Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
jmomccxx wrote: It refers to when there are uncovered sections and no one volunteers to do them. I've only seen it maybe 5 times over the last year but every depot is different i guess.
Ok that’s what I thought. Rarely happens where I am. It’s been ages.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote: Could they strike the depots on strike today until noon tomorrow? Would we start at noon?
Back to work legislation kicks in at noon eastern. For the next 16 hours the union could call whatever strikes it wants. They could extend everything currently on strike (or go national) until noon, who knows. At our depot the IA's won't be getting in until 6 AM and there won't be any trucks arriving until at least 7:30. It should be a great day for wave 1!
Last edited by mikebc on Nov 26th, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
Never seen forced OT. In all cases Sups always told me to take as much as I can, what I couldn’t take would be taken by temps.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
mikebc wrote: Back to work legislation kicks in at noon eastern. For the next 16 hours the union could call whatever strikes it wants. They could extend everything currently on strike (or go national) until noon, who knows. At our depot the IA's won't be getting in until 6 AM and there won't be any trucks arriving until at least 7:30. It should be a great day for wave 1!
Oh damn lol I’m all confused. It’s EST. Lol my bad :facepalm:
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Hey mikebc, what happens if YVR and your area are listed as striking tomorrow, up until 12 noon? I could see mike and his childish colleagues doing this.

Does that mean people HAVE to show up mid shift? Hmmmm
yea this is what i want to know. Edit... ah Eastern time. so, I would be starting an hour late.
Last edited by jmomccxx on Nov 26th, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
I think they'd have to show up and "complete their shift". There would be nothing there to take out though. It's probably cheaper for CP to lock us out if that was the case.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
mikebc wrote: I think they'd have to show up and "complete their shift". There would be nothing there to take out though. It's probably cheaper for CP to lock us out if that was the case.
I don't think they can lock us out, right?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
I'm sure they won't but that doesn't mean they can't. It would look awfully bad for them if they did.
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
It’s obvious that nobody would be at the picket lines tomorrow, everyone would be arriving at 12pm, 1st and 2nd wave fighting for cases and spare cases, and docks... it’s gonna be fun!!
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
So Mike and his negotiators say “Under the new legislation, the union said postal workers will be forced to go back to work under the old collective agreement, which it asserted would result in at least 315 disabling injuries and thousands of hours of forced, unpaid overtime.”

What does he mean by “thousands of hours of forced, unpaid overtime”????????

Who works for free? Am I missing something. Or is he referring to the rural routers even though he doesn’t say That?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
SpeedyLC wrote: It’s obvious that nobody would be at the picket lines tomorrow, everyone would be arriving at 12pm, 1st and 2nd wave fighting for cases and spare cases, and docks... it’s gonna be fun!!
Brothers and sisters never fight do they??
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jmomccxx wrote: I don't think they can lock us out, right?
No. Old contract is back in effect until the arbitrator rules....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Nov 12, 2017
199 posts
195 upvotes
Is CUPW having a tantrum?
Put everything on strike right before the legislation comes into effect.
What are they trying to achieve other than delaying everyone's mail for another day?

On the bright side, I am probably getting some hearty overtime tomorrow night at the plant.
Last edited by leyland1989 on Nov 26th, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
Mike can relax now, and not to worry thanks to his assinine union CMBs will replace door to door and all those disabling injuries will decrease.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
leyland1989 wrote: Is CUPW having a tantrum?
Put everything on strike right before the legislation comes into effect.
What are they trying to achieve other than delaying everyone's mail for another day?

Oh the bright side, I am probably getting some hearty overtime tomorrow night at the plant.
Yea, seems pretty petty.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
trellaine201 wrote: So Mike and his negotiators say “Under the new legislation, the union said postal workers will be forced to go back to work under the old collective agreement, which it asserted would result in at least 315 disabling injuries and thousands of hours of forced, unpaid overtime.”

What does he mean by “thousands of hours of forced, unpaid overtime”????????

Who works for free? Am I missing something. Or is he referring to the rural routers even though he doesn’t say That?
Rsmc's. If their route is set up as a "4 hour route" and it takes them 6 hours, they still only get paid for 4. Pretty amazing for this day and age, isn't it? And with the Xmas season upon us, you can be even more sure that they will be working for free....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
stalbert1 wrote: Brothers and sisters never fight do they??
Omg 25 years and what is brothers and sisters?? I have two brothers , they live in ON and I have no sisters.

Union is so old fashioned.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
timetotellthetruth wrote: Rsmc's. If their route is set up as a "4 hour route" and it takes them 6 hours, they still only get paid for 4. Pretty amazing for this day and age, isn't it? And with the Xmas season upon us, you can be even more sure that they will be working for free....
Awww okay. Mike should have mentioned that.
Last edited by trellaine201 on Nov 26th, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2018
35 posts
47 upvotes
They can't legally lock us out, and obviously they won't, but it would be pretty hilarious if the corporation was the one to defy the legislation at this point, just out of spite.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
From the bulletin:
Going back to work under the old collective agreements means that between now and the holidays:

At least 315 disabling injuries will happen to postal workers;
Rural and Suburban Mail Carriers (RSMC) will work roughly 250,000 hours without pay;
Urban postal workers will work thousands of hours of forced overtime;
RSMCs will continue to be treated, as Canada Post calls it, with “equity but not equality”.
8,000 RSMC positions, implying that they will each work 31.25 hours of OT for free. (90 days = 13 weeks = 26 weekends = 64 working days) by 31.25 is half an hour a day. Ehh, plausible but unlikely. <-- ignore this

20 working days until Christmas, not 90. So the bulletin implies that EACH RSMC IN CANADA WILL WORK.. an hour and a half of OT, everyday, for free, from now until Christmas. Piss off.

RSMC's can also track their weekly parcels and apply for payment top-ups based on if they're over volume. LC's can't.

edits: nevermind, the bulletin says between "now and the holidays". I did maths for 90 days (the duration of the legislation before arbitration).
Last edited by mikebc on Nov 26th, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 4 guests)

explorer11, dilbertojonesy, RuralMailGuy, timetotellthetruth