Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1013 posts
630 upvotes
igloo, yukon
exMOHAX wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:04 pm
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what happens to our pay in case we get called for jury duty? It hasn't happened to me but today I received the standard questionnaire from the Ministry of the Attorney General and I would like to be prepared in case this happens in the future. Oh, and I am FT LC.

Thanks!
Don't know if it matters if you are permanent or not, but it is in the collective agreement that you will get paid your regular time when on jury duty....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Sep 2, 2011
262 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 12:05 am
Don't know if it matters if you are permanent or not, but it is in the collective agreement that you will get paid your regular time when on jury duty....
Thank you
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1072 posts
264 upvotes
Westside
Finally made the decision to transfer from LC > PO4. I've been off work awhile due to medical reasons. I already put in my request as temp but the union suggested I fill out another for; FT PO4, PT PO4, FT LC, PT LC. I have enough seniority to go FT LC but I don't want to do LC at this time and definitely not FT. Can anyone comment why the union would suggest this order? Would it be to get my FT status right away and give me priority for FT/PT PO4? Thanks in advance.
Oct 6, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Friends, I have an interview with Canada post on Tuesday for regular on-call postal clerk. I also have a phone interview for a BMO contact center associate position, so I may be getting that job as well.

So my question is, how many hours can I expect for the Canada Post position? Because if it's for a few hours a week, I could take the BMO call center job (if I get it) and then do the Canada Post on the side for the money and experience to put on my resume.
Aug 12, 2017
75 posts
19 upvotes
well being On-Call you essentially choose when you will be working.( Do not tell them that in interview!!) however depending on depot some really monitor your refusal of shifts...I would guess clerks will get real busy starting once your training is over. (I am currently going through LC training and they essentially told us that if we have a current job to try and keep it because you simply don't know when you might go a week or two without getting hours...or..you could get into a long term covering of an injury or a maternity leave or something....but really as on call you can control what hours you work as the system is automated..you will get a call or text and you either accept it or you don't.
Apr 20, 2013
224 posts
92 upvotes
CanadaProud wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:47 pm
you could get into a long term covering of an injury or a maternity leave or something....
I'm not saying it couldn't ever happen, but I personally have never seen a long term assignment like that go to a temp. Those are covered by in-house FT RLC covering "sick/other" rather than annual leave. Maybe if that particular depot was short on RLC's for some reason?
Sep 3, 2017
7 posts
Hey all,
Looking for some help/advice if at all possible, started working as part time LC after training in July in Montreal area. Immediately started receiving calls from "Port d'attache" ie. human beings calling to offer either day to day or week long assignments, but, not at my "assigned depot". I accepted pretty much everything.
Around September 14th, the person told me I'd be getting a call from "Eclipse system" to offer me week long work at my "assigned depot". Never got the call and we then established that my phone # was not in the "Eclipse" system and he manually entered it and gave me the assignment for the week. This would prove to be problematic as far as previous missed calls.
Now this Friday October 6th I received a letter saying I had refused 3 of 6 offers for the period July 23rd to October 23rd and that was "unacceptable and if I continue to demonstrate unreasonable availability we will review your employment status" (I can quote at length if needed!). When I look on the website, one refusal is 08/28 and I NEVER received a call and TWO are for 09/01 where I had told the person beforehand that I had a dentists appointment (but yet had never in previous two months had an offer as LC at my "assigned depot" and when mentioned at the time to the person making the offers said he'd look into it...)
So just to be clear I never got a call and refused an assignment as LC at my depot.
I also had a weeklong part time assignment at my depot that seems to be omitted from this whole thing.
During this time period there were 44 working days available and I worked full or part time on 41 of them, mostly weeklong assignments and not at my assigned depot. I'm not sure if these days don't count as accepted assignments or as "on-call". If that were the case perhaps I'd be better to refuse those and accept day to day on call work.

I'm very sorry for the long winded rambling post but I've really been working hard to make this job work and have actually been enjoying the experience overall. About half of the 10 people that passed training with me in July have already quit and yet I've been loving it and now totally out of the blue (for me at least, maybe I'm not too bright) this letter has ruined everything (I can't stop thinking about it).
I have extremely detailed notes about call times, offers, hours, problems, etc. and wondering if anyone could help me with some advice.
BTW before this situation I've really enjoyed reading this board and found so much helpful information on here!

Thanks in advance if anyone can give me some guidance
Apr 30, 2017
91 posts
56 upvotes
brian6d wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 2:12 am

You can try talking to staffing, and explain your absences.

You only get terminated after getting 3 consecutive letters, so your good for now. The acceptance rate use to be 50%, now they average the acceptance rate from the list you work on so it changes every time they evaluate employees.

