[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4148 posts
1022 upvotes
Winnipeg
ksimms3 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:07 am
Damn tried signing up but it says it's expired?
You still should be able to sign up. Before it was free. Now you have to pay a fee.

Now,I think they had a promo for an insurance quote and you get a free membership.
May 21, 2013
695 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal
airmail wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 11:25 am
You still should be able to sign up. Before it was free. Now you have to pay a fee.

Now,I think they had a promo for an insurance quote and you get a free membership.
Is it worth the fee?!
May 19, 2017
4 posts
say you're working as an on-call letter carrier & becomes dissatisfied with the work. you feel that the work's not right for you. is it possible for you change your position & become a temp postal clerk instead? what's the way to do get on the call list for mail sorting work at the plants?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4148 posts
1022 upvotes
Winnipeg
ksimms3 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 12:14 pm
Is it worth the fee?!
There is the Dodge and nissan purchase program on there and many others...all depends on where you live and what you are looking for
Jul 28, 2017
3 posts
Hey all,

Will Canada Post send me the forms for signing up for the benefits and pension plan? Or do I have to go online to intrapost to get them.

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2132 upvotes
GTA
Joepostman wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 4:27 pm
Hey all,

Will Canada Post send me the forms for signing up for the benefits and pension plan? Or do I have to go online to intrapost to get them.

Thanks.
Pension is automatic, but I believe you'll get forms for next of kin, if you don't already have that info with cp.

AFAIK, the basic health benefits are automatic but you can ( and should) choose to get the extended health benefits also. You'll get a large envelope with info in it about your entitlements.

Once you have your login details setup, the best places for info on these two topics are their respective websites, https://www.cpcpension.com/ and https://groupnet.greatwestlife.com .

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 28, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the info, I find that I have to go searching through hr offices when it comes to forms or info regarding anything really.
Jan 5, 2014
168 posts
169 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
I know how you feel nobody guides you at all at Canada Post you are basically left to fend for yourself with everything. Even applying for benefits upon getting FT status...
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1013 posts
630 upvotes
igloo, yukon
I almost spat pop out my nose when I read this line.....
"Safety is at the forefront of everything we do at Canada Post," said spokesperson Jon Hamilton.

LOL, they will only care about health and safety if it won't cost them much money. Case in point, why exactly don't we weigh the flyers during a volume count, or include that weight when deciding how big to make a walking loop? Maybe we should have that added when they give us the ikea catalogues to deliver (oops, I mean "flyer"). We all know that will never happen.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.4236030
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Mar 14, 2015
235 posts
147 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 4:56 pm
I almost spat pop out my nose when I read this line.....
"Safety is at the forefront of everything we do at Canada Post," said spokesperson Jon Hamilton.

LOL, they will only care about health and safety if it won't cost them much money. Case in point, why exactly don't we weigh the flyers during a volume count, or include that weight when deciding how big to make a walking loop? Maybe we should have that added when they give us the ikea catalogues to deliver (oops, I mean "flyer"). We all know that will never happen.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.4236030
We're all wearing safety vests now; that should fix everything. Like fixing ruptured aorta with a Band Aid.
Mar 14, 2015
235 posts
147 upvotes
Somebody has to go public with the truth behind this horsecrap.

"There's less to deliver".
...Right. There's plenty of letter mail. Plus set after set of heavy flyers. And all kinds of packets. Plus parcels...Oh yeah, he forgets to mention that one person is doing all of this.
Plus dispatches, clearances, etc.

"The routes are going to get a bit longer".
Okay. 1000+ points of call. With the carrier going back and forth in some cases with load after load of parcels, and flyers and mail. The restructures that have been happening are brutal.
How about 30 CMBs with a two hour walking section thrown in?

"And there's vehicles added to it".
Well, duh. How the hell are you going to get one person to move all this crap? The vehicles have been instrumental in the removal of the relay system, where we are now able to create
endless loops, and carry the accoutrements of two or three different types of jobs around town with us.

The vehicles have been great for propaganda. They make a job that appears easy seem even easier to a gullible public, as we are made out to do nothing but drive around all day.

What a joke.
Dec 9, 2014
29 posts
1 upvote
Windsor, ON
Hello everyone. I applied for a Postal Clerk - On call position 2 months ago. I received an online test and did this about 3 weeks ago and passed and I just received an invitation for a face to face interview. Can someone give me some details of what to expect regarding the work environment, pay and benefits (or monies supplementing if no benefits are given). Do to a family crisis (my brother who lives in Europe was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and I had to quite my former job and spend some time with him in Europe - he had a surgery and is currently recovering btw) I have been out of work for over 1 year which is why I applied. Also I was recently charged with a DUI (over 80mg charge - went out with a few friends, had a couple of glasses of wine and went through a spot check and barely blew over but blew over - yes, I already know its a stupid thing I did and my first and last time doing this) and have 3 months left until I get my license back where I will be driving with a breathalyzer in the car for 1 year (being it was my first offense, my license suspension which was originally 1 year is only 6 months).

The reason I applied was because from what I read that it will be a plant position. I will be available whenever needed and will have transportation to and from work for the next 3 months until I get my license back. Will my DUI charge impact the chance of me getting hired on temporary basis? Also, what type of work hours on average per week does a postal clerk get assigned? I have an engineering degree and hope that once I get in, I can work my way up into lower management or engineering. Any and all advice is truly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Apr 30, 2017
91 posts
56 upvotes
Graduate3232 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:04 pm
Hello everyone. I applied for a Postal Clerk - On call position 2 months ago. I received an online test and did this about 3 weeks ago and passed and I just received an invitation for a face to face interview. Can someone give me some details of what to expect regarding the work environment, pay and benefits (or monies supplementing if no benefits are given). Do to a family crisis (my brother who lives in Europe was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and I had to quite my former job and spend some time with him in Europe - he had a surgery and is currently recovering btw) I have been out of work for over 1 year which is why I applied. Also I was recently charged with a DUI (over 80mg charge - went out with a few friends, had a couple of glasses of wine and went through a spot check and barely blew over but blew over - yes, I already know its a stupid thing I did and my first and last time doing this) and have 3 months left until I get my license back where I will be driving with a breathalyzer in the car for 1 year (being it was my first offense, my license suspension which was originally 1 year is only 6 months).

The reason I applied was because from what I read that it will be a plant position. I will be available whenever needed and will have transportation to and from work for the next 3 months until I get my license back. Will my DUI charge impact the chance of me getting hired on temporary basis? Also, what type of work hours on average per week does a postal clerk get assigned? I have an engineering degree and hope that once I get in, I can work my way up into lower management or engineering. Any and all advice is truly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Isn't a DUI considered a criminal offence in Canada? I thought during the application process asks "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not received a pardon for?" If you answered honestly and still got an interview you should be good, if not they do a criminal record check after the interview.
Apr 30, 2015
655 posts
441 upvotes
York, ON
Not sure how a DUI will impact you when they do the background check, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.