Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Apr 12, 2011
448 posts
203 upvotes
downtown TO
pl168ca wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 2:36 pm
I will have a step van road test tomorrow. Could anyone tell me what kind of road test that I should be expected? Is it like getting a G license?
Not like a G road test really.. Mine was about 30min explaining how the step van works, 30min driving around the city and then the final test was to back up into a parking spot. The trainer was a very nice guy, made the whole thing casual and easy. Paid 2hrs for step-van training.
Apr 30, 2017
47 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Is leave without pay only available for group 2 employees? Nothing in our CBA for group 1 employees.
Dec 13, 2016
72 posts
3 upvotes
pl168ca wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 2:36 pm
I will have a step van road test tomorrow. Could anyone tell me what kind of road test that I should be expected? Is it like getting a G license?
I have training tomorrow too. I have step van training on there. Is that a test? They framed it as training but not a test to me. Lol.. I probably would have practiced some if it was a test. I'll practice some tonight.
Edit: Just to confirm.. this is on the first day of training or something else?
Dec 5, 2007
8 posts
jmomccxx wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:57 pm
I have training tomorrow too. I have step van training on there. Is that a test? They framed it as training but not a test to me. Lol.. I probably would have practiced some if it was a test. I'll practice some tonight.
Edit: Just to confirm.. this is on the first day of training or something else?
I just passed the interview for mail service courier. I was told that my hiring process will be completed if I pass the road test. It is not a training session.
Dec 13, 2016
72 posts
3 upvotes
pl168ca wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:35 pm
I just passed the interview for mail service courier. I was told that my hiring process will be completed if I pass the road test. It is not a training session.
My bad, I'm not for courier. Sorry.

Edit: anyone who has done the training recently know what the first day driving training consists of for letter carriers?
Sep 3, 2017
2 posts
Hugh Jass wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 9:25 am
There is nothing in black and white for the refusal rate, they say a reasonable amount in keeping with operational requirements, but they have to send you a warning letter first if your rate is below what they expect.

One of the best things about being a term is being able to take vacation whenever you like. They'll bs you and tell you that you can't but all you have to say is that you're not available at that time. They can't have it both ways, being able to NOT call you for a week but also saying you can't take that same week off Smiling Face With Horns
Thanks for the reply, good info, much appreciated!
Dec 5, 2007
8 posts
fishscale4sale wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:17 pm
Not like a G road test really.. Mine was about 30min explaining how the step van works, 30min driving around the city and then the final test was to back up into a parking spot. The trainer was a very nice guy, made the whole thing casual and easy. Paid 2hrs for step-van training.
Thanks to the reply. I did my test today and passed. It is similar to what you described. I was practicing the backup in the final 30 mins. not really sure it is a paid training or not. The trainer did not mention it but just said there will be a 2-week training for me. I just need to wait for the HR to contact me.
Jan 16, 2017
147 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
pl168ca wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 4:02 pm
Thanks to the reply. I did my test today and passed. It is similar to what you described. I was practicing the backup in the final 30 mins. not really sure it is a paid training or not. The trainer did not mention it but just said there will be a 2-week training for me. I just need to wait for the HR to contact me.
As far as I know you get paid while you're in training but that was years I ago I was trained. I don't think it has changed.
Apr 12, 2011
448 posts
203 upvotes
downtown TO
mflower wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 4:32 pm
As far as I know you get paid while you're in training but that was years I ago I was trained. I don't think it has changed.
I think we are talking about 2 different 'driver trainings'.
The regular driver training happens for every new hire, and it consists of driving a cargo van and doing some simple maneuvers like backing up into a spot.

What I was talking about was driver training for the STEP VAN. This is the big boxy Canada Post truck, which requires a separate drive test.
Some NEW employees get this CP license during their original new-employee training. Others (like me) avoid it for years lol.

If you are already a CP employee and you have never set foot in a step van, then eventually you will be required to complete the training/test.
This test is 2hrs paid, and like I said earlier it is a simple drive-around and then back up into parking spots.

If you are nervous about driving such a big vehicle (like I was originally), don't be too stressed as the step van is very easy to drive.
The downsides are that there is no A/C, there's no back-up camera to help you with tight spots, and you might have to circle around the block instead of doing a U turn. The extra room is a plus, as it's easy to organize all of your mail. The step van comes in handy during heavy days and the holiday season..

Overall though, I still prefer the smaller transit for most days... It all depends on the route also.. Most step vans have RPO dispatch/clearances.
Apr 30, 2015
593 posts
375 upvotes
York, ON
I love step vans so much, besides that they are so obviously bad ass, it's so easy to organize everything. And you can hide in the back if you want while you break or wait for clearances. And once you drive them a whole lot, you will get really good at the tight manouvers. Nothing like driving in downtown toronto in a step van to up your driving skills. Everything about the step van is so much fun.. from slamming open or closed the giant rolling door in the back and jumping out to driving around with the doors open. And when you floor the van with the V8 and the radio blaring you will know the joy of being a bitter mail carrier with a huge truck in a hurry.

I really hate the transits, they're not meant for parcel delivery and that's really all we do. I'll take the lack of a/c over a pile of parcels up to the ceiling with nothing to secure them any day.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10324 posts
2035 upvotes
GTA
pl168ca wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 4:02 pm
Yours being a test, not training, therefore not paid. But your two weeks training is definitely paid.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 6, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
I'm (finally) going for step van training tomorrow. The training is 8-10 then I have to report back to my depot (an hour away from the training) and do my route.
I confirmed that I will get my OT for the training but am I entitled to paid travel time?
Someone suggested I should show up to the depot first and either take a taxi or ask to use the transit from my route.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10324 posts
2035 upvotes
GTA
VanMailMan wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 8:53 pm
I'm (finally) going for step van training tomorrow. The training is 8-10 then I have to report back to my depot (an hour away from the training) and do my route.
I confirmed that I will get my OT for the training but am I entitled to paid travel time?
Someone suggested I should show up to the depot first and either take a taxi or ask to use the transit from my route.
Hell yes. It's a bit late now to arrange with a supervisor what's best, so just go yourself and put in the overtime form. If they deny it, grieve it, easy win.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 8, 2015
43 posts
20 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
We're here for a long time
Not a good time
So have a 15.08
The mail can't come every day
Dec 13, 2016
72 posts
3 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 5:27 pm
I think we are talking about 2 different 'driver trainings'.
The regular driver training happens for every new hire, and it consists of driving a cargo van and doing some simple maneuvers like backing up into a spot.

What I was talking about was driver training for the STEP VAN. This is the big boxy Canada Post truck, which requires a separate drive test.
Some NEW employees get this CP license during their original new-employee training. Others (like me) avoid it for years lol.

If you are already a CP employee and you have never set foot in a step van, then eventually you will be required to complete the training/test.
This test is 2hrs paid, and like I said earlier it is a simple drive-around and then back up into parking spots.

If you are nervous about driving such a big vehicle (like I was originally), don't be too stressed as the step van is very easy to drive.
The downsides are that there is no A/C, there's no back-up camera to help you with tight spots, and you might have to circle around the block instead of doing a U turn. The extra room is a plus, as it's easy to organize all of your mail. The step van comes in handy during heavy days and the holiday season..

Overall though, I still prefer the smaller transit for most days... It all depends on the route also.. Most step vans have RPO dispatch/clearances.
I just did the step van training. It was on the biggest and newest step van or so they said. It was pretty daunting. I've never driven a vehicle that filled a lane almost completely before.