Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10220 posts
1995 upvotes
GTA
1971husky wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 6:56 pm
Hello all,

Any tips and/or advice for a new On Call RSMC?
Find a different job.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 14, 2015
190 posts
117 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:14 pm
Find a different job.
The above message applies to new members of the Urban unit, too.
Aug 28, 2010
8 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the heads up but
any chance you can give me more than 'find a different job' ?
May 21, 2013
652 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
1971husky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 6:27 am
With your foot in the door already, I would try to look around at supervisor jobs opening up. Becoming permanent at Canada Post is a grueling process.
Nov 4, 2011
8 posts
MARKHAM
Hi All

I have a few questions about working at Canada post.

I applied to Letter Carrier (Delivery Agent) - On-call and got an interview.

1. How many hours can you expect to work per week.
2. How hard is it to make full time hours

thank you!!
Apr 30, 2015
549 posts
340 upvotes
York, ON
Lucky for you there's over a thousand pages of answers to those very questions!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10220 posts
1995 upvotes
GTA
1971husky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 6:27 am
Sorry, couldn't resist. Not much chat here about the work RSMCs do. But it's so similar, a lot of the same advice should apply. It's all about organization. Watch what the senior people do and learn from them and don't be afraid to ask questions, in my experience people like to help.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10220 posts
1995 upvotes
GTA
babonk2 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:20 pm
Hi All

I have a few questions about working at Canada post.

I applied to Letter Carrier (Delivery Agent) - On-call and got an interview.

1. How many hours can you expect to work per week.
2. How hard is it to make full time hours
Depends on what's happening in your zone. The longer you're employed, the greater the chances you have of getting work. Hard to say how many hours a week you work but let's say you're put on a route for a week, technically you should be doing 5x8hrs but rookies ( and some non rookies ;) ) have a hard time completing routes on time, so put in a lot of overtime. Remember this: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORK MORE THAN 8HRS, but you can if you like and it pays time and a half your hourly rate for the first two hours over your 8hrs and double time after that.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 14, 2015
190 posts
117 upvotes
The Canada Labour Code does specify up to 48 hrs, though, no??
Oct 16, 2014
892 posts
552 upvotes
bigbluesky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:47 pm
The Canada Labour Code does specify up to 48 hrs, though, no??
We go by a negotiated contract, which is much better than pretty much everything in the labour code...
Oct 25, 2016
58 posts
14 upvotes
montréal
it's important to note that if you don't complete your route in the alloted 8hs and have to do overtime, your supervisors won't be happy and put pressure on you. if you work your 8 hours and bring back mail, your supervisors won't be happy and put pressure on you. :).
Jan 16, 2017
106 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
vegemite wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 8:16 am
it's important to note that if you don't complete your route in the alloted 8hs and have to do overtime, your supervisors won't be happy and put pressure on you. if you work your 8 hours and bring back mail, your supervisors won't be happy and put pressure on you. :).
Haha, making some (and most) of the supervisors happy is impossible!
Not that I try to make them happy though, that's not my job Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm doing this for myself and my family and customers, not the management who doen't give a sh!t about me!
Feb 17, 2017
15 posts
1 upvote
oakville
why do you say supervisor jobs opening up,,if anything i see them downsizing and getting rid of supervisors,,,i have my own company where i distribute flyers to canada post and i can tell you these depots have too many supervisors, most just go outside for a smoke..example milton post office..deliver flyers there and they have like 10 routes and do you really need 3 supervisors....make it simple one supervisor from 6 to 2 and a parttime supervisor from 2 to 7... or even make it better..just have one shift and one supervisor...you woulnt believe the countless smokes i see from these supervisors...get rid of a few ...and with the bigger depots even worse....and these supervisors are extremely rude
ksimms3 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:28 am
With your foot in the door already, I would try to look around at supervisor jobs opening up. Becoming permanent at Canada Post is a grueling process.
May 21, 2013
652 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
Ontario17 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 8:55 am
why do you say supervisor jobs opening up,,if anything i see them downsizing and getting rid of supervisors,,,i have my own company where i distribute flyers to canada post and i can tell you these depots have too many supervisors, most just go outside for a smoke..example milton post office..deliver flyers there and they have like 10 routes and do you really need 3 supervisors....make it simple one supervisor from 6 to 2 and a parttime supervisor from 2 to 7... or even make it better..just have one shift and one supervisor...you woulnt believe the countless smokes i see from these supervisors...get rid of a few ...and with the bigger depots even worse....and these supervisors are extremely rude
Because once hired as a supervisor, you're permanent, have your benefits, paid vacation, ect. If you're ready to be on call for years to come and treated like meat by all means go for it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel