Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 4, 2013
22 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
LC here transferring to Gateway soon. Any general advice for someone who's never worked inside - good areas to work, areas to stay away from?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
I have a question. There is this one supervisor that I often don't get along with. Maybe he is just difficult to get along with in general. But after a long and heavy day on Friday and after working overtime, he started bitching abut that small thing that I did not do, although I had a long day and put in a couple of hours overtime. I feel like I should complain about his general attitude towards me. Should I consult with the union first or go directly to the superintendent? If so, should I bring a shop steward with me?
Jan 16, 2017
132 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Thrasher wrote:
May 14th, 2017 1:59 am
I have a question. There is this one supervisor that I often don't get along with. Maybe he is just difficult to get along with in general. But after a long and heavy day on Friday and after working overtime, he started bitching abut that small thing that I did not do, although I had a long day and put in a couple of hours overtime. I feel like I should complain about his general attitude towards me. Should I consult with the union first or go directly to the superintendent? If so, should I bring a shop steward with me?
I'd talk to a shop steward first but if you talk to the superintendent, always, ALWAYS bring a shop steward with you!

And maybe talk to other people if they're having the same experiense with that supervisor.

Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10274 posts
2019 upvotes
GTA
Thrasher wrote:
Tread very carefully here. Management are sneaky pricks and will stick together. It seems the bigger the ahole they are, the higher up they go, so complaining to a superintendent that was once in that position might be fruitless and might even make your situation worse.

The most important thing you can do, starting now, is to document everything that is said and done. You'll see some shop stewards do this, as a lot of the time they have a target on their backs and have to cover their asses.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:46 am
Tread very carefully here. Management are sneaky pricks and will stick together. It seems the bigger the ahole they are, the higher up they go, so complaining to a superintendent that was once in that position might be fruitless and might even make your situation worse.

The most important thing you can do, starting now, is to document everything that is said and done. You'll see some shop stewards do this, as a lot of the time they have a target on their backs and have to cover their asses.
Thanks guys. I think I will put off my complaint for now. There is a good chance I won't have to see this problematic supervisor for some time. But I will document what was said. It just feels so discouraging that going the extra mile equals no appreciation or gratitude in this job; on the contrary, threats often follow.
Nov 4, 2011
8 posts
MARKHAM
Hi

Just a quick question

Does all lc start off as part time on call and eventually get into full time after a year or two??
Sep 27, 2015
48 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
babonk2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 5:38 am
Hi

Just a quick question

Does all lc start off as part time on call and eventually get into full time after a year or two??
Not really, it depends on the assignment you get call in for, either full-time or part-time.
"Just do small things with great love." - Saint Teresa of Calcutta
May 14, 2017
4 posts
Mississauga
im on-call LC since almost 3 months and worked for almost 3 weeks only! searching for any full time job within CPC, any advices?? i heard that i will get a full time job fast if request to be transferred to gateway operation center - Mississauga, is that right?
Oct 25, 2016
63 posts
15 upvotes
montréal
well, am also on call but have worked constantly since jan 15, give or take a few (!) days i didn't go in.. but i got nothing last week. i did get a call for a list for parcel delivery on sunday. i obviously was not called in. we were told, when we were training at the plant, that on call/terms mostly get called in in shitty weather conditions, and spring (when it's not fking raining), is a pretty nice bunch of weeks i can't blame the older LCs, lol. perhaps it'll go to when the summer gets hot and disgustingly humid or around holiday weekends..
Mar 22, 2012
477 posts
223 upvotes
By the River
Thrasher wrote:
I was wondering what that small thing was that you forgot to do??
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10274 posts
2019 upvotes
GTA
vegemite wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:55 pm
well, am also on call but have worked constantly since jan 15, give or take a few (!) days i didn't go in.. but i got nothing last week. i did get a call for a list for parcel delivery on sunday. i obviously was not called in. we were told, when we were training at the plant, that on call/terms mostly get called in in shitty weather conditions, and spring (when it's not fking raining), is a pretty nice bunch of weeks i can't blame the older LCs, lol. perhaps it'll go to when the summer gets hot and disgustingly humid or around holiday weekends..
Slowest times of the year for terms are spring and fall, as these are the least in-demand times for LCs to take vacation.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 27, 2015
48 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
babonk2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:32 am
Can you explain how that works ??
For me, I was assigned as temporary LC at GTA West, then I got transferred to SCLPP as part-time P04 in a year and half, and transferred to GTA East as full-time LC in almost 2 years. As temporary LC, you get the chance of getting call in for part-time or full-time.
"Just do small things with great love." - Saint Teresa of Calcutta
Jan 16, 2017
132 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
babonk2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 5:38 am
Hi

Just a quick question

You need to fill a form and file to be hired as permanent. Otherwise you'll be temp or casual forever.

Talk to supervisor to get the form.
Or ask shop steward.

And it really depends where you are, how fast the list moves to be a perm.
More people retire in your zone then you'll be perm faster.
Jul 14, 2013
99 posts
25 upvotes
First day of Eclipse at our depot today. Got a call from the staffing sup, not Eclipse, to come in for a sort and 2 pcs. On my way in, Eclipse calls. I find a place to pull over and call back immediately (within 1 min). "The callback delay for your assignment has expired." Lol. I tell the sup when I go in. "We're still working out some kinks..." While I'm tying out, Eclipse calls again offering an assignment. Sup says to accept it, so I did. Get a call immediately after from a private #. I let it go to VM. It's a message from CP to let me know that there is no assignment and not to go in. They leave a callback # and ask that I call ASAP! The callback # they left is some random guys house. First day of Eclipse at our depot today. Off to a great start!

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

deelogic, ksimms3