Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10324 posts
2035 upvotes
GTA
teleguitar wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:26 pm
Why is the turnover so high?
Tough job, especially at the start. People sign up thinking that it's easy ( I did ;) ) but it ain't.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 16, 2016
59 posts
12 upvotes
Are CP employees ever considered Federal Gov't employees regarding hotel rates/travel discounts? Trying not to starve my family, booking a Disneyland holiday. Thx Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Dec 23, 2011
72 posts
23 upvotes
toronto
teleguitar wrote:
I've been with the post for a year and did all kinds of work here, so I'll give some of my opinion.
First, this job is actually hard physical labor, I know we always appear to be carrying 20 pieces of mail while walking in the sun door to door, while it is true for the select privileged personnel, it is not the norm for most. Second, the job pays less than 20 dollars an hour without too many advancement opportunities as most management or none blue collar are hired externally or promoted from none carriers, the following is very anecdotal, however, I got a bachelors and have been applying for a year without success, I will keep trying none the less. Third, select supervisors can be very pushy to new hires, including but not limited to perceived "forced" overtime, not entering overtime so you have to check daily to make sure hard physical labor is getting paid, you the new guy should be as good as the guy who walked the route for ten years while making 2/3 of what he does without bennifits is no big deal, but just the other day a temp got severely wounded by a dog. You really are not given time to protect yourself, such as study the board for danger, learn the pitfalls etc. If you are a picky person, there is a ton of "rights" that employees have which you gotta fight for, which just causes grief to everybody, pun intended. (I avoid all such actions to remain happy) Another temp who got in recently had to endure "what a f'in moron, idiot, you dumb mfer" because he was slow, and got abused for forgetting to scan the days parcels. I went to comfort him after, to my surprise he stayed, seemed like a decent black guy who just needed time to learn, more respect, and less abuse. I mean usually to my knowledge hard physical labor pays around 30+ with skilled labors paid much more over a few years time, and indoor work without risk or dogs, slips and falls, weather conditions such as heavy rain. Now it seems like a lot of downing events, but this happened over a years time, so it is not that bad considering I haven't mentioned anything good. The issue is as a new hire you gotta endure the inevitable supervisor who you will get warned about on your first day. The hard work that just piles on, and applying rights, as a person can be tough if you're fight the power type. Arguably low pay compared to alternatives, as well as no bright future as opportunities are more likely outsourced for fairness reasons(I'm guessing on this one)

On the positive, most supervisors are really kinda nice, almost all customers are fantastic, and it is a nice job if you enjoy a breeze of fresh air from time to time.

Tldr, the job is hard and we welcome all who qualify to try it. I heard they are going to have to directly hire from the streets for fulltimers soon, because retention rate is so low.
Jan 5, 2014
147 posts
149 upvotes
Edmonton
teleguitar wrote:
Cuz this job destroys your body. 5 yrs in and I have issues in my hip, ankle and constant tingling in half of one foot. 20km a day is way to much... Not to mention the lack of proper training and management. I bet they are lucky to keep 2 of every 15 hired.
Jan 5, 2014
147 posts
149 upvotes
Edmonton
Uniondude wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:28 pm
Are CP employees ever considered Federal Gov't employees regarding hotel rates/travel discounts? Trying not to starve my family, booking a Disneyland holiday. Thx Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Absolutely I mention this everywhere!
Jan 5, 2014
147 posts
149 upvotes
Edmonton
Term in my depot got FT after 4 weeks... Took me 4 yrs... Sigh
Sep 16, 2016
59 posts
12 upvotes
That's great! Any tips on maximizing discounts? Not sure how to apply it, is it available for Disney tix as well as hotel? Thx
Slotstuffer wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:50 pm
Absolutely I mention this everywhere!
Sep 16, 2016
59 posts
12 upvotes
Slotstuffer wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:53 pm
Term in my depot got FT after 4 weeks... Took me 4 yrs... Sigh
They must have applied at just the right time. Same thing happened to me last year. I wrote my LC test, did 4 shifts as a term LC, then was promoted to PT LC right away without blinking. It's all about timing, and making sure that paperwork/application is up to date!

I have been an LCA ever since, I never deliver anything, only sorting inside the depot.
Jan 5, 2014
147 posts
149 upvotes
Edmonton
Uniondude wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:06 pm
That's great! Any tips on maximizing discounts? Not sure how to apply it, is it available for Disney tix as well as hotel? Thx
Not really I just make sure to mention I am a govt employee.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1334 posts
74 upvotes
richmondhill
how do you like the lca position
Uniondude wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:08 pm
They must have applied at just the right time. Same thing happened to me last year. I wrote my LC test, did 4 shifts as a term LC, then was promoted to PT LC right away without blinking. It's all about timing, and making sure that paperwork/application is up to date!

