Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Mar 24, 2016
294 posts
275 upvotes
scarborough
You don't need a car for training. You do need to get there on time so by bus, TTC or taxi.

don't be late
Sep 4, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
explorer11 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 1:40 pm
You don't need a car for training. You do need to get there on time so by bus, TTC or taxi.

don't be late
I definitely won't be. Have the route mapped out.
Dec 13, 2016
111 posts
9 upvotes
So, something that was hypothetical before has become reality now. I will 100% have to move to BC after training.

Has anyone transferred to a different location directly after training and within the probationary period? Alternatively, has anyone transferred before training to complete it at a different location?

I know these were somewhat answered before, and I will ask HR, but I'm interested in personal experiences if possible.. especially regarding the probationary period.
Apr 12, 2011
459 posts
217 upvotes
downtown TO
postienew wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 12:08 pm
This is kind of a ridiculous question but I have training starting soon. Do you need a car for any reason during training? We have one car and my gf needs it this month as she needs to travel. I would have one when I begin work if I pass the training. I can get to the training by bus. Also, what does casual dress mean for training? Jeans and a tee ok?
No car required for either the in-class or on-street training. No personal vehicle will ever be required for letter carriers.

The in-class training is exactly that, It's a classroom setting sitting at a table for 8 hours looking at powerpoint presentations, instructional videos, practicing sorting mail in a case, etc. Easy stuff, with breaks and a lunch.

The on-street training will be a a different location and different start-time, so you will have to find a way to get there too. You find out where your on-street training is near the end of the first week.

And yes, casual means wear anything. Jeans and a tshirt is fine.
Apr 12, 2011
459 posts
217 upvotes
downtown TO
jmomccxx wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 2:29 pm
So, something that was hypothetical before has become reality now. I will 100% have to move to BC after training.

Has anyone transferred to a different location directly after training and within the probationary period? Alternatively, has anyone transferred before training to complete it at a different location?

I know these were somewhat answered before, and I will ask HR, but I'm interested in personal experiences if possible.. especially regarding the probationary period.
No experience myself, but I know of a new temp who recently transferred from Edmonton to Toronto, while still under the probationary period.
From what I heard, it was a bit of a pain to find the right person to contact in HR and to make sure that the transfer was going through without problems, but I know that in the end everything worked and the postie made the transfer as a temp, while still in the probation period.

If I were you, I would try and complete the training at the location they told you, and then once you pass that, you are essentially a Canada Post employee, and that's when I would start to ask about transferring...

At the end of the training period you officially become a temp employee of Canada Post, and you are essentially 'IN'. I know there's the 480 hours probationary period, but I have never heard of anyone being fired in that timeframe. CUPW (our Union) has your back from day one. Example:

I knew of a temp who refused work from Canada Post for over a year, (he was out of country). He was eventually terminated due to no responses/no acceptance of work, and then months later he used the Union to get his job back, claiming that Canada Post had his wrong phone number, or some other excuse.. And he got his temp job back, same seniority and everything.

The way I see it, once you complete training you are IN and you can transfer anywhere in the country, so don't stress too much.. There will be a job for you in BC
Mar 14, 2015
235 posts
147 upvotes
postienew wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 12:08 pm
This is kind of a ridiculous question but I have training starting soon. Do you need a car for any reason during training? We have one car and my gf needs it this month as she needs to travel. I would have one when I begin work if I pass the training. I can get to the training by bus. Also, what does casual dress mean for training? Jeans and a tee ok?
In answer to the first question, you may need a car if the training is far away from your home, and isn't transit accessible. I didn't own a car during my training, and had to rent one, as the in-class portion was on the other side of the GTA from where I live.

You should find out ahead of time where your training locations are. They place you where they have space, so it may not be a convenient place for you. You can plan accordingly when you get your letter outlining the training details. You never use your personal vehicle for any Canada Post duties, as an Urban carrier.

Yes, jeans and a tee should be fine. Just neat and clean, and no offensive markings (duh).
Dec 23, 2011
77 posts
25 upvotes
toronto
So as a temp, the wage doesn't not increase until you get hired? I thought it goes up every year.
Aug 12, 2017
74 posts
17 upvotes
well physical is done..no clue how I did but they didn't stop me for anything...seemed abit different from what I have read on these posts..wonder if they are changing things up? Heart rate was a non-issue for me but virtually have no idea about other things..so now the waiting
Sep 4, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
bigbluesky wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 7:24 pm
In answer to the first question, you may need a car if the training is far away from your home, and isn't transit accessible. I didn't own a car during my training, and had to rent one, as the in-class portion was on the other side of the GTA from where I live.

You should find out ahead of time where your training locations are. They place you where they have space, so it may not be a convenient place for you. You can plan accordingly when you get your letter outlining the training details. You never use your personal vehicle for any Canada Post duties, as an Urban carrier.

Yes, jeans and a tee should be fine. Just neat and clean, and no offensive markings (duh).
I know where the in class training is and I'll be able to bus there and back. I'll need to find out where the on the street training is at and figure out how to get there.
Dec 13, 2016
111 posts
9 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 4:43 pm
No experience myself, but I know of a new temp who recently transferred from Edmonton to Toronto, while still under the probationary period.
From what I heard, it was a bit of a pain to find the right person to contact in HR and to make sure that the transfer was going through without problems, but I know that in the end everything worked and the postie made the transfer as a temp, while still in the probation period.

If I were you, I would try and complete the training at the location they told you, and then once you pass that, you are essentially a Canada Post employee, and that's when I would start to ask about transferring...

At the end of the training period you officially become a temp employee of Canada Post, and you are essentially 'IN'. I know there's the 480 hours probationary period, but I have never heard of anyone being fired in that timeframe. CUPW (our Union) has your back from day one. Example:

I knew of a temp who refused work from Canada Post for over a year, (he was out of country). He was eventually terminated due to no responses/no acceptance of work, and then months later he used the Union to get his job back, claiming that Canada Post had his wrong phone number, or some other excuse.. And he got his temp job back, same seniority and everything.

The way I see it, once you complete training you are IN and you can transfer anywhere in the country, so don't stress too much.. There will be a job for you in BC
Thanks! I guess I'll attempt to finish the training and then try to transfer. It would be awesome to have some kind of work lined up.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
fishhunting wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 7:40 pm
So as a temp, the wage doesn't not increase until you get hired?
Correct. Once made permanent you'll get a raise each year for 7 years, bringing you up to max rate.

There'll be small increases also, when everyone gets a raise, usually 1% or something. For instance, the starting rate a few years back was $19 per hour, now with those 'little' raises it's $19.86.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 20, 2013
224 posts
92 upvotes
moonfirespam wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:45 pm
Can temps train people on-street?
Not sure if there is an "official" rule on this, but I did!

I became a peer trainer as a casual with 3 years in. Still doing it as FT RLC.
Mar 26, 2007
456 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough
digression wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:18 pm
Not sure if there is an "official" rule on this, but I did!

I became a peer trainer as a casual with 3 years in. Still doing it as FT RLC.
For that, we thank you spend your time and efforts, as I was been trained once by a temp. He is the best trainer I ever get because he trained me from a new guy prospective which benefit me the most. Sure we all like the short cuts and cheats but the fundamental parts is more important to the new guy.
Dec 5, 2007
8 posts
I will have a step van road test tomorrow. Could anyone tell me what kind of road test that I should be expected? Is it like getting a G license?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Damncroissants, leyland1989