Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 3, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
digression wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:32 pm
You didn't give your location, but in my zone, with nearly a year in, you'd be on the verge of getting hired permanently. Even if that's not the case where you are, it is October, and the work opportunities for temps is about to skyrocket.

From what I understand, working at the RPO/Shoppers is a job at Shoppers, NOT Canada Post, and pays minimum wage. It's only Retail Op's if it's a retail outlet in an actual post office, and there are not many of those around any more.

My advice - stay where you are and sit tight - you are about to get lots of hours, and probably get hired soon! If you are really short on cash, get something else part time on weekends only for now that you can easily quit once things at CP get busy....restaurant business is good for jobs like that.

Good luck!

P.S. - when you do start getting called again - Book. Your. Overtime!!!

thanks so much!
Oct 3, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:51 pm
Just wait it out. I remember the stresses of being on the bench after my training. I was about to commit 10 grand to go back to school, and the week after I got a call for an assignment. Ended up doing 2 months on that route and got steady 40 hours shortly after. Now Im Permanent with my own route. I have about 2 years and 1 month in.
thanks so much! Winking Face
Sep 6, 2015
50 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
jadoo2015 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 10:09 am
K24Slow
After how long you received your letter of offer after sending your security screening documents?
I sent my security screening papers for postel clerk Po4 last week and now waiting for the offer letter .
I don't remember having to submit any "physical" security screening documents. As a LC, I only remember bringing my driver's abstract and 2 pieces of gov't ID. Not sure if the process for PO4 is different for a LC.

However, the entire hiring process for me was about 2-3 weeks including the interview and physical test.
Dec 7, 2014
18 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
So, last Thursday, I received the letter of offer including my training date and location as well as other stuff I have to sign, that day as well I scanned all docs, signed it that I agree to all of it, was told that I will be sent another email for the new hire zone site log in as well as the training schedule for the next few weeks

I still haven't received any emails back, knowing how long the hiring process took, I would assume it's perfectly normal to not receive any emails yet from HR. Plus it being a Thanksgiving holiday too.

So, wait it out some more or email them just to reconfirm that they received all necessary documents?

Thanks!
Oct 13, 2008
11 posts
mississauga
I’m still waiting for my offer... hopefully after peak season I’ll still have a job as a LC supervisor. I am really excited for this opportunity.
May 8, 2007
942 posts
227 upvotes
Westside
I remember the enthusiasm I had at first through hiring and training process haha^ That was very short lived. Starting at this time of year is going to be a nightmare for even the most seasoned worker. Best of luck :)
Oct 13, 2008
11 posts
mississauga
How long have you been working? Do you have a permanent position ? Seems like CP only hires temp-permanent.
May 8, 2007
942 posts
227 upvotes
Westside
cmedeiros wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:20 pm
How long have you been working? Do you have a permanent position ? Seems like CP only hires temp-permanent.
Almost a year and a half and I haven't wanted permanent. Everyone's situation is different. Others from my class became perm FT in less than a year. I don't see myself ever doing LC FT. It's extremely demanding and they don't pay me enough for what's expected. Dealt with my share of bs early on as a LC. I recently put in a request for PO4 so I'm just waiting on my transfer to the plant. All the best!
Oct 13, 2008
11 posts
mississauga
I applied for LC supervisor so I guess it’s totally different, the wait for FT etc.
Jun 20, 2016
9 posts
I passed the physical yesterday and awaiting a call/offer. Do they send the offer by xpresspost still or just email.

Not sure if this has been posted but if you are re-applying then a passed physical is good for 6 months and the successful interview is good for 1 year.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15812 posts
564 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Is there a vote or something soon? I heard a co-worker mention something but didn't get much info.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10355 posts
2059 upvotes
GTA
Buddy of mine got called today to come for the interview and physical at Eastern on Thursday. Do they now do them at the same place?

I'm tried to persuade him not to apply :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15812 posts
564 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
For the voting thing are we voting yes or no? I dont think there was any discussion on here on which way y'all are voting
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Sep 6, 2015
50 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:35 pm
Buddy of mine got called today to come for the interview and physical at Eastern on Thursday. Do they now do them at the same place?

I'm tried to persuade him not to apply :)

Not sure if the process has changed recently or what not, but during my time, the physical test was done at a CBI Health location.

As a friend, why would you persuade not to apply?

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 6 guests)

dielan, Slotstuffer