I have been an LCA ever since, I never deliver anything, only sorting inside the depot.
Oct 12, 2011
112 posts
36 upvotes
Slotstuffer wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:49 pm
Cuz this job destroys your body. 5 yrs in and I have issues in my hip, ankle and constant tingling in half of one foot. 20km a day is way to much... Not to mention the lack of proper training and management. I bet they are lucky to keep 2 of every 15 hired.
The union needs to stand up on this. It's a simple part of bargaining, 'no route can exceed 10km a day' or something to that effect. Any type of health and safety standard must have maximums regarding long distance and carrying weight.
Oct 16, 2014
952 posts
581 upvotes
rangeroad07 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:00 pm
The union needs to stand up on this. It's a simple part of bargaining, 'no route can exceed 10km a day' or something to that effect. Any type of health and safety standard must have maximums regarding long distance and carrying weight.
The union cares just slightly more than CP on health and safety issues. Just look at how they constantly allow catalogues to be called flyers (ahem...IKEA) with special back room deals, and how they allowed for even bigger and heavier flyers to be allowed starting next year (for less pay even...smh). They mostly care about creating or keeping union due paying members.

Ps. The routes are also about to get even longer with the change to the creation of a "router" position, who will just be paid to sort up all the routes, so that letters carriers will have to spend even MORE time on the streets delivering. This madness won't end until 70% of the workforce is on wcb....
Sep 16, 2016
59 posts
12 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:12 pm
how do you like the lca position
Love it. I'm part time on purpose, 4-830am shift. Extensions are quite often, yet not obligatory. Easy work, just lots of heavy lifting for parcel sorting. I mostly do XX, but parcel volume will increase soon. Zero stress, supervisors leave us alone for the most part. Just show up, sort, go home, nap/errands/life. 4am is a bitch, but it works for my family.
Dec 13, 2016
72 posts
3 upvotes
fishhunting wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:47 pm
I've been with the post for a year and did all kinds of work here, so I'll give some of my opinion.
First, this job is actually hard physical labor, I know we always appear to be carrying 20 pieces of mail while walking in the sun door to door, while it is true for the select privileged personnel, it is not the norm for most. Second, the job pays less than 20 dollars an hour without too many advancement opportunities as most management or none blue collar are hired externally or promoted from none carriers, the following is very anecdotal, however, I got a bachelors and have been applying for a year without success, I will keep trying none the less. Third, select supervisors can be very pushy to new hires, including but not limited to perceived "forced" overtime, not entering overtime so you have to check daily to make sure hard physical labor is getting paid, you the new guy should be as good as the guy who walked the route for ten years while making 2/3 of what he does without bennifits is no big deal, but just the other day a temp got severely wounded by a dog. You really are not given time to protect yourself, such as study the board for danger, learn the pitfalls etc. If you are a picky person, there is a ton of "rights" that employees have which you gotta fight for, which just causes grief to everybody, pun intended. (I avoid all such actions to remain happy) Another temp who got in recently had to endure "what a f'in moron, idiot, you dumb mfer" because he was slow, and got abused for forgetting to scan the days parcels. I went to comfort him after, to my surprise he stayed, seemed like a decent black guy who just needed time to learn, more respect, and less abuse. I mean usually to my knowledge hard physical labor pays around 30+ with skilled labors paid much more over a few years time, and indoor work without risk or dogs, slips and falls, weather conditions such as heavy rain. Now it seems like a lot of downing events, but this happened over a years time, so it is not that bad considering I haven't mentioned anything good. The issue is as a new hire you gotta endure the inevitable supervisor who you will get warned about on your first day. The hard work that just piles on, and applying rights, as a person can be tough if you're fight the power type. Arguably low pay compared to alternatives, as well as no bright future as opportunities are more likely outsourced for fairness reasons(I'm guessing on this one)

On the positive, most supervisors are really kinda nice, almost all customers are fantastic, and it is a nice job if you enjoy a breeze of fresh air from time to time.

Tldr, the job is hard and we welcome all who qualify to try it. I heard they are going to have to directly hire from the streets for fulltimers soon, because retention rate is so low.
How much power does a pushy supervisor have on you when you are still in probation and then off probation? In other words, do you have to eat 'forced overtime' to keep your job or are they relying on aggression and bluster to get you to do things you don't have to do?
Apr 30, 2017
47 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
jmomccxx wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:00 am
How much power does a pushy supervisor have on you when you are still in probation and then off probation? In other words, do you have to eat 'forced overtime' to keep your job or are they relying on aggression and bluster to get you to do things you don't have to do?
While your on probation they give can give you poor reviews which can lead to dismissal, afterwords they can't do much imo. I'd say eat the OT until you pass 480, after that do as you wish.