Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 12, 2011
112 posts
36 upvotes
$1.1 BILLION in ad-mail revenue...and we're the ones who took the hit last contract. What a joke.
Aug 12, 2017
60 posts
16 upvotes
Great article but he needs to check his math...whole paragraph on how many seconds per letter for sorting says 4 seconds....my math says 5 seconds...doesn't seem like a bad error until you factor in it is over 10 minutes....or it is my error and I should go back to bed
Jul 6, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 8:08 pm
An interesting write up from a trainee from our depot.

http://www.urkedfreelance.com/adventure ... immer-you/
Thanks for sharing. I arrived at Canada Post in a similar way to the author but was trained in the pre-PT way.
As a former journalist myself I'll just say that it was a fairly entertaining read but not very well written and full of grammatical and style errors. I wonder if there were other reasons behind his job loss...
Dec 5, 2007
8 posts
I just get a call from CP HR that my training for Mail Service Courier (GTA area) will start next week. What should I expect in the training? Any specific dress code?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1718 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Clerks seem to have such an easy time. The amount of time they just hang out during their 8 hours is quite a lot. They should collate flyers for the letter carriers.
Apr 30, 2015
633 posts
414 upvotes
York, ON
That's typical of most jobs. If the runners worked a full eight hours they'd be standing around doing nothing a whole lot too. Or maybe they'd be working at a reasonable pace. Maybe they should collate flyers for other carriers...
Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Or the company could make the letter carrier job resonable so we are not killing ourselves trying to finish.
Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Just wait till you hurt yourself on the job. I'm currently experiencing this right now and they don't give a flying f*#!@ that you hurt yourself, they just want you back at work. They have to get their money's worth out of you as a number. They don't even follow their own light-duty recommendation programs. Constant trips back to the doctor to have the diagnosis ever so perfect for them. They also like to put the scare in you saying light duty can be anywhere in the city at any time of day so you feel pressured into getting back to your regular routine in order to survive as a family. Oh so you can't make a graveyard shift at the plant when regularly work a 10 to 6 shift. Unfortunately your work safe claim will be denied...

When your physical injury turns out to be less of a pain than your emotional trauma from dealing with this company something is wrong.
Oct 16, 2014
993 posts
618 upvotes
igloo, yukon
Slotstuffer wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 11:58 am
Just wait till you hurt yourself on the job. I'm currently experiencing this right now and they don't give a flying f*#!@ that you hurt yourself, they just want you back at work. They have to get their money's worth out of you as a number. They don't even follow their own light-duty recommendation programs. Constant trips back to the doctor to have the diagnosis ever so perfect for them. They also like to put the scare in you saying light duty can be anywhere in the city at any time of day so you feel pressured into getting back to your regular routine in order to survive as a family. Oh so you can't make a graveyard shift at the plant when regularly work a 10 to 6 shift. Unfortunately your work safe claim will be denied...

When your physical injury turns out to be less of a pain than your emotional trauma from dealing with this company something is wrong.
This must be your first injury (of probably many more to come). Don't feel like you are alone in this experience. I can assure you that it is the same experience country wide. They will indeed, scrutinize, nit pick, and twist doctors notes in a way that insures that you feel the most pressure to return to work, whether or not you are ready.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 16, 2014
993 posts
618 upvotes
igloo, yukon
http://www.cupw.ca/sites/default/files/ ... orward.pdf

from the link provided...
C.17: Reduce Overburdening: Adopt all necessary measures
to reduce overburdening of RSMC and letter carriers
including overburdening created by the delivery of admail.
I almost spewed coffee out of my nose when I read this. We got a union that wants to reduce overburdening due to flyers with one hand, and with the hidden hand, they are signing off on having us deliver ikea CATALOGUES by letting them be called FLYERS, with back room agreements. SMH, it would be nice to have both a union and company that cared about our health and safety instead of both just providing lip service to it.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 21, 2013
689 posts
247 upvotes
Montreal
Union cares about one things, the amount of members it has and the amount of money they can collect.

The letter carrier job has been going to the gutter for the past 10 years now the CUPW doesn't give two shits about it.
Sep 11, 2017
5 posts
hi there, does anyone know how long would it take for someone to contact you once you've completed GAT?
what's after GAT? is it physical test?

i find GAT a bit harder than i expected, there was one question which you have to memorize about 15 different patterns in correct order
within 3 seconds..

thanks in advance guys.
Jul 6, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 3:37 pm
This must be your first injury (of probably many more to come). Don't feel like you are alone in this experience. I can assure you that it is the same experience country wide. They will indeed, scrutinize, nit pick, and twist doctors notes in a way that insures that you feel the most pressure to return to work, whether or not you are ready.
I had a similar experience. Firstly, because I was injured on the way to work instead of during work I was initially told that, as a term, I simply could not accept any more assignments until I was 100% fit to return to full duty. At least the union backed me up on that and I was able to get on the accommodations list.
Yep, the forced me to start at a ridiculous early hour doing inside work. When it got really busy around Christmas I was able to sort mail for most of my shifts and I attempted some light delivery but it was too much. After Christmas they started sending me out all over the place at stupid o'clock start times, doing repetitive inside work that actually lead me to develop bursitis and worsen my condition.
I ended up just taking two months off to heal properly and came back to regular duty when I got permanent full time. I'm very careful about overburdening and always sort in my sequenced mail so I can easily break up my loops to avoid it. And I always ask for team delivery on parcels that I think will be too heavy to manage.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 1 guest)

VanMailMan, jonesyjones, pike18, dataRFD