Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 16, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I had to take a personal day today and saw a letter carrier delivering around my neighbourhood...with a cellphone in his hand!
He's looking at the cell and really not looking where he's going!
Gee...it's like injury waiting to happen.

I wanted to go up to him and say something but didn't.
Maybe I should have...
Hopefully he's just checking the maps or something.
If not, it's not only dangerous but I thought 'well, it'll take a looong time to finish his route!'
Dec 13, 2016
103 posts
8 upvotes
I have training starting in september. I took the call the other day and accepted but then found out yesterday that my wife has a line on her dream job in Vancouver, which we previously thought was a dead end.

Any tips on how to navigate this? Is it even possible to transfer to training in another province or would I have to do the whole process again? I'm in Hamilton.

I would be willing to just do the training and then apply for a transfer if I got through it.. but I have no idea how long that would take.
Apr 30, 2015
636 posts
419 upvotes
York, ON
jmomccxx wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 2:41 pm
I would be willing to just do the training and then apply for a transfer if I got through it.. but I have no idea how long that would take.
That would be my advice. To transfer to the vancouver temp call list would take no time at all. All depends on how the timing works out. But I would try to fill out the forms when you're in the depot doing on street training. Then you'll be in good shape because fall is a slow time for casuals anyway, you'll have lots of time to move.
Sep 28, 2014
2 posts
Edmonton, AB
I applied for positions of Postal Clerk and Letter Carrier in Calgary. The posting closed a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about these positions? Just wondering if I still have a chance of being selected or if I should move on.
Jul 28, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
calflam wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 12:03 pm
I applied for positions of Postal Clerk and Letter Carrier in Calgary. The posting closed a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about these positions? Just wondering if I still have a chance of being selected or if I should move on.
I finished my training last month. I applied in March and it took 4 months total to go through the entire process. It's a waiting game.
Jul 28, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 2:41 pm
I have training starting in september. I took the call the other day and accepted but then found out yesterday that my wife has a line on her dream job in Vancouver, which we previously thought was a dead end.

Any tips on how to navigate this? Is it even possible to transfer to training in another province or would I have to do the whole process again? I'm in Hamilton.

My advice is do the training and put your transfer in as soon as you pass training/are ready to move.
Mar 11, 2016
65 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Monday should be fun, the BIG eclipse and darkness (perhaps) for 2 hrs or so...I'll be bringing mail back if I can't see shit. Sorry CP. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Nov 25, 2012
32 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
PtsuckS wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 4:37 pm
Monday should be fun, the BIG eclipse and darkness (perhaps) for 2 hrs or so...I'll be bringing mail back if I can't see shit. Sorry CP. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Where's your headlight. Ask for protective eye gear
Jan 16, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
PtsuckS wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 4:37 pm
Oh I wonder if CP will give us the eclipse glasses then!
I didn't get them on Friday but maybe on Monday...
Or wait! Were we supposed to finish delivering the glasses to ourselves by this Friday? Along with the IKEA catalog?? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Anyway, have a nice Saturday night and Sunday, everyone, don't think about work until Monday...well if you're not working on weekends.
Oct 12, 2011
112 posts
36 upvotes
Does anyone have the article quote in the CA where is says temps need to work a minimum of 1 shift every 6 months (or something like that) for reference?

thx in advance
Jul 11, 2011
839 posts
485 upvotes
Ontario
rangeroad07 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 7:09 am
Does anyone have the article quote in the CA where is says temps need to work a minimum of 1 shift every 6 months (or something like that) for reference?

thx in advance
Here's the CA link

I think you'd be looking at article 44.11 (pg 306)

44.11 Availability and Termination of Employment
(a) The employment of a temporary employee
may be terminated by the Corporation when
the employee has not worked for any reason
during a period of twelve (12) continuous
months excluding the period from December 1
to December 24 inclusive.
Following a review of its operational
requirements, should the Corporation decide
to partially exercise its right in this regard, the
identification of the employees who will be
terminated will be by reverse order of
seniority.
(b) The employment of a temporary employee
shall be terminated when the employee has
not demonstrated reasonable availability in
the acceptance of work assignments during
any six (6) consecutive months following the
signing of the collective agreement.
Paragraphs 44.11 (a) and (b) do not apply
with respect to any period during which an employee is
disabled, on maternity, parental, adoption or union leave
without pay, provided however that prior written notice has
been given to the Corporation.
Dec 3, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I applied last week for the Temporary Delivery Agent Position.
A day later, I received an email to do an online assessment test (I had until today to do it). I did it yesterday. I found it really a non-brainer.
This morning I got a call to go for an interview tomorrow (and bring ID and driver's abstract). But then, the lady asked me if I have full availability to be on call and report to work within 1 hour. I told her that I was looking for a part time (afternoons, evenings and weekends). She said that I need to be available all day (even though there is no guarantee of hours). I thank her for her time and I said that I would not be interested, as I have a day job and I would not be leaving it.
And that was my short story with Canada Post. Very frustrating that they would not consider a casual afternoon/weekends. I am sure there would be a need of coverage in case of absences.
Apr 30, 2015
636 posts
419 upvotes
York, ON
honestly you're better off not working here

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

tarjet