Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 9, 2014
29 posts
1 upvote
Windsor, ON
tarjet wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:15 pm
Not sure how a DUI will impact you when they do the background check, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I know. Stupid thing I did and I truly regret it. I am hoping I can explain it to them that it was a one time thing. Do you think I should let HR know ahead of the interview so as to find out if I am wasting their time or just go to the interview?
Apr 30, 2017
32 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Graduate3232 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:22 pm
I know. Stupid thing I did and I truly regret it. I am hoping I can explain it to them that it was a one time thing. Do you think I should let HR know ahead of the interview so as to find out if I am wasting their time or just go to the interview?
On the background check form it asks
"Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not received a pardon for?""

Theres a box that lets you select yes or no. If you select yes, it asks you to explain what you were charged with, date, what police force etc.

It depends on how serious they consider a DUI I guess
Dec 9, 2014
29 posts
1 upvote
Windsor, ON
Shafted1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:42 pm
On the background check form it asks
"Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not received a pardon for?""

Theres a box that lets you select yes or no. If you select yes, it asks you to explain what you were charged with, date, what police force etc.

It depends on how serious they consider a DUI I guess
I tried to check what I put when I applied for the position when I logged into the Canada Post job but it shows "job no longer available". I applied for the job a week after being convicted so I fear that I might have put no instead of yes which is my concern now. Thanks for the inputs btw
Apr 20, 2013
209 posts
87 upvotes
Graduate3232 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:54 pm
I tried to check what I put when I applied for the position when I logged into the Canada Post job but it shows "job no longer available". I applied for the job a week after being convicted so I fear that I might have put no instead of yes which is my concern now. Thanks for the inputs btw
I was asked to bring a printout of my background check to the personal interview (nearly 5 years ago). Did they request that you bring that, or forward them a copy in any way?
Mar 24, 2016
194 posts
184 upvotes
scarborough
Graduate3232 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:04 pm
Hello everyone. I applied for a Postal Clerk - On call position 2 months ago. I received an online test and did this about 3 weeks ago and passed and I just received an invitation for a face to face interview. Can someone give me some details of what to expect regarding the work environment, pay and benefits (or monies supplementing if no benefits are given). Do to a family crisis (my brother who lives in Europe was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and I had to quite my former job and spend some time with him in Europe - he had a surgery and is currently recovering btw) I have been out of work for over 1 year which is why I applied. Also I was recently charged with a DUI (over 80mg charge - went out with a few friends, had a couple of glasses of wine and went through a spot check and barely blew over but blew over - yes, I already know its a stupid thing I did and my first and last time doing this) and have 3 months left until I get my license back where I will be driving with a breathalyzer in the car for 1 year (being it was my first offense, my license suspension which was originally 1 year is only 6 months).

The reason I applied was because from what I read that it will be a plant position. I will be available whenever needed and will have transportation to and from work for the next 3 months until I get my license back. Will my DUI charge impact the chance of me getting hired on temporary basis? Also, what type of work hours on average per week does a postal clerk get assigned? I have an engineering degree and hope that once I get in, I can work my way up into lower management or engineering. Any and all advice is truly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I dont think that they will ask for a drivers abstruct for most plant operations. If you were to become a letter carier thats a whole different situation. I would keep my mouth shut but also be careful once in the plant, do not aplly for any driving related job postings.

As far as hours it really depends, i would say very minimal mout of hours until you get part time, then it a minimum of about 20 hours per week( depends on what section you are in). It will probably take many years before you get full time. However as a PT you might be able to work approx 30 -40 Hrs if extended hrs are given.. Not Guaranted

As far as become a supervisor if that the route you want to go throught just do it from the start.

I Canada post doesn't matter what degree you have, how much brains you have or dont have. Your not here to invent the wheel.

All you need to focus on is the quiz and the face to face interview both of which are easy.
Apr 30, 2017
32 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.4236030

"Federal government statistics show a jump in the disabling injury rate among postal workers between 2013 and 2015, from fewer than 4 out of every 100 full-time postal contractors up to 7.21 out of every 100 workers.

However Canada Post, which did not initially respond to CBC's interview requests, now says that spike is due to a change in the way it reports injury rates."
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1703 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Whoever did the Ikea splits for my route, I hate them. They have never delivered mail before. Just give me the catalogues for all 1600 POC and let me deal with it over 14 days. On Monday I deliver to the 4th floor of one of my buildings and then I do one side of a street 6-42. I don't do houses 2, 4, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56. Like wtf... my supervisor said just sort them into your cases. I have 2 POC per slot and two catalogues fills the whole slot... and then I have to deal with my normal admail.
Apr 30, 2009
303 posts
5 upvotes
Does it Really help to put a reference of a Canada post employee as a reference while you apply for a position at CP ?
Apr 20, 2013
209 posts
87 upvotes
dealbarons wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:24 pm
Does it Really help to put a reference of a Canada post employee as a reference while you apply for a position at CP ?
When I applied to CP, I worked at a restaurant. A co-worker of mine also applied. She figured she'd get in no problem, as she had several family members who worked at CP in various roles. I had no connection to anyone working at CP at all.

She never even got called for the GAT. I got hired.

So in my personal experience - no, it does not.
Aug 12, 2017
2 posts
I have an interview in a week and a half...what would be my odds of getting hired from this point?
Mar 24, 2016
194 posts
184 upvotes
scarborough
dealbarons wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:24 pm
No it makes no difference. Actually i think it makes it worse
Jul 28, 2017
7 posts
In some cases maybe it hurts, in others, maybe it helps. My friend knew someone and used him as a reference and was hired. When I was applying, I used her as a reference and the two that interviewed me knew her (one was her direct supervisor). So, possibly depending on who your reference is, and if you trust they are a good employee, mixed with how YOU personally are during the interview, it could help.
Jul 28, 2017
7 posts
I'd say if you do well in the interview, in about 2-4 months you might be hired if you get through the rest of the testing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)