Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Apr 30, 2015
557 posts
347 upvotes
York, ON
I found as a term, I was more motivated to work faster. I guess because I was relief most of the time, and you just don't know how long that route should take, or how much mail you have most of the time compared to the average, and it just overwhelmed me most of the time and made me work faster.

Now with my own route, I know how much is average, how much more is going to put me into overtime, how much is going to let me finish early, and I pace myself accordingly. It's way less stressful.

You know people kept telling me it gets better, and I guess in some ways it does, but it's still a crap job. When you get enough term seniority right before you're hired, you can get some really good assignments. But that all goes away when you're hired. Then you're back at the bottom again. And seniority takes much longer to get as a permenant employee. The only things I can say that are really an improvement for me now as a permanent employee are the benefits, pension, and full coverage from the collective agreement. My paycheck is smaller, my walk is much worse, it's harder to plan absenses and take time off, and it's far more difficult to win bids.
Feb 16, 2013
187 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
We don't get packages delivered. We get package notices that teleport in silently to the front door...
May 21, 2013
661 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
cowbunpants wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:11 am
We don't get packages delivered. We get package notices that teleport in silently to the front door...
There's various reasons why this could happen. You don't want to know how many times I knock on the door, see someone inside and they refuse to answer the door.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10242 posts
2006 upvotes
GTA
tarjet wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:58 pm

You know people kept telling me it gets better, and I guess in some ways it does, but it's still a crap job. When you get enough term seniority right before you're hired, you can get some really good assignments. But that all goes away when you're hired. Then you're back at the bottom again. And seniority takes much longer to get as a permenant employee. The only things I can say that are really an improvement for me now as a permanent employee are the benefits, pension, and full coverage from the collective agreement. My paycheck is smaller, my walk is much worse, it's harder to plan absenses and take time off, and it's far more difficult to win bids.
I had a great time as a term once I got through the first month or so. When I got in the top 20 in GTA west, I could pretty much pick where I wanted to go and the majority of my time was pre-PT, so even bad walks were done by lunchtime.

Then, like you said, I got part time and was stuck doing afternoon bs. Then full time I bid on everything and only got relief at a crappy station, took a few months to get out of there. The paycheque reduction was worse than I thought, over $220 less every two weeks, but it's for the best.

I couldn't do this job for $19.xx an hour. No way.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
tarjet wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:58 pm
I found as a term, I was more motivated to work faster. I guess because I was relief most of the time, and you just don't know how long that route should take, or how much mail you have most of the time compared to the average, and it just overwhelmed me most of the time and made me work faster.

Now with my own route, I know how much is average, how much more is going to put me into overtime, how much is going to let me finish early, and I pace myself accordingly. It's way less stressful.

why does it go away ? because you're competing with people with a lot more seniority ? when you say 'hired,' do you mean after 480h or when you get your own route ?
Jan 16, 2017
116 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:28 am
why does it go away ? because you're competing with people with a lot more seniority ? when you say 'hired,' do you mean after 480h or when you get your own route ?
He meant hired as permanent, like you're no longer a term, either hired part time or full time with pension and benefits.

You're pretty much going back to a different pool to start all over once you bacome a permanent.

And same as being a term, senority is everything so now you're the bottom of all the permanent workers.
May 21, 2013
661 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
Just got a letter in the mail to go harass my local MP about Canada Post.

STFU Mike
Mar 24, 2016
166 posts
72 upvotes
scarborough
ksimms3 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:17 am

STFU Mike
what are we going to bug him/her for. I did not receive the letter
May 21, 2013
661 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
explorer11 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:27 am
what are we going to bug him/her for. I did not receive the letter
it's just a random letter saying contact your local MP about the future of Canada Post.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1684 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Come on brothers and sisters. In solidarity!
Oct 16, 2014
907 posts
558 upvotes
ksimms3 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:43 am
There's various reasons why this could happen. You don't want to know how many times I knock on the door, see someone inside and they refuse to answer the door.
Remember, don't feed the trolls !!!!!Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Mar 14, 2015
193 posts
117 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:23 am
I had a great time as a term once I got through the first month or so. When I got in the top 20 in GTA west, I could pretty much pick where I wanted to go and the majority of my time was pre-PT, so even bad walks were done by lunchtime.

Then, like you said, I got part time and was stuck doing afternoon bs. Then full time I bid on everything and only got relief at a crappy station, took a few months to get out of there. The paycheque reduction was worse than I thought, over $220 less every two weeks, but it's for the best.

The great shame is that there are jobs that pay a lot less, with treatment that is just as bad. The reason a lot of people stay is that there is almost nothing else, and the good jobs are out of reach. Pathetic.
May 2, 2012
544 posts
191 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ksimms3 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:17 am

STFU Mike
Why, you don't think engaging your MP in discussion over their views of your employer would be helpful?
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:23 am
i think we get a pay increase after the 480h but i would be lying to say i don't want to quit several times a day. i'm vaguely anxious to go back to work tomorrow but you gotta do what you gotta do what you gotta do.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1684 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
There's no pay increase after probation. You get nothing in addition until you get hired to a permanent position.