[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10179 posts
1969 upvotes
Oakville
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:54 pm
Sooooooooo, now that most of us have had the new pdt's for a while, what are your thoughts. Despite being told that they were much more trustworthy than the early ones, I can tell you that I now had to reboot mine for the last 5 days straight. I do like so of the new "processes" and the overall speed at which they boot up, and process things, but God damn, the stability still SUCKS!!!!!!
Mixed feelings, just like you. I miss some things from the old PDTs ( being able to whack the screen with a pen, the little jingle when you locked the unit and one or two scanning things) but if given the choice, I'd still take todays ones. I love the speed they let you log out and leave ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 4, 2016
42 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yeah the stability is crap. Battery dies on me once in a while depending on the amount of scanning. The dock for my pdt might be broken, sometimes it doesn't charge. Sometimes the pdt doesnt catch the signature and I have to ask the customer to re-sign cause it just disappeared for some reason even though I saw them sign it. Crashed on me a few times after scanning a barcode. Annoying how easily the pdt goes to the home page (where you select cp, calculator etc). Lastly, frustrating if barcode scanner glass gets wet, can't scan squat. Though I had minimal experience using the old pdts.
Sooooooooo, now that most of us have had the new pdt's for a while, what are your thoughts. Despite being told that they were much more trustworthy than the early ones, I can tell you that I now had to reboot mine for the last 5 days straight. I do like so of the new "processes" and the overall speed at which they boot up, and process things, but God damn, the stability still SUCKS!!!!!!
Jan 16, 2017
82 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, like everyone said, mixed feelings but I def. take the newer one.

The funny thing is, one day, it acted so funny but I accidentally dropped it, then boom! it just started working totally fineFace With Tears Of Joy
Apr 20, 2013
200 posts
84 upvotes
vegemite wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 1:19 pm
what a gloriously small day today was.
Not for me, or for anyone in my depot. Way more *everything* than yesterday.

Maybe tomorrow will be our small day? :)
Apr 20, 2013
200 posts
84 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 10:09 pm
the little jingle when you locked the unit
Reading that made me hear the jingle in my head. :)

That being said, I do think the new ones are much better. The ability to easily card multiple items at once is really good. I recently covered a CMB route for 2 months, and being able to scan the CMB and then switch to parcel scanning is a breeze compared to the old way!

Only major downside I've experienced so far is that the unlock button is way too small - can't unlock it with any any gloves on above dollar-store variety. In the freezing cold, I am NOT taking my glove off every single time I have to scan, so I really hope they fix this before next winter.
Mar 11, 2016
46 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
The very first day I used my new scanner, the battery died on me...black screen. Had to drive back to the depot and ask a Sup to fix this POS.
The battery % in the corner is a joke...way too tiny to read.
Don't like the tiny power on button and the screen shut off time is way to quick. I wish we could wake it up by pressing one of the side buttons instead.
I also don't like the fact there is no sound for whenever an on demand p/u shows up (or is there one?). Last week, I had to break off route because I only had 20 minutes before a business closed. The only reason I knew this is because when I went to scan my last parcel for the day, the on demand pop-up was on covering my screen. :facepalm: The old ones had a sound for this...

The new ones do boot up quick, I give them that but I personally liked the older ones better, provided I had a spare battery always.
Oct 16, 2014
886 posts
546 upvotes
Don't like the tiny power on button and the screen shut off time is way to quick. I wish we could wake it up by pressing one of the side buttons instead.
A couple of you have mentioned the power on button. The big side button does turn them on. Does this feature not work for you? I know it was an "upgrade" from the first batch of pdt's that came out, but did you not get a software update? Maybe bring this up to your superintendant, to get that upgraded.... However, in CP's infinite wisdom, they made it wake up with the big button, but then you still have to relock it with the tiny one that you can't actually hit. :facepalm: Stupidity runs supreme at this company.......

You can also change the time of the screen shut off time. I think you hold the left button until the screen shows up for that option, can't really remember, but it definitely came up in the training class.
Apr 12, 2011
416 posts
185 upvotes
downtown TO
My new PDT freezes 1-3 times a day...
I have to hold the buttons W, C, and power to reboot it and then log back in. It's very annoying.
The build quality does not seem as good as the older PDTs.
May 21, 2013
646 posts
227 upvotes
Montreal
so far I haven't had big issues with my new PDT, the battery life and charging has been a issue. One thing that I don't like is there is no sync function or I haven't found it yet lol, you scan a few items, clear them and it takes forever to go away.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15735 posts
530 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
I actually forgot about the old pdt lock jingle until it was mentioned.

New pdt for sure, they just need to work on that unlock button and move it to a big side button or something.

Battery life is good, no need to carry a spare battery.

Only gripe is the log in screen, maybe 3 times it loaded super fast for me, otherwise I have to wait a few minutes to get past the login screen the first time.

Also the OFD scan delays when you have to scan multiple items but it doesn't bother me anymore.

As for freezing or pdt errors, I only ever had to restart mine maybe max 3 times since we went live weeks/months ago.

I didn't know about the W C Power button thing I just pulled the battery.

+1 for a sync button, the old pdts I kept spamming the sync cell thing every chance I could
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Oct 25, 2016
48 posts
8 upvotes
montréal
i prefer the new ones too but that on button really is way too tiny. i'll have to check out tomorrow if the side thing works on ours. i also often have 1 item left before i do my end of day, and then it says 'congrats' or whatever once done. i only worked breifly with the old ones though.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1306 posts
70 upvotes
mississauga
when we had walking routes,,used to be 5-6 hours
and now that converted to cmbs, those silver boxes 8 hours and working through break,,so basically nine hours if take breaks,, we lost half the routes due to restructure for those cmbs plus they had the restructure in the summer when the mail is light..plus lots of other fudging of numbers example,,4 minutes at a rpo to clear..good lu ck try 20 minutes...would love to see there numbers when it comes to parcels,,,way off I bet....
wo112233 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 2:59 am
How many hours a day do you work for Canada Post
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2488 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dcjcdc wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:51 pm
and now that converted to cmbs, those silver boxes 8 hours and working through break,,so basically nine hours if take breaks,, we lost half the routes due to restructure for those cmbs plus they had the restructure in the summer when the mail is light..plus lots of other fudging of numbers example,,4 minutes at a rpo to clear..good lu ck try 20 minutes...would love to see there numbers when it comes to parcels,,,way off I bet....
My brother in law was a postie in the "good" days. He retired 5 years ago (age 55 and had 35 years in) and is glad he did. He used to be done his shifts very early in the day (like what you are describing). I think that changed sometime before he retired. One thing I noticed is he has packed on some weight since he's not walking his route anymore lol.
Oct 25, 2016
48 posts
8 upvotes
montréal
dcjcdc wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:51 pm
what are RPOs ? are you guys all motorised ? man, most routes i get are all by foot !! i have heard mtl area is a bit diff. maybe two of my routes, since starting, had CMBs, including one that was ALL CMBs when i agreed to go relief for **** laval ouest but got sent to montery.

RE hours.. if you're new, prepare yourself to cry at the bottom of some stairs or perhaps more cleverly in the inside of an apartment building at several points. they don't make it easy.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel