worry about bringing mail back.
Most walks are over-assessed, walk owners can finish early because they're more experienced as LC also with the particular walk.
It's hard for any new LCs to do a new walk.

Btw, love your name.
Are you from Australia??
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1711 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Here's another tip vegemite, you can check your edit book and on the 3rd page or something, it tells you what the route is evaluated at. A eight hour route is 480, but take note of how much time it is over evaluated by. Let's say it is 30 minutes over evaluated, you should get paid over assessed route on your pay cheque. It will be in this example 30 minutes for every day you worked on the route and you get paid at your normal 19.xx rate in addition to your eight hours regardless over time or not. Don't let them screw you out of that pay as well.
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
mtl born and raised but have spent some time in aus ! and i LOVE vegemite !

thank you guys, you def have helped me out tons. da_way, do i find the edit book on the ledge somewhere ? how would it appear on my pay stub ?

edit also wondering, but also i will be assuming this +$ thing is only when you get out the route by yourself ? surely if they split my route it's simply not 480. i'm pretty sure i have done a few over-evaluated routes before whole though and i am def going to check this out.
Jan 16, 2017
154 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:13 pm
mtl born and raised but have spent some time in aus ! and i LOVE vegemite !
I've been there a couple of weeks around Gold Coast.

Vegemite isn't for everybody's taste and most of my friends couldn't take it but I kinda liked it, too!

Anyway, talk to some other LCs, especially FT relief LCs, they do know lots of walks in your station and if you ask, most of them gladly trying to help you.

One more day to go and weekend!
Apr 20, 2013
218 posts
89 upvotes
Thrasher wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:38 pm
Hang in there, it will get better. You just gotta figure it out.
Seriously, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard (and SAID) this, my paycheque would be much larger. ;P
Jan 16, 2017
154 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
digression wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:52 pm
Seriously, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard (and SAID) this, my paycheque would be much larger. ;P
Ha ha, so true!

But it does get better.
It's nice to see (or read here in this case) any new terms doing well, not defeated by management's BS.

I mean we all had to go through this so as if you're looking at you back when you started!
So naturallyb you want to him\her succeed!
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
:).

i just find it weird that i was doing fine in other dépôts but this one is just a shitshow. to be fair, i rather climb 200+ storeys and have volume go out than walk vitam eternam between bungalows..

can't always get what you waa-aa-nt !
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1847 posts
316 upvotes
digression wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:52 pm
It does get better, then it gets worse, then better again, then horrible, then good.... etc. Until you have 20+ years of seniority and are able to pick a good route. But by that time all the routes will be horrible, I bet. The best routes will be 1500 POC with 200 scannables, 50-60 signatures on Mondays. :-)

I mean, yesterday I saw a wave 2 guy (10:00AM start) that was back in the depot at 2:15PM. The supervisors will continue to add more and more stuff to our routes to make them longer since some guys are able to finish their routes in 4 hours....
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
Thrasher wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:12 pm
It does get better, then it gets worse, then better again, then horrible, then good.... etc. Until you have 20+ years of seniority and are able to pick a good route. But by that time all the routes will be horrible, I bet. The best routes will be 1500 POC with 200 scannables, 50-60 signatures on Mondays. :-)

I mean, yesterday I saw a wave 2 guy (10:00AM start) that was back in the depot at 2:15PM. The supervisors will continue to add more and more stuff to our routes to make them longer since some guys are able to finish their routes in 4 hours....
i've also been sorting (wave 2) past 14h (help i am dying) and have seen people come back but def from wave 1. i hear a lot of people complaining about getting asked to double bc they come back early but they don't take their breaks. jesus christ, that's just the basics of every job. don't give the employer that much leeway, not even 30 minutes.

i'm glad i'm a week in wave 1, traditional post, next week. i seem to do better with the grey boxes, plus i have more sunlight to use !

we got a letter from the union saying they were going to contest the split of 5 lists for OLL mtl into 27.

was waiting to get your own route so long 'back in the day' ? it seems kind of insane. i am going to assume and hope the job, even as relief in new routes all the time, does come easier with time/exp.. perhaps some sort of canada post intuition takes over ? my delegate said they really ride people because they only want to keep the very best 6'2 super fast walkers etc around, so we have to tough it out. the 'chef' or whatever, above the supervisors guy, came and threw me a whole lot of shade on friday. apart from his number crunching ass, i get it, blah blah, if i work 10h days it does give me hours but also it would be cool to be back home to eat supper etc. apparently there is a life outside CP ?!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

airmail, biggerthanfun