You can also grieve your letter, but the union will not take any actions until you get fired, (some ****ing stupid clause in our agreement article 9.106)

If you do lose your job, union will proceed with the grievance and it ends up in arbitration, it usually takes 3-6 months to get your job back, and you do not get compensated.

union does not give a **** about temps, I learned this with my experience above, if they truly did they would negotiate what the **** "reasonable availability" means and have it put in writing with a set percentage or so.
May 2, 2012
588 posts
209 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Shafted1 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 3:48 am

You only get terminated after getting 3 consecutive letters, so your good for now. The acceptance rate use to be 50%, now they average the acceptance rate from the list you work on so it changes every time they evaluate employees.

You can also grieve your letter, but the union will not take any actions until you get fired, (some ****ing stupid clause in our agreement article 9.106)

If you do lose your job, union will proceed with the grievance and it ends up in arbitration, it usually takes 3-6 months to get your job back, and you do not get compensated.

union does not give a **** about temps, I learned this with my experience above, if they truly did they would negotiate what the **** "reasonable availability" means and have it put in writing with a set percentage or so.
While the language is very grey regarding, “reasonable availability”, there is mainly because a precedent has already been set in arbitration. There has already been numerous grievances regarding the eclipse system and the new method you mentioned on how they determine an employee’s acceptance rate.

I would recommend keeping detailed notes and presenting these to both CUPW and CPC, while formally requesting the letter of refusal be removed from your file in writing.

A paper trail is your best route here, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the Letters. Most of us have had at least one in the past.
Sep 6, 2015
65 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
brian6d wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 2:12 am
Hey all,
Looking for some help/advice if at all possible, started working as part time LC after training in July in Montreal area. Immediately started receiving calls from "Port d'attache" ie. human beings calling to offer either day to day or week long assignments, but, not at my "assigned depot". I accepted pretty much everything.
Around September 14th, the person told me I'd be getting a call from "Eclipse system" to offer me week long work at my "assigned depot". Never got the call and we then established that my phone # was not in the "Eclipse" system and he manually entered it and gave me the assignment for the week. This would prove to be problematic as far as previous missed calls.
Now this Friday October 6th I received a letter saying I had refused 3 of 6 offers for the period July 23rd to October 23rd and that was "unacceptable and if I continue to demonstrate unreasonable availability we will review your employment status" (I can quote at length if needed!). When I look on the website, one refusal is 08/28 and I NEVER received a call and TWO are for 09/01 where I had told the person beforehand that I had a dentists appointment (but yet had never in previous two months had an offer as LC at my "assigned depot" and when mentioned at the time to the person making the offers said he'd look into it...)
So just to be clear I never got a call and refused an assignment as LC at my depot.
I also had a weeklong part time assignment at my depot that seems to be omitted from this whole thing.
During this time period there were 44 working days available and I worked full or part time on 41 of them, mostly weeklong assignments and not at my assigned depot. I'm not sure if these days don't count as accepted assignments or as "on-call". If that were the case perhaps I'd be better to refuse those and accept day to day on call work.

I'm very sorry for the long winded rambling post but I've really been working hard to make this job work and have actually been enjoying the experience overall. About half of the 10 people that passed training with me in July have already quit and yet I've been loving it and now totally out of the blue (for me at least, maybe I'm not too bright) this letter has ruined everything (I can't stop thinking about it).
I have extremely detailed notes about call times, offers, hours, problems, etc. and wondering if anyone could help me with some advice.
BTW before this situation I've really enjoyed reading this board and found so much helpful information on here!

After my LC training, I ignored 4 calls from Eclipse and also refused 1 call during that two week. I did not receive any letter from CP about my absence.

Have you completed your 480 hours yet?
Sep 3, 2017
7 posts
Shafted1 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks for the info, hopefully it'll work out!
Sep 3, 2017
7 posts
pike18 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 6:44 am
While the language is very grey regarding, “reasonable availability”, there is mainly because a precedent has already been set in arbitration. There has already been numerous grievances regarding the eclipse system and the new method you mentioned on how they determine an employee’s acceptance rate.

I would recommend keeping detailed notes and presenting these to both CUPW and CPC, while formally requesting the letter of refusal be removed from your file in writing.

A paper trail is your best route here, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the Letters. Most of us have had at least one in the past.
Thanks! From what I see and read it kinda feels like the letters are somewhat random and don't necessarily reflect whether people are actually refusing or accepting work. Appreciate the response.
Sep 3, 2017
7 posts
K24Slow wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 1:33 pm
After my LC training, I ignored 4 calls from Eclipse and also refused 1 call during that two week. I did not receive any letter from CP about my absence.

Have you completed your 480 hours yet?
Haven't completed the 480 hours, I believe I'm somewhere around 420.

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 7 guests)

CanadaProud, digression