Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 6, 2017
28 posts
17 upvotes
What a day! Step van training went smoothly. The trainer was a former LC and Supervisor and is a nice guy.
Just to simplify my life I decided to drive my personal vehicle out to the plant. So on the way home, driving my slow 30-year-old van with my head full of safety and situational awareness, I go to change lanes so I can make a right at the next intersection. Blinker is on, mirrors checked, all clear, so as I'm changing lanes some jerkoff in an SUV comes flying up behind me in the lane I'm moving into.
I'm already committed and I have the right of way so I complete the lane change and he gets right on my ass, blasts the horn and turns on his high beams. Right up to the intersection and through the turn he keeps this up so I flip him off. He keeps following me and then weaves around before pulling up beside me and gesturing wildly. I just think this guy is a major ******* so I start making kissy faces at him. Then he gets real pissed and, of course, pulls out his phone and starts snapping photos. I just kind of laugh it off but then I think he sees my uniform because I swear I saw him mouth "Canada Post" and gets a big smile on his face. He takes more pics then waves "bye-bye" at me, pulls in front and cuts me off, waves more and then tears off down the road.
He probably knows someone in corporate and thinks he's going to get me fired with his stupid photos!
So on top of all that, I get home and park my van (and verify all the turn signals work!) and grab my bike to ride to the depot. I'm going through a light in the right lane and a car behind me swerves out to avoid a line of left turning vehicles and basically drives right into me and starts pushing me right into the curb! Luckily she noticed what she was doing before I was injured or my bike damaged.
Then I got to work to face nine tubs of XX when I normally have three or four. Prepped my fliers and did my whole route.
What a day!
Mar 24, 2016
264 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
jmomccxx wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:47 pm
I just did the step van training. It was on the biggest and newest step van or so they said. It was pretty daunting. I've never driven a vehicle that filled a lane almost completely before.
I didnt realize Canada Post had the biggest and newest step van.

I thought we only had the big old huge step vand with at least 250,000 miles on it ith no heat, air condition, rusty bend bumper and a 12volt fan
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10415 posts
2107 upvotes
GTA
explorer11 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:30 am
I didnt realize Canada Post had the biggest and newest step van.

I thought we only had the big old huge step vand with at least 250,000 miles on it ith no heat, air condition, rusty bend bumper and a 12volt fan
We have a newish one in our depot, everything works perfectly, it even has electric windows !!! We have 9 total and this new one is driven by a part-timer with by far the lowest seniority, go figure.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
100 posts
7 upvotes
Haha, the one I drove had less than 5k on it. I'd have preferred something already dinged up.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15816 posts
564 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
The new step van ones are the large white ones right? If so, yeah they are all driven by new people with low seniority(from what I observed)
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Mar 22, 2012
479 posts
223 upvotes
By the River
VanMailMan wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:54 pm
What a day! Step van training went smoothly. The trainer was a former LC and Supervisor and is a nice guy.
Just to simplify my life I decided to drive my personal vehicle out to the plant. So on the way home, driving my slow 30-year-old van with my head full of safety and situational awareness, I go to change lanes so I can make a right at the next intersection. Blinker is on, mirrors checked, all clear, so as I'm changing lanes some jerkoff in an SUV comes flying up behind me in the lane I'm moving into.
I'm already committed and I have the right of way so I complete the lane change and he gets right on my ass, blasts the horn and turns on his high beams. Right up to the intersection and through the turn he keeps this up so I flip him off. He keeps following me and then weaves around before pulling up beside me and gesturing wildly. I just think this guy is a major ******* so I start making kissy faces at him. Then he gets real pissed and, of course, pulls out his phone and starts snapping photos. I just kind of laugh it off but then I think he sees my uniform because I swear I saw him mouth "Canada Post" and gets a big smile on his face. He takes more pics then waves "bye-bye" at me, pulls in front and cuts me off, waves more and then tears off down the road.
He probably knows someone in corporate and thinks he's going to get me fired with his stupid photos!
So on top of all that, I get home and park my van (and verify all the turn signals work!) and grab my bike to ride to the depot. I'm going through a light in the right lane and a car behind me swerves out to avoid a line of left turning vehicles and basically drives right into me and starts pushing me right into the curb! Luckily she noticed what she was doing before I was injured or my bike damaged.
Then I got to work to face nine tubs of XX when I normally have three or four. Prepped my fliers and did my whole route.
What a day!
I think the gods are trying to tell you something. You ever look back and say "I wish someone would of told me"...well let this be your warning!!...lol
Oct 16, 2014
992 posts
615 upvotes
igloo, yukon
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:15 am
I think the gods are trying to tell you something. You ever look back and say "I wish someone would of told me"...well let this be your warning!!...lol
Wait until they see Christmas....lol
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1717 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
dieselboy27 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:34 pm
Christmas is great for 15.08?
Also 17.04 if you're into that
Jan 16, 2017
155 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
VanMailMan wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:54 pm
What a day!
I feel for you! That sounds like a total jack***!

But this is exactly why I don't wear the CP shirt while I'm driving my car.
I always bring extra shirt and change after work (also in the morning, too).

One time I went to shop after work and this person came up to me and started blabbing about how bad CP workers are, obviously this guy is a union hater, then moved on to tell me how shitty our services are, etc.
I just ignored him but learned lesson there.
No more uniform outside work for me.

You know, people appreciate us when we deliver their parcels but other than that, some people get really nasty.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1302 posts
26 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 3:11 pm
Just check the website. They're always hiring.
Do you know about the computer/online test? Do you know what the required 'score' is or how long you would wait until you hear anything?

Can you re-take the test/re-apply?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1302 posts
26 upvotes
33966 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 4:54 pm
+1, the turnover is so high we always hiring! Happy long weekend everyone! Bless the ikea flyers are done!
Why is the turnover so high?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)