[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4097 posts
1005 upvotes
Winnipeg
biggerthanfun wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 6:37 pm
Do employees get any discounts on home insurance with anyone?
Yes..td insurance and cooperators
Jul 6, 2017
17 posts
8 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 6:42 pm
Yes..td insurance and cooperators
Is there a master list of who gives us discounts?
I found out that Lordco gives a CP employee discount when I randomly ran into another postie there.
Mar 14, 2015
211 posts
128 upvotes
33966 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 7:24 pm
Apparently this was spotted in Toronto! I wonder if CP will get something similar:

Please tell me that this is a joke.
May 21, 2013
686 posts
245 upvotes
Montreal
biggerthanfun wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 6:37 pm
Do employees get any discounts on home insurance with anyone?
In Quebec SSQ gives us discounts from what I recall.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4097 posts
1005 upvotes
Winnipeg
VanMailMan wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:09 pm
Is there a master list of who gives us discounts?
I found out that Lordco gives a CP employee discount when I randomly ran into another postie there.
https://cp.venngo.com
Restaurants, car manufacturer/ dealers, travel, etc.
There is also a list on the intrapost
Aug 2, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Recently got hired as a temp LC. Currently I'm in training which has been interesting since it's self-taught (apparently a first for this PO). I'm hoping for this to be more of a part time position while I finish up some schooling - hopefully not more than 1 or 2 shifts a week. How likely is this? Will I be penalized if I turn down shifts?
Mar 14, 2015
211 posts
128 upvotes
raptorsfan23 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 3:31 pm
Recently got hired as a temp LC. Currently I'm in training which has been interesting since it's self-taught (apparently a first for this PO). I'm hoping for this to be more of a part time position while I finish up some schooling - hopefully not more than 1 or 2 shifts a week. How likely is this? Will I be penalized if I turn down shifts?
Staffing can be unforgiving about your personal time. They need you when they call, and most assignments are weeks long in peak season. Now is the time you can be on a day to day call in list, and turn down assignments to fit around your school.

Talk to staffing once you are finished and are sure you have the position.

BTW, what do you mean by "self taught training"??
Jul 8, 2017
14 posts
22 upvotes
33966 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 7:24 pm
Apparently this was spotted in Toronto! I wonder if CP will get something similar:

Maybe this could be a solution to picking up RPOs that have bike lanes?
Oct 16, 2014
964 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
bigbluesky wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 7:48 pm
Staffing can be unforgiving about your personal time. They need you when they call, and most assignments are weeks long in peak season. Now is the time you can be on a day to day call in list, and turn down assignments to fit around your school.

Talk to staffing once you are finished and are sure you have the position.

BTW, what do you mean by "self taught training"??
I believe that CP was moving towards an "online" type of training, instead of in class. To go with that, I believe that they are getting more "on the street training" before being thrown to the wolves. I could be wrong about both, but I think I heard that somewhere.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Aug 2, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
There weren't enough of us being trained to warrant paying a trainer, and we aren't close to a training facility, so essentially, we were given an 800 page manual and told to read it over 4 days.
Apr 30, 2017
57 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
raptorsfan23 wrote:
Expect to get terminated in 6 months. No seriously

Gotta accept 50% of your shifts at minimum, or expect 3 consecutive letters within a 6 month period for "unreasonable availability."
Jun 1, 2008
594 posts
129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
raptorsfan23 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:19 pm
There weren't enough of us being trained to warrant paying a trainer, and we aren't close to a training facility, so essentially, we were given an 800 page manual and told to read it over 4 days.
My trainer was a retired Supervisor. You didn't miss much.
May 2, 2012
557 posts
194 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
raptorsfan23 wrote:
It really depends on where you are, what type of person your staffing officer is and if you use eclipse (automated staffing).

For the last two years as a term, I would always decline any assignment longer than a day and would only work 1-2 days per week. I never received a letter, nor was I in poor standing with staffing.

Whatever you decide, make sure to document the circumstances around your acceptances and denials of assignments. When you're called, at what time, for how much work etc. Even though CPC feeds this idea of needing a percentage of acceptances, it's simply not true. The only language in the CA for availability is that you need to demonstrate, "reasonable availability". This is arbitrary and there have been plenty of grievances related to it.

If you have detailed notes as to your situation, you will be in far better shape than just hoping for the best.

Good luck!
Apr 30, 2017
57 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
pike18 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 8:38 pm
It really depends on where you are, what type of person your staffing officer is and if you use eclipse (automated staffing).

For the last two years as a term, I would always decline any assignment longer than a day and would only work 1-2 days per week. I never received a letter, nor was I in poor standing with staffing.

Whatever you decide, make sure to document the circumstances around your acceptances and denials of assignments. When you're called, at what time, for how much work etc. Even though CPC feeds this idea of needing a percentage of acceptances, it's simply not true. The only language in the CA for availability is that you need to demonstrate, "reasonable availability". This is arbitrary and there have been plenty of grievances related to it.

If you have detailed notes as to your situation, you will be in far better shape than just hoping for the best.

Good luck!
You can grieve the letters that corp sends but the union won't take action until you actually lose your job. There is some clause in our cba that puts the grievance into "standby" until the corp terminates you. Then its a 2-4 months process getting your job back which is a pain in the ass.
May 21, 2013
686 posts
245 upvotes
Montreal
airmail wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 8:15 am
https://cp.venngo.com
Restaurants, car manufacturer/ dealers, travel, etc.
There is also a list on the intrapost
Damn tried signing up but it says it's expired?