Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 16, 2014
992 posts
615 upvotes
igloo, yukon
rangeroad07 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:36 pm
This is so incredibly dumb. Theres not one veteran carrier out there who ties out to the header board. Now a 'router' for flyer sortation is something I can get behind...
Exactly, not only will my route become longer, distance wise, but you can no longer tie it out in a way that works better..... It is going to be a nightmare. And you are right again. Having someone come in to put the flyers together at least could make SOME sense. But lets be honest. the corporate big wigs in almost all companies are clueless to how things really work in their own companies......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10415 posts
2107 upvotes
GTA
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:13 pm
Exactly, not only will my route become longer, distance wise, but you can no longer tie it out in a way that works better..... It is going to be a nightmare. And you are right again. Having someone come in to put the flyers together at least could make SOME sense. But lets be honest. the corporate big wigs in almost all companies are clueless to how things really work in their own companies......
F that. Yeah I'm coming in and straight away leaving to walk 6hrs hahahahaha

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
100 posts
7 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:00 am
The union cares just slightly more than CP on health and safety issues. Just look at how they constantly allow catalogues to be called flyers (ahem...IKEA) with special back room deals, and how they allowed for even bigger and heavier flyers to be allowed starting next year (for less pay even...smh). They mostly care about creating or keeping union due paying members.

Ps. The routes are also about to get even longer with the change to the creation of a "router" position, who will just be paid to sort up all the routes, so that letters carriers will have to spend even MORE time on the streets delivering. This madness won't end until 70% of the workforce is on wcb....
Is this a definite thing that will happen or speculation? One of the attractions of the job is that when you have your own route eventually, that you can figure out ways to make it quicker.
Apr 30, 2015
627 posts
409 upvotes
York, ON
There's a pilot project in two depots. The excuse they're using is there is a lack of space for parcels in these particular depots. Personally I think it is very funny timing around contract negotiations. Although honestly the upper management of this company is so clueless.. who knows
Dec 13, 2016
100 posts
7 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:01 pm
There's a pilot project in two depots. The excuse they're using is there is a lack of space for parcels in these particular depots. Personally I think it is very funny timing around contract negotiations. Although honestly the upper management of this company is so clueless.. who knows
Interesting. It does kind of make sense in a corporate way. The hardest part of the training is learning to sort accurately at speed and all the minutae that goes with getting the mail ready. They might be able to get people on the street quicker with it all ready to go. To them it would probably be a bonus that it would stop people from finding more efficient ways as they would probably prefer everyone work 8 hours on the dot.

Of course, it would absolutely suck from a letter carrier pov. But... if it is relatively easy from a brain power pov to actually deliver the mail (compared to preparing it), they could just churn endlessly through young bodies.. reducing wages.. reducing pensions and so on. It's pretty diabolical.

Edit: There is also currently a new pilot training program for letter carriers ongoing so maybe they are exploring different things.
Apr 30, 2015
627 posts
409 upvotes
York, ON
There's endless reasons they might want to do it. Think about alternate day delivery for example. One problem with alternate day delivery is there's not enough space currently to store 2 days of mail everywhere because the entire canada post network is set up for just in time delivery (what gets shipped in that day, gets shipped out that day, every day, no space for storage in depots). Having night sorters would free up the space to do that and it would also solve the logistics of having one carrier sort and deliver different walks every day. Just have the sorter sort around the clock then the carrier comes in and loads whichever walk is going out that day.

Or they could just be using this as a negotiation chip to get something in return during negotiations i.e., we stop the night router pilot in return for heavier flyers or some crap, and it has the added benefit of dividing the membership and keeping the workfloor seperated which seems very important to management. Same mentality behind the two wave system and moving us to mega depots and meal on route. When workers don't take breaks together and don't even know each other the union is weakened.
Oct 12, 2011
112 posts
36 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:18 pm
Same mentality behind the two wave system and moving us to mega depots and meal on route. When workers don't take breaks together and don't even know each other the union is weakened.
Yup, this is textbook 'divide and conquer' union-busting stuff.
Oct 16, 2014
992 posts
615 upvotes
igloo, yukon
Is this a definite thing that will happen or speculation?
As someone mentioned, this is being implemented in a limited capacity. The reply was for 2 depots, but I BELIEVE that it is now down to just one. And yes, lack of space for parcels was the cited reason (which of course, is bs).
Personally I think it is very funny timing around contract negotiations.
Yeah, it's weird how these "great ideas" always seem to pop up right before a new contract.
Interesting. It does kind of make sense in a corporate way. The hardest part of the training is learning to sort accurately at speed and all the minutae that goes with getting the mail ready. They might be able to get people on the street quicker with it all ready to go. To them it would probably be a bonus that it would stop people from finding more efficient ways as they would probably prefer everyone work 8 hours on the dot.
It actually makes no sense, once again, I BELIEVE that this was already attempted way back in the past and was an unmitigated disaster. It COULD help with getting out newbies on the street earlier, however, what if the person that gets the router position is simply terrible at sorting (it is not for everybody). Now you will have 4 people #@$#ed up, instead of just that one. And you are right in that it would now make the LC position way closer to the full 8 hours, but if a regular day now becomes the full 8, can you imagine how much overtime there will be on a heavy day, from senior people who would never had claimed OT in the past???

Not only that, but just think of the increase in the injury rate that will happen to the LC's. More walking? People will be even MORE exhausted than they are now, and will have to spend even more time freezing in the winter. You think the turnover rate is high now? Nobody will last as a letter carrier, especially the newbies.....
Think about alternate day delivery for example
Never going to happen. There are many reasons beyond simply a lack of storage space. It simply is not doable.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1717 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
The plants have some capability to store mail. They definitely sequence mail if you ever notice how one day it is mainly third class and another day it is mostly first class.
Mar 11, 2016
64 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
SLB volumes will jump dramatically from this new system. Got to give the sorters something to do when I don't want to deliver a street or too that day! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Aug 12, 2017
55 posts
14 upvotes
well got called and start my training in 2 weeks...any pointers from the vets here on increasing sortation speed and what not? Also thanks for all the replies while I was going through the hiring process you guys and girls are a wealth of knowledge. (although the whole tie-off thing leaves me bewildered I am sure it will be illuminated for me in training). Thanks again peeps for helping me out during this time.
May 8, 2015
46 posts
22 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
CanadaProud wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:52 am
well got called and start my training in 2 weeks...any pointers from the vets here on increasing sortation speed and what not? Also thanks for all the replies while I was going through the hiring process you guys and girls are a wealth of knowledge. (although the whole tie-off thing leaves me bewildered I am sure it will be illuminated for me in training). Thanks again peeps for helping me out during this time.
Keep doing it and you will slowly get faster at it.

Don't bother practicing it for the test on your own; you cannot fail it unless you try to.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4117 posts
1017 upvotes
Winnipeg
I talked to a letter carrier today that retired in 1995. And he asked how much we are making. His wage back then was around 19.50 an hour. Thought we would be a lot closer to 30. He laughed when he heard the wage.
22 years later and that is what the terms are making.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)