Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1163 posts
691 upvotes
under a snowbank, MB
Interestingly, about the bike lanes, CP says that staff have been notified that we will not be parking in bike lanes. In other news, this has not been discussed at our depot. Perhaps CP let one of the workers know and hoped the word would spread? Maybe it's because it only applies to Toronto, and all other bike lanes are still free game? Lol, just another day in the gong show.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1163 posts
691 upvotes
under a snowbank, MB
LOL, look what I just found after making that last post....
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... in-toronto

It's TRUE!!! They want us to keep breaking the law everywhere else.....LOL, I would say it is unbelievable, but we all know that this is the kind of leadership we can expect.....
Apr 30, 2017
110 posts
98 upvotes
Is appointment to full-time from part time done in batches, or are the positions filled individually as they open up?
Jul 6, 2017
63 posts
34 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 9:40 pm
LOL, look what I just found after making that last post....
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... in-toronto

It's TRUE!!! They want us to keep breaking the law everywhere else.....LOL, I would say it is unbelievable, but we all know that this is the kind of leadership we can expect.....
Once again, we're fighting against the fact that the general public is ignorant of what our job entails and of course the corporation is unwilling to educate. I wish the columnist had interviewed an actual letter carrier, or at least a CUPW representative, to give a balanced view of the issue. I used to be a newspaper reporter and that's what I would have done.
Funny how in the column it's mentioned that it's okay for public employees who are "working in the street" to stop in bike lanes. Isn't that exactly what letter carriers are and what we are doing?
Jan 5, 2014
196 posts
187 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
I bet that truck in the bike lane wasn't even making a delivery. The driver probably had to pull over cuz the step van was 100 degrees inside and was about to pass out. I had a conversation with a UPS driver about how they are allowed to drive with stepvan doors open. They apparently told the company to install air in all the trucks and they refused. Their union said screw you and decided they would drive with the doors open then...
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1163 posts
691 upvotes
under a snowbank, MB
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 2:14 pm
I don't get it? If Canada Post agreed to something it is only because it would benefit them......Is this just RSMC?
http://www.cupw.ca/en/drive-time-values ... -209979297
I believe it to be just RSMC. The only thing that urban side got was screwed....
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1731 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
We had a meeting on Wednesday this week to discuss the bike lane issue and a copy of the memo.

Promotion from PT to FT is usually done in batches from what I've seen. Most people if they put in transfer for who got PT only stay PT for 2 months max before getting FT.

I drive with the step van door open because it is too hot otherwise. I do close it when I'm close to the depot. lol I did once have my water bottle fly out the door while turning...
Jul 28, 2017
3 posts
Hey All,

Just got pt lc status. However I'm a little nervous about it. I have been a temp msc for the last year and a bit, I started out as an temp lc but transferred after 5 months. Is there anyway I could request to be put on a lc refresher course?

Thanks.
Jul 28, 2017
25 posts
3 upvotes
Hi everyone!

I've been hired as a temp and I'm super new. I've had a few jobs already. I'm wondering when does the soreness go away and when will I get speedier? Also, does anyone have any funny noobie moments they'd like to share?

Thank you :)
Mar 14, 2015
263 posts
165 upvotes
Joepostman wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 4:40 pm
Hey All,

Just got pt lc status. However I'm a little nervous about it. I have been a temp msc for the last year and a bit, I started out as an temp lc but transferred after 5 months. Is there anyway I could request to be put on a lc refresher course?

Thanks.
You could ask for a retraining session with one of the depot trainers.

However, many pt lc's do work that is similar to msc work. Dispatches, and pickups, mainly. The higher seniority work include earlier starting walking routes.
Jul 7, 2014
208 posts
118 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Legs take a solid month of walking. Shoulders and hands only get worse.
Best story is the person who would always answer the door in a robe...they would always accidentally show too much. Only on that route for a month , not sure if it happened to anyone else as I haven't been back that station.Good luck !
Postiegal wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 11:29 pm
Hi everyone!

I've been hired as a temp and I'm super new. I've had a few jobs already. I'm wondering when does the soreness go away and when will I get speedier? Also, does anyone have any funny noobie moments they'd like to share?

Thank you :)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1163 posts
691 upvotes
under a snowbank, MB
Pjtipps wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 8:40 pm
Legs take a solid month of walking. Shoulders and hands only get worse.
Best story is the person who would always answer the door in a robe...they would always accidentally show too much. Only on that route for a month , not sure if it happened to anyone else as I haven't been back that station.Good luck !
Yeah, so about that soreness..... I guess you can say about a month of regular shifts, excusing that fact that now my "soreness" is a screwed up knee, a bad hip, destroyed arches in my feet. I am guessing you are currently only worried about the short term soreness, so go with that month one.....lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

sbobcat